Thread: Allied races

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    IIRC they meant subraces = new customization options, not entire new not-fully develope races as we have right now.

But thats just my opinion.
    Yeah, the original requests for subraces were to basically just add the customization options in to the original races. Add some mag'har skin colors to Orcs, give Dwarves tattoo options and a Dark Iron skin, let Tauren choose different styles of horns/faces, give Humans different body types, etc...

Instead they made them into separate races that they sunk a bunch of time and resources into, seemingly so that they could make it a time-gated expansion feature.

I appreciate the extra aesthetic details that they put in with heritage armor and all that, but imo, it really wasn't worth sacrificing a couple of actual new races as well as extra customization options for the races that we've all been playing already.
    Last edited by Rexosaurus; 2018-10-21 at 03:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Of course you dont see them.

Blizzard gates them all through tons of requirements for each of them. Not only that, but also forces players to chose between playing the race right away after unlock or wait a bit longer and level from 20 till 120 to get the heritage.

With all those barriers, it is natural that many people give up after a while because of the eternal grinding fest.

They could have tons of race changes and boosts from new or returned players. But its seems blizzard wants allied races to be a prestige award instead of feature for all players.

Is that the best design for wow right now? Honestly i dont think so, but im not blizzard. It is their game after all.
    Exactly. Allied races are reward and only those who put effort deserver to play them. You just want again as usual everything for doing nothing free handed to you. You dont deserve to play game content just becouse you have paid for it. Put effort or stick to your race.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    What's the deal with them anyway? People keep speaking about them all the time as if that's the best sht BfA introduced, while in reality you can't even see much of your character as ~90% of your character is covered up in gear, sometimes even 99% as there are helmets that covers even your characters head.
    Why couldn't they just add more options to already existing races which would expand customization options to already existing races as well as "allied races"? They are for the same race anyway (that is broznebeards and dark irons, bloodhoofs and highmountains). For instance dwarfs had always options to make them look pretty much like dark irons or wildhammers (which afaik don't differ physically at all from bronzebeards save for tribal tatoos)
    The worst offender here are "lightforged draeneis" they are terrible in every way. They totally don't feel like different race but rather something akin to class(?).

Oh and pretty much every allied race racial is terrible and boring and doesn't bring anything interesting, which is quite understandable as even out of all orginal races only few had something interesting and unique.
    why would you want expanded customisation to already existing races when you can't even see much of your character cuz 90% of the character is covered up in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Exactly. Allied races are reward and only those who put effort deserver to play them. You just want again as usual everything for doing nothing free handed to you. You dont deserve to play game content just becouse you have paid for it. Put effort or stick to your race.
    Im not sure if that answer is directed at me or to everyone who reads your reply, but im going to assume it is for everyone who reads it as you do not know me or know what effort i put ingame.

The real issue here is what blizzard wants to do with allied races. Does blizzard want them to be a success and accessible to everyone or wants them to be prestige, reducing their numbers? That is the question Blizzard should ask for itself.

Maybe there are real reasons why so many people are unhappy in this expasion, even though the zones and leveling experiences are wonderful.

I like the idea of allied races, but they shouldn't come in place of brand new races like the blood elves, draenei, worgen, goblins and pandaren. We haven't actually had a new non neutral race since Cata. The allied races are just to similiar to their counterparts who are already in game, though some look much more different than the other (void elves to blood elves, nightborne to night elves) and some look just way to similiar to the point that I don't see the point in making them playable (Highmountain to taurens, Lightforged to normal draenei).

What I also liked about brand new races were that they used to tie well into the expansion, with TBC being the prime example considering the draenei and blood elves were a vocal point of the lore. They even ended up teaming together to defeat Kil'jaeden. Now when we get a new race, they are usually just forgotten after their styarting experience. I also like the new zones, lore and art that come from new races. Something that they don't do for allied races.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    my only hope is, sometimes there will be an AR that isnt just a cheap reskin of existing playermodels and come with a run animation that dont look like some idiotic manga shit..
    Oh yes, I agree so much with this
    Running animations are quite terrible across the board, way too "disney-y" and wobbly, old animations had that "crisp" rigidness I and many others liked.
    Worst are male orcs, male trolls, male taurens and nelves imho. Its unbearable.
    Male dwarfs are passable, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    why would you want expanded customisation to already existing races when you can't even see much of your character cuz 90% of the character is covered up in gear.
    because that's just that; its easy and fast addition for times you actually do
    allied races requite sooo much more work for very little gain