Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ...
    Quite simple.

Wow killed all other MMORPGs...

And now people are realizing that WoW is actually a pile of boring, repetitive crap which offers 0 challenge unless at the absolute highest level of play, and even then, only for about one week before the top guild finishes the content that was released with the new patch.

I played EQ, Shadow of Luclin, Vex Thal existed and was available, including all mobs, from the get go... But it took FoH AGES to actually play through the whole content and actually key up, get in there, and several more weeks to actually figure the encounters and beat them.

Even party content was not easy, if you were not geared... And gearing was much more difficult than it ever was in WoW (I laugh my ass off when people saying WoW classic is "hard"...). And if you messed up by unmezzing a mob, you'd die quite quickly anyway. It required more skill and coordination as a team in a day where voice communication was bad or nonexistent compared to today.

Yes, sure, the new "bosses" and "mechanics" and gimmicks are more numerous than and more varied than they were in EQ... But I have never felt the same thrill as being rezzed by a rogue in a deep corridor of Vex Thal and having to coth people one by one as the rogue used all his defensive disciplines to keep the wandering mobs up until there were enough people to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Why do you imply that a new player is a complete retard incapable of understanding basic progression? By doing available content he'll eventually (in a matter of weeks) reach 120 and will do appropriate content, like literally everyone else. If he'll want to pick another character - he will (and most likely will pick a different route to reach max level).

Sure, level cap has doubled, but time investment to reach level cap went down significantly. If big numbers are scary and confusing to you - how did you even survive legion?

Stop pretending that new players are idiots and i'll call this even then.
    Spending weeks grinding outdated content just to get to the current game is the exact issue i am talking about. I am very pleased we agree that is an issue, and is absolutely turning players off. It is not :literally: everyone else. They are the absolute minority. The vast majority of players have current characters and have access to the current content the moment it launches. The way you frame it every time a new expansion comes out we "literally" all have to start from level 1 again. So no, it is the exact opposite of "literally everyone else".

Did i survive legion? what on earth does that have to do with a NEW PLAYER. Yet again you apply experienced player knowledge and experience to a brand new player looking for a game to play.

MMOs aren't dying, just WoW. There doesn't even need to be a "WoW killer" because it's dying to it's own greed and shit choices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexme View Post
    MMOs aren't dying, just WoW. There doesn't even need to be a "WoW killer" because it's dying to it's own greed and shit choices.
    Lets not be that harsh

Whats happening is that Blizzard refuses to innovate.
    Blizzard was never known for innovation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexme View Post
    Slowest death I've ever seen. Still the biggest MMO out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Slowest death I've ever seen. Still the biggest MMO out there.
    The death of WoW will be like someone going bankrupt: it will happen slowly, and then suddenly.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The death of WoW will be like someone going bankrupt: it will happen slowly, and then suddenly.
    I guess so, but I mean it always strikes me as funny. It is always dying. It has been dying since TBC according to some people. I mean hell there are older MMOs out there that are still 'dying' like EverQuest. Someday sure another MMO will take over the reins as the top dog assuming companies want to keep making them but damn if people aren't in a hurry to call WoW a corpse when it isn't dead.

Wow is basically in the nursing home at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    highly unlikely . epecially that blizzard clearly found the the solution for next 20 years of making remasters of old game and old expansions.

look at the hype for W3 R - withut a doubt next games that will follow will be D 2 and then W 1& 2 and D 1 .

why reinvent the wheel when people clearly want to pay for 2-3 decade old games.

Deleted
    Death? No. I mean even fucking Rift is still around, and game is so extremely dead.
    No idea why they killed Wildstar. I mean if Rift can still exist as undead, was Wildstar really so bad that it can't even be a zombie?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You don't need to finish 14+ years of content to get to current endgame. That's ridiculous argument, because it's a lie. All you need to do is to reach 120 on any of your characters - boom, hello endgame content.
    Yep that is right, but for example if that is the case, you better totally skip timewalking dungeons, because the pain would be real.

No one has "time" anymore for the old, grindy mmo type games anymore. At least, that seems to be what the most vocal people say, and what companies seem to think.

I'm biased AF, but I still think there is plenty of a market for wow vanilla esque types of mmos.

Pantheon, god willing it ever sees the light of day, will be a pretty big test of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    No one has "time" anymore for the old, grindy mmo type games anymore. At least, that seems to be what the most vocal people say, and what companies seem to think.

I'm biased AF, but I still think there is plenty of a market for wow vanilla esque types of mmos.

Pantheon, god willing it ever sees the light of day, will be a pretty big test of that.
    well then we will see who was correct in under a year. because clearly the evidence in form of multiple dead mmorpgs was not enough.

people will continiue to spread this nonsense untill classic will prove that after initial burst most of classic servers will be empty like hell.

I think the MMORPG genre is gonna be sleeping for a few years, and come back in maybe 10/15 years at a whole new level of immersion. The feeling of "discovery" is gone. It's not "waow dragons and legendary artefacts!" anymore, but "Meh, another game with generic fantasy, I've seen that already". To be fair, I think it's not a bad thing if this time of games slowly disappear for a few years, only to make a huge come back at some point.

But WoW isn't going anywhere in the following years, so strictly speaking, I don't think the MMORPG type will be dead per-se.

I have no idea about World of Warcraft anymore since I stopped around mid-Legion, returned to level to 120 in BFA and then stopped immediately after. I'm not too impressed with the game anymore, so I've been playing FFXIV instead.

Will come back to WoW when Classic launches, but it will be difficult to balance both Classic and the new FFXIV expansion.

How many people are playing different MMORPGs and MMORPG-like games worldwide? I'm sure the number is gigantic. All that has been happening in recent years is that WoW has been dropping subscriptions and many "WoW copies" did not succeed.

There's too many games and many who play the games aren't even aware of all games there are available. When I played Runescape, I wasn't aware of Everquest, Ultima Online and so forth.

Another thing that has changed is that F2P, B2P and micro-transaction models have stolen market share from subscription models.
    Last edited by Kharym; 2018-11-23 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyAnatoliy View Post
    mmorpgs have been being dead since 2010~, when mobas buried em
    MOBAs buried RTS'.

MOBAs and RPGs have nothing in common. It's like saying FPS' buried racing games.