Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't about innovative gameplay or the combat system WoW uses, its about engaging gameplay that makes me want to login every day. BfA is sorely lacking this. Say what you want about Azerite Gear or ability pruning, its valid but can be overlooked if when I logged in their was engaging content. World Quests seem so out of place in BfA... they do nothing to advance the story. Honestly speaking they could have created Daily Hubs in each zone that advance the story, Opposite faction hubs in Kul'Tiras and Zandalar that advance the story. Why did they Alliance gather some heroes to attack Uldir, Why is Drustvar this eerie place with what seems like mind controlled patrols of Kul'Tiran humans. Mists did this very well over the course of the expansion, the WQ model worked in Legion as you had a centralized enemy to counter but in BfA it seems that we have no idea what we are fighting and why (especially if you are the opposing faction). Engaging to me means I log in and really don't care about the emissary and/or where the most AP is. Engaging is ohh cool a round of dailies in Stormsong Valley, maybe I will get a feel of why this zone is important.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Isn't tab targetting kinda like keyboard turning? If you dont know any better you do that. I have nameplates on and just click the targets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Isn't tab targetting kinda like keyboard turning? If you dont know any better you do that. I have nameplates on and just click the targets.
    I can see there is a lot of confusion when it comes to what i mean with "tab targeting"

Here is a nice post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comm...geting_action/

WoW - Tab Targeting Combat
    Guild Wars 2 - Hybrid of action combat and tab targeting
    Black Desert Online - Pure Action combat

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I can see there is a lot of confusion when it comes to what i mean with "tab targeting"

Here is a nice post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comm...geting_action/

WoW - Tab Targeting Combat
    Guild Wars 2 - Hybrid of action combat and tab targeting
    Black Desert Online - Pure Action combat
    I'm not really interested in semantics.

Not sure how you would create more innovative gameplay by removing it. Any example of innovative gameplay that wouldn't work in all three kinds of combat?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont like "Action Combat" or w/e you want to call it, I like tab targeting, i like hit/expertise (back when it was a thing)

WoW could add dodge rolls and instantly gain innovation that's already been done before. Nothing else would have to change. Just add dodge rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    How about how bad Island expeditions and warfronts are?

Arent they bad JUST because its a tab targeting system?
    same could be said about dungeons, raids, questing and anything involving you attacking something. People tab target in all those situations.

WF gets hate because its just a hollow feature on something that could have been so, so awesome. When prestented it looked like a ongoing fight in a well know zone. An ongoing fight between A & H with lots of action and stuff to do.

What did we get? A instanced WF that ends after 20-30 minutes were you can almost afk all of it without issues, rewarded with epics. After that first run there is no reason to do it anymore. It also goes away for your faction for almost 1 week at a time, and is replaced by dailies that got nothing to do with the faction war.

The feature just gets boring very fast. Sad, cause it can be really cool.

Same with IE really. The feature is cool, but it falls flat cause it feels cheap, without real purpose and it obviously lacks more dev time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    It isn't about innovative gameplay or the combat system WoW uses, its about engaging gameplay that makes me want to login every day. BfA is sorely lacking this. Say what you want about Azerite Gear or ability pruning, its valid but can be overlooked if when I logged in their was engaging content. World Quests seem so out of place in BfA... they do nothing to advance the story. Honestly speaking they could have created Daily Hubs in each zone that advance the story, Opposite faction hubs in Kul'Tiras and Zandalar that advance the story. Why did they Alliance gather some heroes to attack Uldir, Why is Drustvar this eerie place with what seems like mind controlled patrols of Kul'Tiran humans. Mists did this very well over the course of the expansion, the WQ model worked in Legion as you had a centralized enemy to counter but in BfA it seems that we have no idea what we are fighting and why (especially if you are the opposing faction). Engaging to me means I log in and really don't care about the emissary and/or where the most AP is. Engaging is ohh cool a round of dailies in Stormsong Valley, maybe I will get a feel of why this zone is important.
    Yeah I agree with you. In BfA you MUST play both factions in order to know whats going on in both places. They could have avoided this by doing as you suggested, or something like that.

Thats engaging content. Got nothing to do with tab targeting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    snip
    Seriously we could have no ability to keybind and no name plates for specific targeting but if the content is fun and engaging people will log in and play.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    Seriously we could have no ability to keybind and no name plates for specific targeting but if the content is fun and engaging people will log in and play.
    Yup. Im happy with how the gameplay is in wow, generally. Always been.

Its all about the content in wow. If its fun and engaging, people will play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tab targeting definitely leaves more to be desired, though I think it's just a way to interact with the game. Content can still be fun and innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    He means you are wrong and tab targeting is a system not an action.
    I still dont care.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    What's wrong with tab targeting?
    Well - nothing at all, I have literally no other way of targeting - so without it I'm screwed.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoaThaFett View Post
    By "some people" dont you just mean yourself and your 100 spam threads talking about the same thing, with like 3 or 4 others agreeing across those 100 spam threads?

I can literally google search "shadowpunkz" and "innovation" in the same search, and what do you know, those results

thank you so much for calling OP out. The dude posts more than a teenage girl whose parents just allowed to have social media. Doesn't post anything constructive, or creative, or even interesting. Just posts to post and see the post.

If I could sir LoaThaFett, I'd give you my +1.

WoW is not an action game and doesn't need to be. It needs Cata or MoP era class design.

Deleted
    I've been thinking about the same OP..

I think WoW needs to update their engine to keep people entertained - but then it wouldn't be WoW anymore.

The Immortals trailer showed some new mechanics, but PC prob. won't see those changes.. (And it's a different game I know.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malSheep View Post
    I've been thinking about the same OP..

I think WoW needs to update their engine to keep people entertained - but then it wouldn't be WoW anymore.

The Immortals trailer showed some new mechanics, but PC prob. won't see those changes.. (And it's a different game I know.)
    Cool

Yeah, ive been wondering if the game's engine has been holding WoW back also.

People complain they want to play something new and interesting that is not IE or warfronts...but what could be done with this engine?

No.

When people complain about WoW's combat, they are speaking about it's current lack of depth in talents, Azerite (previously tier and legendary) choices and the flow of rotations. They're not saying "We should have to aim every single ability and become an Action-RPG!".

I don't want to play an action MMORPG. I know many others share this exact feeling. I just want the game to be as deep as it used to be, and also not based entirely on RNG.

There are dozens of Action MMOs where you have to press and aim every single auto attack. I find that boring and spammy. If you really desire to play a game with that combat, there are plenty available. Why WoW has to change to suit an audience that could be pleased by playing something else?

Edit- I also fail to see your point about Warfronts and Island Expeditions.

Making WoW and action-RPG wouldn't make any of these content any more interesting, because their issue is that they are:

(1) repetitive
    (2) unrewarding
    (3) unchallenging

That's it. Your examples of Island Expeditions is even worse because in IEs, most abilities are already telegraphed, which makes it EVEN WORSE that you have to do a bunch of them every week, not better - it makes it a chore that you have to be paying attention to.
    Last edited by bewbew; 2018-12-09 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think WoW definitely could innovate. Take Eye Beam and HPallys' Light of Dawn. Those work regardless of the target. Other spells could be amended to work the same. Mangle now hits a spot in front of you. If there's an enemy in that spot they take 100% damage. If there are 3 enemies, the closest takes 100% damage and the other 2 take 10% splash damage. Your "target" now only helps you show health and won't affect whether or not you damage them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by LoaThaFett View Post
    By "some people" dont you just mean yourself and your 100 spam threads talking about the same thing, with like 3 or 4 others agreeing across those 100 spam threads?

I can literally google search "shadowpunkz" and "innovation" in the same search, and what do you know, those results
    I like this thread its an interesting topic.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!