Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just gonna say it, I never understood the appeal of a Housing System.

There's one in FFXIV and I never use it. Why should I? The game's more fun when you're out in the open with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    And yet transmogging is now integral part of the game, somehow pleasing more than 2% of population. If anything, game needs more such mechanics, which aren't directly tied to any specific patch/expansion but instead become core features.
    Nah, transmog is the thing i can see every second of my gameplay and its simple as I want that big ass sword to show other noobs how megasuperawesome I am as for housing i really dont care what pixelated picture is hanging on my pixelalated houses wall, heck i dont care what pictures are hanging in my real house why should i care about some ingame housing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhiosis View Post
    "useless feature" is incredibly subjective and short sighted. WoWs side games are arguably what have given the game its shelf life up to this point. Just because you don't want the feature doesn't mean its a waste of time. I've never done a pet battle, don't care to ever do a pet battle, but other people find them immensely enjoying. See how that works?
    housing is a massive feature, and would require a shit load of dev time. the same dev time could instead be used on more non-accessory related content. SIMS are great games for housing, Two Point Hospital is good for that too, the core of WoW is the dungeons/raids/pvp/professions, and thats what i would love to see them improve with their resources, instead of putting them towards making wow into a different game

Quote Originally Posted by BadguyNotBadGuy View Post
    housing is a massive feature, and would require a shit load of dev time. the same dev time could instead be used on more non-accessory related content. SIMS are great games for housing, Two Point Hospital is good for that too, the core of WoW is the dungeons/raids/pvp/professions, and thats what i would love to see them improve with their resources, instead of putting them towards making wow into a different game
    The "core" of WoW being "dungeons/raids/pvp/professions" is a completely arbitrary distinction. For most of Vanilla WoW, the overwhelming majority of players had never even SEEN a raid. Blizzard has also always struggled with balancing professions, as their usefulness has been anywhere from "entirely optional" to "utterly mandatory" (anyone remember Resist armor sets?).

The game has never really been about "one thing". It certainly got more narrowly-focused over time, but transmogging is proof-positive that players are hugely supportive of non-combat features, particularly ones that aren't made obsolete each expansion (in fact, I dare say that the constant "resets" and increased level-caps are actively hurting the game now).

Again, Housing would need to be *COMPLETELY* cosmetic and optional. As the other poster suggested, it could even be built upon the Garrison system, just expanding it (giving us options to relocate it, change the building styles, more cosmetic choices, etc). Players hated Garrisons for a ton of reasons, but as long as you completely gut the "usefulness" features from it (ie. farming mats, getting buffs, fast travel, etc), I think they could expand the system to something really special.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobman View Post
    Nah, transmog is the thing i can see every second of my gameplay and its simple as I want that big ass sword to show other noobs how megasuperawesome I am as for housing i really dont care what pixelated picture is hanging on my pixelalated houses wall, heck i dont care what pictures are hanging in my real house why should i care about some ingame housing.
    Still, where exactly do you get your "only 2% of people would care about it"? (I mean, I know you pulled it out of your behind, but still...) How does it compare to other in game activities? Housing in other games? New features that are used only in a single expansion - and not even particularily successful there, like Warfronts/Islands?

It does not have to be a huge thing that keeps you invested every single day for months on end. Maybe you'd go there couple times per patch to hang the newest Big Bad's head on the wall. Maybe not at all. And yet it's entirely possible that plenty of people would enjoy it a lot more and it'd become part of their gaming style.

If this feature was as useless as you believe, no MMORPG would have it - the time investment wouldn't match any potential returns. And yet, most of the do have some sort of housing. So either everyone other than Blizzard is an idiot or the feature actually has some uses.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    Wildstar had the best and funniest housing system ever.

You had a huge land to install (or not) fun games, use the default house and decorate it, or better build your own stuff using materials bought with a special currency.
    You could collect special items in many ways that you use as decoration.

I remember I built a huge space-dinner and small houses around it and had fun with friends that visited me.

Sounds fun on paper. Turns out housing did not keep Wildstar running. EQ2 has housing. EQ has housing. Eq NEXT (well, landmark was all you got to taste of it) was basically a housing sandbox. RIFT has housing. Elder scrolls online has housing. Star wars: the old republic has housing. Black Desert has housing. Final Fantasy 14 has housing. Wurm Online has housing. Ultima Online has housing. Lord of the Rings online has housing. Other MMOs have housing. Why aren't you all flocking over there to play in their awesome housing? You're still here, playing WoW. It might be telling that all these other MMOs have housing, but you're still playing this one. Might be a reason why WoW doesn't have it. It did, kinda, with the garrisons. People really didn't like it.
    Last edited by navroan; 2019-08-21 at 10:02 AM.

I'd rather have them spend that time to add pet battles to their mobile app, and I've barley touched them in all those years.

There are other games out there designed with building your stuff in mind.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by navroan View Post
    Sounds fun on paper. Turns out housing did not keep Wildstar running. EQ2 has housing. EQ has housing. Eq NEXT (well, landmark was all you got to taste of it) was basically a housing sandbox. RIFT has housing. Elder scrolls online has housing. Star wars: the old republic has housing. Black Desert has housing. Final Fantasy 14 has housing. Wurm Online has housing. Ultima Online has housing. Lord of the Rings online has housing. Other MMOs have housing. Why aren't you all flocking over there to play in their awesome housing? You're still here, playing WoW. It might be telling that all these other MMOs have housing, but you're still playing this one. Might be a reason why WoW doesn't have it. It did, kinda, with the garrisons. People really didn't like it.
    Garrisons were a weak attempt, and wasn't even really designed as housing. In terms of other games i know i play both ESO, FFXIV and WoW at the same time, and housing is a feature that i vastly enjoy as a designer myself. Problem is that WoW is so focused on the endgame that it basically becomes formulaic, with no surprises anymore or any real feature to be excited for. New dungeons and raids are just staples at this point, WoW really has nothing else going for it (maybe other than transmog, pet and mount collecting)

Quote Originally Posted by navroan View Post
    Thats an awful argument. A lot of those games with housing had loads of players playing BECAUSE the housing. In Wildstar especially, that system kept the game afloat for some time.

Likewise, garrisons was not in any way player housing no matter how often blizzard may say it was. The key and defining aspect of player housing is customization, which they did not have.

You pretty much have no idea what you're talking about.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

i do love my garrisons [ all 37 of them horde and aliance ] , and wouldn't mind to see something simullair back again in the game

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont care about housing when it is phased to only me.

10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW were to ever give housing a real shot, I'd want it to be done right. Final Fantasy XIV has player housing in towns that anyone can visit. You can see your neighbor's homes. They are separated into districts, but it isn't the isolated garrison style that WoW had before. That's what I'd want if it was ever done. I don't think Blizzard would be able to pull that off, but if they did, it could add to the features WoW offers. More features are good for the game even if it doesn't appeal to you personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsierx View Post
    I totally and completely agree OP. It’s bizarre to me that this sort of thing has not been implemented. Blizzard is always looking for ways to keep people playing the game, especially in content droughts and housing is one way to do that. The housing system in FFXIV is done very well and kept me energized a long time trying to get a house and decorate it. WoW should really have something like that at this point.
    Good for you. But good for the game? How many people actually would do this, relative to the number of people playing the game? How much resources would it require?

Raiding is a good example, in my own opinion, of negative returns. They have improved it and now it is much better than before. LFR. Scalable. Multiple difficulties. Before it had none of that. It was the main focus of end game, it required the majority of development resources, yet only a small portion of players actually participate in it. The numbers are higher but remove LFR and what would the numbers look like?

My concern is that housing would require a fair amount of resources to create and maintain and could only be of interest to small portion of the players. Look at transmog. How many spend the time to acquire their custom look? I have seen some very nice characters but most just wear whatever they pick up. Same in my guild. Only a handfull so far goes into transmog in any big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    People call player housing fluff and pointless, but transmogging is exactly the same and I would venture to say that hunting for mogs is probably one of the most popular activities in game. Also if they take a page out of other MMOs books and use crafting to support the housing system then it would kill two birds with one stone by revitalizing what is currently a completely pointless profession system.

I've played this game since day one, with occasional sub gaps when there's nothing to do. I could give a shit about going around the gear treadmill for the tenth time, just to throw it all away and do it again in a year. Permanent collections and character features are what I'm here for, and a good player housing system would keep me subbed to WoW until the servers grind to a halt.
    Don't normally comment on Retail threads anymore because I'm unlikely to play Retail again so feel free to take this comment with a huge grain of salt.

I have argued elsewhere that the famous J. Allen comment "you think you want Classic, but you don't" could be applied to Retail as well because over the years there were many independent QoL changes, requested by players, that were by themselves not inherently bad. However, when they interacted with other not inherently bad QoL changes the combined effect was negative.

Garrisons and LFD/LFR/Portals everywhere is a classic example. In WoD you essentially never had to leave your Garrison. Major Cities became dead zones. You simply had largely automated systems transport you back and forth between instanced content. There was really no reason to go out in the world (almost all your profession mats were available in the garrison as well). Admittedly, they did try to correct this with other features in later expansions like WQ's that forced players back into the world and would possibly tone down any future housing plan so you still had to actually get out of your house and go out into the game world to get profession mats etc. However, at the end of the day a housing system isolates players and takes away from a "living" world to varying degrees and does so in a manner contradictory to the "spirit" of what type of game WoW is (or should be depending on your perspective).

And your comment also leads to another point. WoW has broadened it's focus to try to capture as many types of players as possible. You, from your comment, are a prime example of someone who places great value on the "collectible" type of game play in Retail. While I don't begrudge your passion it's not for everyone and some of the game play changes that promote it actually turn off players, like myself and many others. That's nots say that Blizzard hasn't profited handsomely by appealing to players like you. The problem becomes when they spread their resources so thin trying to cater to a variety of player types they end up with a diluted, unfocused game that doesn't keep anyone really happy or satisfied.

I actually think Blizzard would have been better off improving and reiterating on the "core" gameplay mechanics of WoW instead of trying to be all things to all people and possibly creating spin-off versions of the game possibly on mobile platforms that appealed to subsets of players, like yourself, that are collectors.

just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Sensa1; 2019-08-21 at 02:25 PM.

There was a leak that listed Guild Housing.....I wouldnt be surprised if Blizzard used that as Housing first.....get their feet wet....as Guild Housing would probably be limited to a certain area inside a capital...while still making it fully customizable for the player. Doing this would give players a housing feel.....while Blizzard works on ways to make housing more "world-like". Players ask for 1 thing.....the ability to place their house anywhere in Azeroth, but Blizzard doesnt have a good way to do that just yet....or doesnt want to because the next expansion or the one after may have alot of world/zone updates....time will tell.

housing is a waste of fucking time. why is everyone so obsessed with it?

Weeb #1: dude, check out my barbie house it's sooo fucking cool right bro?
    Weeb #2: Yeah this is really awesome I love your DECORATIONS

bunch of *******s.

The only reason I would want any sort of player or guild housing is if there was some way to put desired items on the AH so that I can make gold from it. Otherwise, I don't care about it. I would rather resources be spent some where else.

Probably will be the next big feature after we defeat the void. "Hey, you saved the multiverse, it is now time you think about your future and retirement plan"

I'm still not exactly sure... why... I'd want housing. Either it's cosmetic and I can have a few rooms to decorate or its practical like the garrison and I spend all day sitting there alone.

The only really interesting stuff would be guild castles (or pvp castles guilds could capture I guess?). But even then it would need to be a place guilds wanted/needed to use.

So I sit in a house, playing a game where I sit in a house... No thanks I'd rather go kill stuff.

It's bad enough needing a fashion sense with transmog. Now I'd need some interior decoration skills too. Next I'll be wearing a pink shirt with a dicky bow and name change to Lawrence. :P
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2019-08-21 at 04:33 PM.