Guild Leadership Questions

The following are questions regarding research I am conducting for World of Warcraft as an outside source. I have spent time observing fellow members of WoW and was immediately intrigued by the fascinating and inviting community surrounding the game. The general topic covers guild leadership and the ways in which different leadership styles in WoW translate into the real world. Any feedback and/or responses to these questions would be appreciated.

1. What are the ways in which WoW guild leadership prepares people for leadership in the real world?

2. What are the ways in which WoW guild leadership prepares people for conflict management/resolution positions in real life?

3. What learning experiences (if any) in WoW have you been able to use in your professional life? Why and how?
    Last edited by baileyannek18; 2019-06-18 at 02:05 AM.

Baileyannek18,
    I admire the fact that you can research about World of Warcraft, not getting to the point where you are past observation and have become completely enveloped in the game. Like I am. I am relatively new to WoW, but understand enough. I think that leading a guild must be difficult in that you are looking for talent from an incoming pool of applicants with different skill level and abilities, similar to what you might be doing as a leader in the "real world." I think the ability to communicate with others is important as well. As far as conflict management goes, I see guild leaders as those who generally need to make tough decisions for the best of the guild, which generally leads to at least some form of conflict. Its hard to say, as I am so inexperienced as a WoW player. I have yet to be a guild leader, therefor not being able to answer question 3.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyannek18 View Post
    The following are questions regarding research I am conducting for World of Warcraft as an outside source. I have spent time observing fellow members of WoW and was immediately intrigued by the fascinating and inviting community surrounding the game. The general topic covers guild leadership and the ways in which different leadership styles in WoW translate into the real world. Any feedback and/or responses to these questions would be appreciated.
    troll confirmed.

btw - there is a german saying: das pferd von hinten aufsatteln (to saddle the horse from the backside). refresh (or start) ur research on qualitative (sociological) analysis before even thinking of the quantitative aspect.

ur hypothesis (work theory) per se has some unseen implicites and is therefore compromised (from the start).
    u r inductive where u should be deductive and vice versa.
    also u r missing the most important point of any sociological analysis: social stratification and their relation structure, as it is this very structure that defines the deterministics (or the values each (social) leader (/group, caste, milieu) type represents)

The best thing I learned from WoW is that I shouldn't do sociology homework for randos on the internet.

Biggest thing to remember about guild leadership is happy hoes eat, sad hoes don't.

I can summarize 1 and 2 into a statement for ya. A person who has co lead few guilds in the past can say that prepares them for handling situations same way you handle them in wow and how a collective group can achieve remarkable things when everyone works together. And for conflicts and resolutions you talk to them to try and figure out the problem and if they can't work well with you and than you kick them out and find people who can contribute to the "reward".

guild leadership prepares you for leadership outside of the game the same way group/community activities do. What I mean by that is that you'll often find yourself in similar situations. Recruiting, motivating, and encouraging people to give more for the group to reach its goals. It's a rather difficult task as a lot if people are here to enjoy playing the game, some to loot, some to kill bosses and others just to play with friends. You will always have conflict, people will never satisfied with the situation they are in and most of your actions, decisions, and efforts will not be noticed. This makes it a very ungrateful position to occupy though very self rewarding when you allow everyone to reach their goal.

To answer your questions :
    - it teaches patience, how to listen to people, when to act and how to rely on others. It builds you up so you can put in more hours and not be afraid of it as you know why you're doing it. A very good thing I learned was to be more positive and negative when leading in raid. Calling out people is sometimes very worthy and encouraging, ig oring mistakes can also pay off a lot, this game shows you that with a bit of experience and knowledge you can make the right calls.

- wow conflicts are always based on people pride and envy. You're not paid to be here, you are here to be entertained and so you'll find people feeling like others are slowing us or too selfish, too aggressive, etc... it does not really prepare you for all types of conflict but you get the gist on how to cool people off and when a person is becoming a poison for the group. You mostly learn how to let go and not take things personally

- the biggest lesson I learned through wow is when to talk, and what to say. That there is lot done by people leading and how to spot someone who gives in to a project. And when leading, focus on what people did good so you don't loose that when trying to correct mistakes. I never forget that I'm a worker/player just like the person I asked to do something, so alway be civil

10+ Year Old Account
    Even as a guild leader you always need a bottom bitch to give the others something to work towards.

Quote Originally Posted by ultima ratio View Post
    troll confirmed.

btw - there is a german saying: das pferd von hinten aufsatteln (to saddle the horse from the backside). refresh (or start) ur research on qualitative (sociological) analysis before even thinking of the quantitative aspect.

ur hypothesis (work theory) per se has some unseen implicites and is therefore compromised (from the start).
    u r inductive where u should be deductive and vice versa.
    also u r missing the most important point of any sociological analysis: social stratification and their relation structure, as it is this very structure that defines the deterministics (or the values each (social) leader (/group, caste, milieu) type represents)
    I hope you realise that this semi-intellectual response is somewhat undercut by the use of "u r".

How do you know he hasn't done any research and built a theoretical framework? It's not common to postulate your research on a survey, especially since it could influence the survey.

Now, I'm not saying I believe OP went through these steps. The survey seems too simplistic for it. I'm just saying, we can't know that for sure.
    Last edited by Veggie50; 2019-06-18 at 12:06 PM.

How do you report a bad title name?

OT:
    Interesting.

1. What are the ways in which WoW guild leadership prepares people for leadership in the real world?
    - Organizing
    - Dicition making

2. What are the ways in which WoW guild leadership prepares people for conflict management/resolution positions in real life?
    - By sorting guild drama
    - By motivating members

3. What learning experiences (if any) in WoW have you been able to use in your professional life? Why and how?
    - Basically the above. Very general assets of skills so for very general porpouses. I also have it in my CV, they're always curious about it, in a good way!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    How do you report a bad title name?
    I'd just report the OP. It's basically part of the post, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    And who has commissioned this research? Blizzard? Wouldn't it be better to use official channels or a blue account for posting this?
    Yes. Blizzard commissioned this research.