Thread: Professions

Professions

Hi guys

So, I grew tired of my warrior and I discovered that I liked playing as a hunter. Now that it has been 120 for while now I started thinking about professions and my go to choices were herb/alc.

I googled it to see if there was anything I should be aware of and all of a sudden I see a lot of posts about hunters and engineering. Some of the posts point in the direction that engineering and hunters stems from old times when hunters had to craft their bullets and arrows through engineering. Other posts claim that scopes and other things provide things that cannot be obtained for hunters in any others ways.

And now I'm a little confused. Is there a kind of "mandatory" profession for hunters who want to be as competitive as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Velomancer View Post
    Hi guys

So, I grew tired of my warrior and I discovered that I liked playing as a hunter. Now that it has been 120 for while now I started thinking about professions and my go to choices were herb/alc.

I googled it to see if there was anything I should be aware of and all of a sudden I see a lot of posts about hunters and engineering. Some of the posts point in the direction that engineering and hunters stems from old times when hunters had to craft their bullets and arrows through engineering. Other posts claim that scopes and other things provide things that cannot be obtained for hunters in any others ways.

And now I'm a little confused. Is there a kind of "mandatory" profession for hunters who want to be as competitive as possible?
    Definitely not mandatory.

I used to be herb/alch on my hunter as well, only recently dropped it for alch/engi.
    Engineering has a few good perks. My normal M+ group misses a combat rez, so engineering provides that.

Other than that, my druid alt is also a herbalist and I generally like the druid a bit better for it.
    Also thinking ahead for patch 8.2 when the azerite absorb shield stops preventing daze and flying comes around; I think druid is the best overal choice for herbing.

Alchemy is really nice to have though for the 2hr flask duration. (Not specifically the reason why I chose it though; my hunter pretty much has been my alchemist since vanilla)
    You could make a point for the BoP profession items, but pre-8.2 they weren't really all that good. Post 8.2 remains to be seen.

Engineering historically was well suited for us. Make your own scopes, ammo, and several perks that nicely complemented our tools like speed booster boots for getting movements done more quickly to resume shooting (before the 100% movement days), and so on. Now there's no real mandatory professions for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Leatherworking is as close to mandatory as you'll get, if you raid. x2 440 socketed items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how much money you have. Ideal professions, as far as raiding goes, would be JC and LW - both give socket'ed 440 items, LW gives two.
    However, the JC items will probably bankrupt most players. They require massive amounts of really expensive gems.

A good second option is to go LW and Alchy. The Alchy trinket isn't great, but it is better than the other option - engineering. For BM, the engineering helm is fairly shit.

Of course, all of this is only from a gear perspective, not money-making.

Engi/JC here. Herb/Alch on Druid alt.

Probably gonna drop Engi for LW once I have flying unlocked. I’ve had engineering for well over a decade though on this toon. Don’t really want to swap it out.