Classic Rogue Energy & Swing Timers?

Hey. So a friend just reminded me about Rogue swing timers and sinister strike and I'm wondering if I have this correct as I haven't played Rogue since Wrath.

In classic;
    - Rogue's base energy regen is 10 energy per sec.
    - Auto attacks have no effect on energy regen
    - Sinister Strike resets the swing timer (auto attack)
    - Therefore I should download a swing timer and use SS after a hit? (of my main hand, off hand or either?)

It's a bit hard to test this out in game. Any help greatly appreciated.

energy regen is 20 energy per 2 sec

sinister strike does not reset swing timer, its sword spec extra attacks that suposedly reset swing timer- havent tested

Swing timer for rogue is useless.

I will explain the utility of "Energy ticks addon"

In PVP you need to do Cheapshot ONLY when a energy tick is about to happen!
    So you have extra energy on your stun lock.
    Day and night difference.

Same for Gouge
    Do it only when a tick is about to happen.

Extremely useful for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

I will explain the utility of "Energy ticks addon"
    So for Rogues, don't use a swing timer, but use a Energy ticker like NagEnergy? Use a ability right close to the end of the tick for max performance for the energy regen?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathblooms View Post
    So for Rogues, don't use a swing timer, but use a Energy ticker like NagEnergy? Use a ability right close to the end of the tick for max performance for the energy regen?
    Correct, in PvP you want to do abilities right before a tick so you have more energy on your stunlocks or after a gouge or after an opener.

And I was actually wrong, and rogues who min max in PvE need a swing timer IF you are sword specialization combat rogue.
    Basically "extra hits" from sword spec reset the auto attack timer.
    And sinister strike has a chance to proc an extra hit.

So you want to do sinister strike always right after a melee swing...in hopes u get a extra hit with sword spec.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Roanda; 2019-09-11 at 08:09 PM.

From what i've read this is not true for all rogues.
    Sword spec has a chance to give you an extra autoattack when you hit. That extra attack resets the swingtimer. Sinister strike can procc that extra attack

Example: you got 0.3 til ne next autoattack and you use Sinister, the extra swing proccs .. then the swingtimer goes back to (lets say.. 2.2sec).
    In that situation in theory you got an extra attack but effectively you dont because you dont hit after 0.3sec but 2.2

- - - Updated - - -

Correct, in PvP you want to do abilities right before a tick so you have more energy on your stunlocks or after a gouge or after an opener.

And I was actually wrong, and rogues who min max in PvE need a swing timer IF you are sword specialization combat rogue.
    Basically "extra hits" from sword spec reset the auto attack timer.
    And sinister strike has a chance to proc an extra hit.

So you want to do sinister strike always right after a melee swing...in hopes u get a extra hit with sword spec.

I hope this helps
    I obviously missed that post, sorry

Here's my confusion in all this

Since SS resets swing timer and is best used right after a MH auto attack, why do we not use a basic /castsequence macro just like BM hunters in TBC and NEVER miss/clip and autoattack?

Quote Originally Posted by drbatman View Post
    Here's my confusion in all this

Since SS resets swing timer and is best used right after a MH auto attack, why do we not use a basic /castsequence macro just like BM hunters in TBC and NEVER miss/clip and autoattack?
    SS does not reset swing timer.
    Sword Spec talents extra hit is what resets the timer. You want to time SS after the white hit because both the white hit and ss have a chance to cause the talented extra hit, which will reset your timer.

So, any good swing timer addon that can be downloaded and updated through twitch client? I think I can do with Elv's energy ticker but I just couldnt find any addons for swing timers.

i personally find all the swingtimer addons ive seen to be complete ass, i use this weakaura https://wago.io/Ak7NxBdCc
    it takes up minimal screen real estate, shows swing timer, energy ticks, energy and combo points in an aesthetically pleasing way.
    Last edited by Djanco; 2019-10-31 at 06:45 PM.

Also if you use adrenaline rush just after a tick, you are losing 20 energy gain. If you use AR with more than 1 second until until next tick, it will affect 1 fewer tick. It simply turns your ticks from +20 energy to +40 energy.