Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you have fun playing the game?

It's a serious question. Let me explain.

Let's say you are doing world quests, because you need the reputation. If you're done with all the quests in the zone, are you glad? If you're glad that you're done with it, doesn't that mean that you didn't have fun doing it? If you actually had fun doing it, you'd be sad that you ran out of quests. You'd be like "oh, I wish there was more to do". The way I see it, 99.99% of the things we do are just daily tasks, that we do because we want something. If we actually just played for fun, we'd be doing completely different things, and we'd be playing a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post

Let's say you are doing world quests, because you need the reputation. If you're done with all the quests in the zone, are you glad? If you're glad that you're done with it, doesn't that mean that you didn't have fun doing it? If you actually had fun doing it, you'd be sad that you ran out of quests. You'd be like "oh, I wish there was more to do". The way I see it, 99.99% of the things we do are just daily tasks, that we do because we want something. If we actually just played for fun, we'd be doing completely different things, and we'd be playing a lot less.
    well if youre not having fun and only play for rewards there might be something wrong with you

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well if youre not having fun and only play for rewards there might be something wrong with you
    What do you play for if not rewards?

The only reason you are supposed to be playing WoW, to see the next raid.

In before i insulted LFR heroes/Pet Battlers/PvPers and people that claim Classic is hard.

More realistically, its a RPG, despite many elements removed, its still a RPG.

You set a goal, you go for it, thats how the game works.

World Quests are just means to an end, before that it was dailies, before that it was running the same dungeon for Reputation despite not needing anything.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-10-12 at 01:08 PM.

Well I disagree with you on this. Yes we have to do 4 WQ every reset which could seem like a chore, but you do it because it contributes to your neck level, which you want to progress. After you are done with those 4 quests, you can go back to doing what is fun for you, in my case forming a grp and hitting m+.
    And yo answer you am I glad that im done with my daily chore ? yes sure I am, I can go back to doing what i wanted. But do I want them to remove the daily emmi ? no.. because when i was lower gear, it helped me a lot + now it helps me advance my neck lvl & doesn't demand anything but 4 quests that take less than 15 mins to finish.

No, I am only playing classic since it came out. I played retail for 1 to 2 days when the patch hit but I went back to classic. Blizzard has made reputations really boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wasnt I wouldn't be playing it
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    No, I am only playing classic since it came out. I played retail for 1 to 2 days when the patch hit but I went back to classic. Blizzard has made reputations really boring.
    Because reputation grinding in classic is fun ?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I have, in Classic.

In retail, not so much. Not because of the daily quests and other "obligatory" content, because I just don't push myself to do it. I'm not playing WoW to get into the top 100 mythic guild roster, hence I don't need to min/max anything, much less rep.

I'm not having fun in retail because BfA is not fun. The dungeons are completely imbalanced imo, too much boring, predictable trash and boring, simple boss fights.

The classes are still not fun anymore, a year and some after the expansion launched. They broke them in Legion in order to offer diversity through the combination of Artifact talents and legendaries, and when they took those away in BfA they simply didn't make up for it in any way, shape or form.

The story is badly thought of and implemented worse. There's no story immersion to distract from the gameplay issues imo, especially since the actually interesting stuff about the Naga and the Old Gods is just overshadowed by the horrid, artificial, dumb faction war.

And last but not least, there really is lack of content. Whereas before we had different avenues to explore, say our own farm in MoP, or the Class questlines and Suramar in Legion, there's only world quests over world quests in BfA. And boring world quests at that. The only "fun" world event we have is the Nazjatar pvp one, and that one gets old fast due to hardly any realm having enough people to make it fun, so we always have to join a premade to get it done. If we have to join premades to do anything, everything feels like instances, nobody in a realm knows anyone and the world seems emptier and emptier by the minute.

Add that with a lackluster group content and the biggest hemorrhage of players since the Cataclysm, of course the game will feel unfun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jalham View Post
    Here's what makes Classic more fun than retail:

1) There's no rush to reach level 60.

2) Classes are more - much more - fun to play.

3) You meet people you know around the world. That makes what you do seem purposeful.

Those 3 simple things make a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun is subjective. Believe it or not, there are a ton of people who are genuinely having a blast with BfA as it is. I'm not one of them, but they do exist. To answer your question, no, I'm not having fun and I'm barely playing the game at all these days. Mostly just waiting for BlizzCon and 8.3.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The problem occurs when you have to do menial stuff to be able to prepare for the stuff you enjoy. If this is improperly balanced the enjoyment quickly drops off. I was already annoyed with the balance (but still playing) in BFA with the neck, and then when they dropped the essences on our heads I decided its time for a break. Still going to check out 8.3 (and the next expansion), but the game doesn't excite me at the moment.

In addition to this (grinding) Blizzard needs to realize that they should separate their paths (PvP/PvE-raids/PvE-instances/collectors) instead of trying to have people participate in all of them. There's nothing wrong with enjoying several aspects of the game, but there's something that's really off when you're told to engage in other aspects of the game to gain advantages in the path(s) you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
    I have, in Classic.

I'm not having fun in retail because BfA is not fun. The dungeons are completely imbalanced imo, too much boring, predictable trash and boring, simple boss fights.
    Oh yes, because Classic dungeons are so varied and not at all predictable and boring. And the bosses are also super varied and intense. Like, fuck Mechagon or Karazhan when you have LBRS sometimes doing you a knockback or a stun!!11

The classes are still not fun anymore, a year and some after the expansion launched. They broke them in Legion in order to offer diversity through the combination of Artifact talents and legendaries, and when they took those away in BfA they simply didn't make up for it in any way, shape or form.
    Again, contrary to Classic, huh? Because nothing is more fun than pressing Shadowbolt. 50 times in a row. And then the boss is dead.

And last but not least, there really is lack of content. Whereas before we had different avenues to explore, say our own farm in MoP, or the Class questlines and Suramar in Legion, there's only world quests over world quests in BfA. And boring world quests at that. The only "fun" world event we have is the Nazjatar pvp one, and that one gets old fast due to hardly any realm having enough people to make it fun, so we always have to join a premade to get it done. If we have to join premades to do anything, everything feels like instances, nobody in a realm knows anyone and the world seems emptier and emptier by the minute.
    Well, there is content to do, it's just boring and repetitive and seemingly made for entirely different crowds. But again, because there's sooo much to do in Classic once you hit 60, right? Because there's more than just dungeons and raids.... because professions aren't done with after a day... and because reps aren't mostly irrelevant... and because questing also isn't completely dead after 1 week of being 60...

Add that with a lackluster group content and the biggest hemorrhage of players since the Cataclysm, of course the game will feel unfun.
    Because, once more, group content in Classic is so vastly not lackluster. There's enough group content to do, enough engaging group content, enough challenging group content, enough fun group content - it's just that it's either stupidly retardedly undertuned so that a bunch of blind people could do it without wiping or it's the exact opposite where you have to spend 8 hours a day farming repetitive bullshit worldquests ap whateverness to not get fucked in the highest difficulties.

It's silly how people attack retail for all kinds of bullshit and then go around claiming Classic to be sooo much more enjoyable.
    Like, fucking BFA dungeons, I just hate them, they're too simple, no fun, that's why I play Classic, because dungeons there are so vastly different and challenging.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course I do. If I didn't have fun I'd stop playing it. People that hate WoW and play it just to complain about it confuse the absolute fuck out of me since it seems like illogical idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherwax View Post
    I have, in Classic.

In retail, not so much. Not because of the daily quests and other "obligatory" content, because I just don't push myself to do it. I'm not playing WoW to get into the top 100 mythic guild roster, hence I don't need to min/max anything, much less rep.

The story is badly thought of and implemented worse. There's no story immersion to distract from the gameplay issues imo, especially since the actually interesting stuff about the Naga and the Old Gods is just overshadowed by the horrid, artificial, dumb faction war.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what makes Classic more fun than retail:

1) There's no rush to reach level 60.

2) Classes are more - much more - fun to play.

3) You meet people you know around the world. That makes what you do seem purposeful.

Those 3 simple things make a huge difference.
    You whole wall of text reeks of "Clueless" and "Find friends in a bar, not inside a screen" problem.

"The dungeons are completely imbalanced imo, too much boring, predictable trash and boring, simple boss fights." and proceed to praise Classic, which is literally what you just said.

Find friends outside, not in your screen bro.

The fun of getting those rewards can actually be a bigger thing than the rewards themselves.

A pet battler may have fun getting all pets caught and leveled to 25. Knowing they won't ever use 90% of them, the reward is the fun they have getting them up to max level. Having all pets is essentially meaningless, because you won't ever use 90% of them, but it's still fun.

A raider may enjoy getting the gear that makes them ready to raid. The gear itself is useless, because it will be replaced in the raid, but the process of getting the gear that enables them to raid, can be more fun than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalham View Post
    reputation grinding is not a requirement for anything in-game except cosmetics. Reputations in retail are required to progress the story and unlock basic gameplay elements such as new races.

Very different...

WQs to me aren't that much different to dailies which we had way back in TBC and for the most part it's a means to an end. Only real difference for me is WQ offers more variety than dailies (both in which quest it is and the reward) but my only real frustration with it is when we're in AP farm season and I feel like I need to clear all the AP WQs (which I do, no biggie). To me what makes the game more enjoyable overall now VS earlier in the game's history is the variety of things you can do. I remember Wotlk and Cata as the days of spending half your time running around Dalaran or Org/SW waiting for something to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much more fun in Retail than in Classic yes.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    Remove rewards from Mythic raiding, and see how many players bother with it. And we're talking about the most hardcore ones.

I am enjoying the game, but mostly the Classic version. To me, retail is good for running a couple of M+, and that's it. Raids are pretty meh (BoD being the exception) and the overly complicated, "baroque" design of the last bosses makes me utterly bored with them - and I'm just a HC pleb.

Here's hoping that AP/emissaries/RNGforging and the rest of the Diablo crap will die a horrible death in 9.0
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Outside raids the game isn't that fun right now. There's a difference when I want to play and when I feel like I need to play just to keep up with something.