Thread: Old Tank Creed

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.
    That is pretty much all of it. The addendum is if you pull it it's yours have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Lol, your whole answer speaks of adorableness, of how bad you actually must be at the game, that you somehow at the last 15 years of this game, you have people actually overaggroing you.

Sure, i lose threat too on a skittish week for 2 seconds from a world ranking DPS warrior friend once every 5 packs when he goes all out on a M+, but 5 mobs to 5 different people?

God it must be a completely different game if you are utterly bad, at least its probably fun for you.
    You must be retarded, but yes when someone else pulls and I am not actively paying, everyone gets aggro, ie heal aggro, all the dps dropping their AOE etc, it is annoying to pick up. If I was ready to pull, I would. Situation like initiating a pull, establishing good threat, then tabbing rq, or getting a drink, giving the GF attention she craves (something you know nothing about surely).

Obviously in serious M+ these distractions aren't an issue, you're in there to focus and get it done. But during levelling, or random heroics, events, timewalking etc when shit doesn't matter but everyone is the most hardcore motherfucker around, gotta smash that dungeon yeah. Its annoying. Im sorry you can't wrap your little brain around the fact that everyone has an individual life, and style of playing, as well as we all don't live for video games such as you, having nothing better going on in our life. But good try. For most it's just a bit of entertainment (and I promise when I nolifed, and still to this day, I'm a far better at every aspect of this game than you are)

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    It sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.
    I don't know about you but when I was 10 I was picking my nose and flicking it at my sister while contemplating if I could build a fort out of mud in the garden, not writing poetic shit like this.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I don't know about you but when I was 10 I was picking my nose and flicking it at my sister while contemplating if I could build a fort out of mud in the garden, not writing poetic shit like this.
    Kids these days (especially boys) do not go outside, they play video games all day.

I can picture the 10 year old who wrote what the OP is trying to recall.

Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.

OP, I think I got you, cause I was looking for this too:

google "adventures in poor taste world of warcraft tanking creed"

(can't post link cause I literally made this account to post this lol)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Sorry,the only tank creed I know is "You pull it,you tank it".
    Yup tanking since EQ and in WoW since open beta, and that's the only creed I know. Sadly in WoW you usually have to override it because the healer ends up tanking it, but in theory...

If you heard that around 2006 it's probably just someone who was impressed with the halo 3 announcement trailer, where cortana says something like that.

Funny, as a warrior tank the only creed I had macro'd was "Wait for 3 sunders!!!"

Is that right Old Tank Creed. Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from.

as a founder and member of the secret order of tanks for over 20 years this is how the creed goes:

I am their shield, they are my sword. We are the watchers on the wall, for the night is dark and full of terrors. When the lights go out, its time for bed. Lest your dad arrive, and whip his belt on your head.

Allahu ackbar

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I agree that sometimes just doing what is necessary to finish the dungeon is the best way to go, but at the same time, when we keep going out of our way to accomodate shitty players who have zero courtesy, that simply reinforces the behaviour.

If rushing the instance is that important to the person, they can either roll a tank, or group with friends/guildies. And if dps really believes that the tank is pulling significantly slower than is necessary, then the appropriate way to address is to politely suggest that the rest of the group is comfortable with bigger pulls.
    Unfortunately, since Wrath, the game has moved towards rushing to the loot pinatas. The sad reality is that people will continue to accommodate those players, shitty or not, because the game has done nothing but reinforce and even reward flying through instances as fast as possible. No one wants to take the time to maybe let someone learn what they're doing, dungeon layout, etc and get better because they only thing that matters to them is gogogogogo.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get done as fast as possible, though. Just don't go into LFG expecting people to do things your way. I feel people should be more a little more accepting of what group they're given and if they don't like it, they can leave. If they want people to play the way they want them to... well, that's what guilds and pre-made groups are for, isn't it?