10+ Year Old Account

Classic Rogue Question regarding Weapons

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding weapon options for a combat Rogue. I've been trying to find some details on this but seems there are a lot of conflicting debates so I'll try my luck here with the Rogue community

I play a Combat Sword Night Elf Rogue and I have the typical PVE build including 5/5 sword specialization. I recently got my hands on a Brutality Blade which I am using in my Main Hand, and in my Off-hand I have Mirah's Song.

In the past I've been told that using a sword in the off-hand while in this spec is the only way to go because replacing it with any other weapon type would lower my dps. However, other people are saying I should be aiming for a fast dagger in my offhand as it will be a dps increase due to applying poisons faster regardless of me losing the extra swing with an OH sword from the talent. I'm totally unsure what is correct

If choosing a dagger for my OH would be a dps increase, then which dagger should I aim for? Would Perdition's be better than Corehound?

Thanks for your time and advice.
    Last edited by Neetz; 2020-01-17 at 03:24 AM.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

15+ Year Old Account
    Main hand you want a slow hard hitting weapon because of skills that deal damage based on weapon damage. Fast offhand means more poisons being dealt + the fact that your offhand has a higher chance to miss because of how dual wielding works.

Sword spec rewards off hand swords, poison rewards fast off hands. In the end it wont actually matter, unless you have any other factors covered, like consumables, raid buffs, group buffs, rotation, uptime, boss strategy and anything else you could possibly optimize. If you want hard numbers that most likely only loosely relate to your personal performance, try searching the web for a classic wow rogue DPS spreadsheet.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Main hand you want a slow hard hitting weapon because of skills that deal damage based on weapon damage. Fast offhand means more poisons being dealt + the fact that your offhand has a higher chance to miss because of how dual wielding works.
    To my general understanding, the Fast OH = more poison application isn't true unless you're using Deadly Poison. Instant Poison has a PPM attached to it that makes a fast OH useless for more applications. In general, you should just use a slow sword OH for more chances at getting the double hits from Sword Specialization.