Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love islands; they're fun and neat. I liked MoP scenarios too.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

7+ Year Old Account
    The bulk of the thread clearly states the issue: they're boring.

Edit:
    Shame there wasn't a poll when this was posted.

I used them to level up alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Islands are scenarios v2.

People didn't like scenarios, and they don't like islands. It's really not any harder than that.
    Disagree mop ones had a chance for blue, ,epic and even a higher epic ilvl items nothing like it at all i miss those this not so much im still going to do it for the mounts that's it really.

Islands were shipped out as as low quality feature from the beginning.

Re-used art assets for the islands themselves. Over-hyped enemy mob AI that has never been relevant to combat in Islands, especially in the latter half of the expansion. The mechanics of Islands themselves is mounting up, gathering a bunch of mobs, and AoEing them down, absolutely 0 departure from any other gameplay we've had before.

They were always destined to fail.

Uninspired, boring chores, masked as content.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    Thoughts?
    For me it was two things:
    1) Lack of gear progression. I.e. it would be great content for alt leveling, if your character's power wouldn't lag behind his actual levels.
    2) It's doesn't matter, how you play it. There are tons of bait mechanics there, such as killing rares and opening chests, that give you illusion, that the bigger rare you kill/bigger chest you open - better reward/bigger chance to get reward you get at the end. But it's just false. Whole goal of this content - is to fill that azerite bar, no matter how. And it's just so disappointing.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

islands dont drop gear - islands are dead content

visions drop gear - all hail visions

thats the only but key difference between failure and success

That you get a static amount of azerite per island and not from what you loot is imo bullshit.

Azerite is something that shoudlve been looted on the spot, not been rewarded as an endreward for fillign an arbitrary bar.
    Looting it on the very island wouldve made the islands feel alot more like a "treasure hunt". Now all we did was zerging mobs until a bar filled up...

The "timer" or contest was also a big flop. They shoudlve removed the other factions involvment and instead tried to build the island like an adventure, with secret caves and hidden treasures per tileset. With a few recognizable rares rather than the hundreds of silver portrait mobs we got now.

Also, there shoudlnt be a cap and then a forced bootout from the island. Players shoudlve felt free to stay as long as they liked and explore to their hearts content. Turn every stone, climb every tree, crawl down every little hidden foxhole and fucking takinga swimtour around the island to look for hidden underwater pathways.

I liked the events that ahppens thou, but the trigger for them was way too static.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    islands dont drop gear - islands are dead content

visions drop gear - all hail visions

thats the only but key difference between failure and success
    Also, visions can be solo'd, have a progression that matters (cloak and tree). If island expeditions just had some of that built around it, it would see more play. Of course, doing the actual island expedition has to be more interesting as well. The timed rush gameplay is something I try to stay away from.

If IEs were a solo or group instance that was about actually exploring and finding cool stuff and doing a couple of quests I think it could be fun. This game needs more mellow slower gameplay like that I think, we have enough gogogo rush aoe in this game already.

Islands were promising in that the way they were marketed before we knew how they exactly worked was great. Once it was discovered it was just genocide all life collect loot from very samey islands that people started hating it. They look good but they are all so similar there is nothing that really sticks out about any of the islands to make you remember them so it has to rely on the mobs. The mobs are also super samey because even the rare elites are just bigger versions of the cannon fodder you genocide. They didn't make any cool unique monsters or super cool islands to make them more interesting so most people felt like they saw all it had to offer after just a couple of runs.

Unfortunately the rewards are great and players are masochists who will drag our junk through broken glass if it means we progress 1% faster so people who didn't enjoy it were forced to keep doing it way more than they wanted to if they didn't want to fall behind and feel like a drag on their friends. That led to people despising them. It was just a big letdown of something that sounded super promising on paper but didn't live up to expectations.