3+ Year Old Account

Anyone else find it impossible to pick a main?

I have gone back and fourth for months on this. Example.

Shadow Priest: Love Shadow in PvP, absolutely hate it in PvE. And since I need to PvE for gear, meh.

Fire Mage: Greater Pyroblast is fun in PvP, huge numbers are always fun. Dreadful to play in PvE.

Fury Warrior: Fun in PvE, squishy squish with low numbers in PvP.

Rogues: Forced to play Outlaw in PvE, low numbers 90% of every fight in PvP.

I just want a class that is easy enough to play, like, I can do some good shit in both PvP and PvE. I'm leaning mostly towards Ret Paladin but I really don't enjoy melee too much.

Any other suggestions, and, are you also struggling and going back and fourth constantly?

Quote Originally Posted by Timewalker View Post

Rogues: Forced to play Outlaw in PvE
    y if u only du m+ bro

10+ Year Old Account
    I abandoned the idea of a singular main years ago, because I have too many characters I love. I do have one progression toon that is higher than the others (471) but that's only because I don't have reliable raid groups for the others. lol
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I found it impossible to decide at one point. So at the beginning of Legion I decided to keep one of every class - so, twelve characters. Played them all until maybe just last week. And then, I had all the info I needed to delete half of them. The data I ended up using was /played. It was very obvious when I actually had it all down in one spot that I actually played three classes more than all the rest by a wide margin. I no longer had to worry about all the small class preferences and nuanced little details of each race and why I may prefer one over another. Ages ago, I would have been really anxious to delete high-level characters (throwing away all that work and everything). But, with character restore (and I suppose, expansion level boosts) I reckon I don't really have to worry about that anymore. I feel pretty confident in the data, because it was over the course of two expansions where the classes didn't change as much as they may have between other ones. I feel a little relieved, knowing numerically what classes I play most. It's like having the answers to a personality test or something. Just kind of gives me a little perspective, which is comforting. I'm fairly comfortable now with the six characters I've kept around.

So, if I had any recommendation, it's that if you have kept your characters around for at least a couple expansions, putting down a /played of all your characters down on notepad or something can probably give you a lot of perspective on what you actually like playing. You won't have to worry about the nuance of it. Worked out pretty well for me so far, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

Shadow Priest: Love Shadow in PvP, absolutely hate it in PvE. And since I need to PvE for gear, meh.

Fire Mage: Greater Pyroblast is fun in PvP, huge numbers are always fun. Dreadful to play in PvE.

I just want a class that is easy enough to play, like, I can do some good shit in both PvP and PvE. I'm leaning mostly towards Ret Paladin but I really don't enjoy melee too much.

Any other suggestions, and, are you also struggling and going back and fourth constantly?
    I currently run with two mains. One on Horde and one on Alliance. Would love more but there is so much to maintain just pr. character to keep up.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The notion of main have disappeared years ago. Imagine playing your wheelchair "main" KEKW

Sounds to me like you're looking for a mythical class/spec that doesn't exist and will never exist. Huge numbers in PvE/PvP, fun to play in every aspect of the game, and doesn't die easily.

You will never decide on a main character if you want to keep chasing that flavor of the month class/spec. The first step to actually dedicating yourself to a main is understanding that the class won't be consistently top or bottom of the meters forever. You're GOING to have to play it when they inevitably break your favorite spec, or they tune it poorly and it's mediocre.

You can select classes that don't usually "Bottom out", which is what a lot of people do. Things like Ele Shaman/Shadow Priest/Moonkin are sketchy picks, because those can swing wildly either direction. You could be Eternal Palace Shadow Priest one day, and Uldir Shadow Priest the next.

"Safer" classes you've listed that usually are ok for the whole expansion are: Mage, Rogue

Classes that will be fine at some point in the expansion but maybe not until gear scales better: Warrior

Classes that are high risk/high reward: Shadow Priest, Ret Paladin. I'd even consider the Ret paladin significantly safer than Shadow Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Sounds to me like you're looking for a mythical class/spec that doesn't exist and will never exist. Huge numbers in PvE/PvP, fun to play in every aspect of the game, and doesn't die easily.
    That is called a Demon Hunter in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    That is called a Demon Hunter in my book
    Hilariously that's the first thing that came to mind when I was typing that out.

Probably the closest you'll ever get to that class/spec existing is 8.3 DH. But DH's even have had to deal with being the "Bring for Darkness" class in Eternal Palace. They're running the game right now, but we all know that won't last forever.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 2020-03-29 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't really have one...I just play what I feel in the mood for, I have characters for every class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Help Me Choose" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead