Talking Academic Research Survey

Hi all, I'm conducting a social research on WoW for a course I'm taking at university. The overall question I would like to be able to answer is: Does World of Warcraft serve to fulfill social and/or emotional needs of players? If you could take a few minutes to answer the following questions, that'd be great!

Does World of Warcraft serve to fulfill social and/or emotional needs of players?
    If so, in what ways does it fulfill them?

Thanks!

This is clearly not an academic research survey. If it was, you would have had a survey monkey or something and asked to get more demographic information, general questions, and had more direct questions that form a picture rather than 2 vague subjective questions. I don't see how this 2 question survey will be at all useful considering your are allowing the answers to be so open. It would be nearly impossible to compile the "data" for a presentation. Maybe ask the teacher for some help.

Hi, I understand your concern, but I wasn't allowed to post a link in my post as I am a new member.

Ok. Well my answer is:

No, it doesn't.

Here's some questions you could ask as an example. Hope this helps.

How old are you? (provide ranges)

Are you male/female/it?

"How long have you played the game?" (provide ranges)

"Rate your satisfaction with the game itself from 1-5"

"Do you feel like the time you engage with people in WoW is as fulfulling as time spent with friends in real life?" (agree/sort of agree, etc)

"How many hours do you socialize with others in real life per week?" (ranges)

"How many hours do you socialize with other WoW players (in guild chat/whispers/discord/etc) per day/week?" (ranges)

etc.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-05-15 at 09:08 PM.

Post a little bit more until you can post links, it's like 10 or something right? Then come back with a Google Forms or Surveymonkey version of your survey. It's not helpful to people here that want to contribute and it's also not helping your data collection efforts.

what level of academia is for? HS? College, grad school? what are the requirements? the other posters are right you can't get any statistical data from your questions, but if its lower level academia and you are just doing a general opinion research paper it could work if you are looking for common themes in the answer, more qualitative in nature.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Hi all, thanks for responding, this is really just a general opinion research paper to gather qualitative answers to find patterns among the community, not exactly looking for statistical data. It's a very informal research assignment, sorry I didn't state this earlier..

Does World of Warcraft serve to fulfill social and/or emotional needs of players?
    Honestly, no. It used to, to some extent, when socialization was essential to the game experience. Now, I love LFG & LFR, but it sorta killed a large part of the social experience. That experience is still there for anyone who chooses it, but the thing is, very few people do, so you can't reliably find guilds that actually play together. They're mostly like Q&A groups.

I agree that it's not an academic research survey, the questions should be more specific. When I was preparing my research paper, it took too much time, and I decided to apply to some writing service. I was advised to apply to iWriter service, I read their overview, and found it rather interesting. It is relatively new, so I thought their writers would do their best to make a name, and I was right, this company did a good job, and delivers a good paper for me.
    Last edited by Markerr; 2020-08-27 at 07:32 AM.

Wow definitely fills my social needs. I am a disabled veteran (severe social anxiety, ptsd, etc etc) who "retired" at 30 and most, if not all, of my friends are at work during the day when my kids are at school and they are online playing games at night when my kids are home and I am spending time with them. This has made it so I lost much of my socialization but WoW has served to fill that void. Even if I am just running around in Org being dumb in chat, at least I see real people running around next to me and chatting.

The mission of this game is to get more powerful items, upping to most the atk or healing. The communication is only based on gaming resources and information from the enemies. Online Game is just a game, I don't think Warcraft serve to fulfill the social or emotional needs of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol count how many multi's in this thread

A strange study that can not even be called general