[Fire mage] When does mastery become better than haste?

Hey.

Icyveins is telling fire mages to go haste gems, But everywhere else people seem to go crazy over mastery? Is icyveins wrong or is there a break off point (Maby with how many mastery corruptions you have?) Where mastery gems become better than haste gems?

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fire-m...ts-consumables

Basiclly just wondering if i should socket mastery or haste at lower gear levels when you don't have the 12% mastery corruption on every piece.

I’m pretty sure I saw on Preheats Twitter a video he made on this exact subject. Suggest you check it out.

Edit. Just checked his twitter, video is actually “How much Haste is enough?” But description does mention understanding stat weights so it might still be helpful.
    Last edited by Popsickle; 2020-06-06 at 07:24 PM.

IV tends to be simplistic in its recommendations, because guides become very complicated if you take account every option.

Haste *is* the best stat for pure single target. The problem is, of course, there's hardly any pure single-target fights in the raid (Shad being the only one, really). Anything where you get incidental cleave will favor Mastery more, and the more targets are involved the better it becomes. Since a lot of the fights - especially the later (and thus more difficult) ones - involve multiple targets, most people will socket for Mastery instead of Haste.

If you really want to know for sure for your given setup, the answer is always: sim yourself. But be careful to have the appropriate settings for your sim

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    IV tends to be simplistic in its recommendations, because guides become very complicated if you take account every option.

Haste *is* the best stat for pure single target. The problem is, of course, there's hardly any pure single-target fights in the raid (Shad being the only one, really). Anything where you get incidental cleave will favor Mastery more, and the more targets are involved the better it becomes. Since a lot of the fights - especially the later (and thus more difficult) ones - involve multiple targets, most people will socket for Mastery instead of Haste.

If you really want to know for sure for your given setup, the answer is always: sim yourself. But be careful to have the appropriate settings for your sim
    Also depends on what content he's running. If it's mostly M+, Mastery will make trash infinitely easier and help on most bosses. Logically speaking, you don't want to get Haste past the point of your spells being under the GCD (Fireball during lust and Scorch in execute), so don't go past those breakpoints. I've also noted that Fire as a spec, through traits and essences, can get a decent chunk of passive Haste as is, so increasing the damage in the Combustion window is what IV focuses on.
    BfA Beta Time

The answer depends on how much masterful corruption you have. If you have little or none of those corruptions, haste/vers will be your best bet. Once you get a bunch though, Mastery will start to become much much better.

Icy veins, as someone said, is simplistic, so they often fail to take maxed out characters into account.
    At a base level, with normal gear and no corruption, haste is the go to, but as soon as you start stacking masterful it will be better.

Also for M+ mastery is pretty much always better, but icy veins tends to make recommendation for ST.

i used haste as primary stat till i was 455, my dps was awful in every case. went on mastery and i saw improvements, got some masterful corruption and it got even better. in my case i feel good when my haste is around 1.5k ish.