Alliance Will playing only Shadow limit me in progression guilds?

Hey guys, quick question.

I really enjoy playing a Shadow Priest, but that's basically all I want to do. I hate healing with a passion, I just cannot enjoy it.

With Shadow's current state, this probably sounds like a bad choice. But with the recent Shadowlands announcement to reworking Shadow, I believe that I could focus on playing only Shadow with little to no drawback.

Currently, I am only raiding Heroic content but maybe will dabble in Mythic in Shadowlands if my guild sees fit to try harder content.

Do you think limiting my ability to only playing one spec makes me less valuable as a player? I think so. But you should play what you enjoy, right?

Heroic content doesn't matter in terms of flexibility. It would be nice but is in no way needed

You can clear HC with 10 people literally being AFK. Your class and or spec does not matter at all.

I only gonna play shadow too, and im "half a mythic"-raider, if they want me to change, then bye. Shadow4life.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyCowBro View Post
    Hey guys, quick question.

I really enjoy playing a Shadow Priest, but that's basically all I want to do. I hate healing with a passion, I just cannot enjoy it.

With Shadow's current state, this probably sounds like a bad choice. But with the recent Shadowlands announcement to reworking Shadow, I believe that I could focus on playing only Shadow with little to no drawback.

Currently, I am only raiding Heroic content but maybe will dabble in Mythic in Shadowlands if my guild sees fit to try harder content.

Do you think limiting my ability to only playing one spec makes me less valuable as a player? I think so. But you should play what you enjoy, right?
    ????????????????????????????????
    Is this an actual question? when's the last time someone playing what spec they wanted actually mattered in a raid outside of a mythic. Aslong as you raid in a casual heroic guild and you're not one of those garbage players in a casual guild who think they're "elite" and have issues with your guild progressing on heroic, you can play whatever you want.
    However pugs are a diff story, pugs on Tuesday are usually mythic raider mains/alts trying to pug heroic to get loot before their main mythic raid so they won't pick you if your class/gear is garbage. After Tuesday, every pug is run by scrub garbage players who want to get carried, those groups usually kill 1-3 bosses before people realize the leader is a carry and start leaving.

You could probably get away with it in most guilds, even lower end mythic ones. Though it's always nice to have players who can switch to an off spec if one of the healers can't make it. In mythic progression, if we need 5 healers for a boss, and another priest we have is willing to heal and you aren't, I'm probably dropping you unless shadow is madly overtuned. There's always inherent risk if you're playing a hybrid that your one dps spec just happens to be bad that tier. Pures are more versatile. That said, if you enjoy shadow and focus on it, chances are you'll be better than a FotM warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only in bad ones.

Unless you're in one of those competitive guilds racing to be first... majority of guilds don't care as long as you're doing your role competently when it comes to progression, and not dying to stupid stuff and what have you...

If you learn to play Shadow properly, you can stay SP at all times and still be brought to Mythic up to like top 100 world. That number is just me randomly listing one, the real number might be slightly lower or slightly higher (top 50 - top 250). If you go to higher ranked guilds than that, they start enforcing alts, in which case, anybody playing Shadow would logicaly have a Warlock or Boomkin alt, and would probably be forced to play those instead in a scenario where SPs were underperforming. Nobody really forced their SPs to reroll for all of Legion or BFA though. The very best ones, as in top 20, had their SPs go Warlock in Uldir, but that's about it. Anybody who wanted to, raided on their SP for all of Legion and all of BFA excluding Uldir.

Keep in mind, Shadow, while historically not great in comparison to something like Warriors, Rogues, Mages and Locks, Shadow has only been BAD on few occasions: Ulduar and ToGC in WotLK (before Shadow got the bandaid buffs that allowed our DoTs to scale with Haste), the first month of Cata (before the buffs that made Shadow FotM for the rest of the expansion), ALL of MoP, early WoD (the time period in Highmaul between the buffs to all the other classes and the buffs to Shadow that came like a month later), and early BFA before our scaling kicked in with late Uldir gear.

Sure, that's a long list, but with the exception of WotLK and MoP, all the other periods of Shadow being weak, only lasted for very short periods of time, before we got buffs/scaling that made us borderline OP after it. MoP is the big bad though. How Blizz allowed us to be THE weakest Dps spec in the game for an entire expansion is still a mystery to me.

In any guild worse than top 100, you would have been allowed to stay Shadow through it all, even during WotLK and MoP. Assuming the leadership in your guild weren't retarded ofc.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2020-08-09 at 05:54 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I have always been a tank with an alt shadow priest which in bfa turned main. I will stick with shadow, till the day I die - probably. I love it and now with the rework I think we are more than capable of being "only" shadow. However, I know a lot of people/guilds, at least mythic, require flexibility within your class, which occasionally means switching spec. But in my personal experience, most people respect a "no" if you tell them that you only play shadow because it's the most fun to you.
    The weak fear the shadows... fear controls them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Heroic raiding that guild lets you play what you like = Bad

Hmm
    You understood it wrong. "Only in bad ones" is an answer to the title, while I'd say in bad ones and world-top guilds is a better answer to that.
    Bad mythic guilds completely rely on "fotm" stuff, because most are bad player.
    World-top guilds need as much power as possible.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    "Only in bad ones" is an answer to the title, while I'd say in bad ones and world-top guilds is a better answer to that.
    Yeah, this is correct. I didn't mention the actual competitive Mythic raiding because OP isn't dabbling in those waters (otherwise this post wouldn't exist).