Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Slightly off topic but... can anybody confirm if KT has got new or old voice on PTR?
    New

10 char

Just an update, we did Solarian on PTR and used no resist, boss died on the first pull. Boss doesn't have it's wrath ability (bomb on player), doesn't appear to do any significant damage to the tanks, the AOE adds have no health and do no damage and that includes the priests, even had them accidentally melee hitting non tanks and it didn't matter.

Then the boss goes down to final phase, turns into void walker and promptly dies. Maybe they changed her, they changed A'lar to work different and KT also got a bunch of fixes. KT is the only hard boss in T5 so far, but I haven't tried Vashj since the bridge was bugged and wouldn't open.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2021-08-04 at 09:56 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    When i did this during the original tbc progression you absolutely needed the full resistance gear for hydross and as maintank i had both sets and so has the 2e tank while the 3/4e tank only had 1 resistance set.

You couldnt wing that fight and just go with lower resistance because hydross will stomp you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Just an update, we did Solarian on PTR and used no resist, boss died on the first pull. Boss doesn't have it's wrath ability (bomb on player), doesn't appear to do any significant damage to the tanks, the AOE adds have no health and do no damage and that includes the priests, even had them accidentally melee hitting non tanks and it didn't matter.

Then the boss goes down to final phase, turns into void walker and promptly dies. Maybe they changed her, they changed A'lar to work different and KT also got a bunch of fixes. KT is the only hard boss in T5 so far, but I haven't tried Vashj since the bridge was bugged and wouldn't open.
    Hmm never during progression did we need resistance gear for her lol
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Hmm never during progression did we need resistance gear for her lol
    This, i dont remember ever needing anything for her, we just went there, and she melted after a few tries back in 2007, not sure what this talk about resistance is from.

Hydross we had 2 tanks, 1 frost, 1 nature if i recall with me being the frost tank..Maybe a 3rd and my memory betrays me? :S but i doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Boss doesn't have it's wrath ability (bomb on player)
    Lol, what? Why? That was the only remotely "individual responsibility"-esque thing about that fight, why would they remove it?

I remember getting our two tanks a set of resist gear each. We killed Hydross once, then one of them quit. We never bothered again. Think he was 100% optional at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Lol, what? Why? That was the only remotely "individual responsibility"-esque thing about that fight, why would they remove it?
    The original Solarian has a different version of wrath of the astromancer. It's a harder fight this way though extremely high dps makes it a non-issue because it gets worse as the fight goes on.

The way it originally worked is every phase 1 she puts a debuff on a player that does arcane damage over time for 8 seconds and bounces to the nearest player when it expires. It leaves a 45 second debuff after bouncing that increases arcane damage taken by 50% and stacks. So there's actually more personal responsibility here to put the debuff in a place where it won't keep stacking and will actually fall off.

If your dps is extremely high you can faceroll it, if dps is high you can use two arcane resist capped 'wrath tanks' who sit with the debuff bouncing between themselves but it needs to die fast before it stacks too high and their arcane resist is eroded by mark of solarian. For most guilds whose raid dps is more like 13,000 instead of 20,000 they'll probably need to actually make two groups and have the wrath fall by having it only bounce to people who don't already have the debuff.

The 1st version she only cast arcane missiles on her aggro target.

The 2nd version (the one on PTR) she has 4.55 million HP and casts arcane missiles randomly.

The 3rd version (the one more players did, by 2.1 this was already live) she had 3.4 million HP and arcane resistance was unusually effective against her spells.

The 4th version (the one most players saw, which came in 2.2) is the bomb version where the fight is just Baron Geddon and mark of solarian is also removed.

This 2nd version might surprise people whose dps isn't really high, I have actually seen a lot of Solarian wipes on the ptr.

Like that screenshot on page one, also looking at warcraftlogs now

Endless fury is 98th percentile for Magtheridon kill speed and top 200 progression so if they're wiping multiple times the average guild might be surprised by this one.

This guild is less well ranked and put their entire raid in 250 arcane resist after wiping six times then killed it.

Last edited by Nitros14; 2021-08-05 at 10:24 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't remember us ever using anything more than Paladin Resist Aura against Hydross and having him as a farm boss. Though we also had a Paladin MT back in OG TBC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    This, i dont remember ever needing anything for her, we just went there, and she melted after a few tries back in 2007, not sure what this talk about resistance is from.

Hydross we had 2 tanks, 1 frost, 1 nature if i recall with me being the frost tank..Maybe a 3rd and my memory betrays me? :S but i doubt it.
    You used 2 tanks for the boss both with full resistance gear for each phase and we used a third tank with a mix set for the adds.

The only time the raid is going to need resistance gear going forward is that late boss in Black temple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I honestly don't remember us ever using anything more than Paladin Resist Aura against Hydross and having him as a farm boss. Though we also had a Paladin MT back in OG TBC.
    Must have been after they nerfed hydross then because a tank without full resistance gear would get melted when the raid was current fresh out of t4 and i dont see how a pala would have been able to survive better then a warrior or druid.

Also as memory serves hydross wasnt tauntable so the raid had to wait a bit after he wiped the threat after a switch and pala tank threat besides the aoe was very low.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I remember getting our two tanks a set of resist gear each. We killed Hydross once, then one of them quit. We never bothered again. Think he was 100% optional at that point.
    Actually he wasnt optional, you needed to kill him to open the bridge to vashj back in the day. Only the fish boss was optional. Tho i dont know if that was changed later when hyjal and blacktemple went live.

You needed to press this machine behind hydross after you kill him to open up vasjh’s bridge.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2021-08-05 at 11:43 AM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Must have been after they nerfed hydross then because a tank without full resistance gear would get melted when the raid was current fresh out of t4 and i dont see how a pala would have been able to survive better then a warrior or druid.

Also as memory serves hydross wasnt tauntable so the raid had to wait a bit after he wiped the threat after a switch and pala tank threat besides the aoe was very low
    I'm not sure how long it took them to nerf Hydross, but we were doing progression in SSC fairly early in the Raids cycle, since we had a core group from Naxx40 that basically stomped through T4. But you could be right.

Also, from memory I thought the way Righteous Defense worked helped Paladins actually tank swap really well since if cast on another Tank it put you above them on the threat of all Targets it affected, since it was less of a taunt and more of a threat bypass.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2021-08-05 at 11:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post

Also, from memory I thought the way Righteous Defense worked helped Paladins actually tank swap really well since if cast on another Tank it put you above them on the threat of all Targets it affected, since it was less of a taunt and more of a threat bypass.
    Ye but since hydross wiped all threat when he switched it means the next tank had to retake aggro and start up building threat and therefor the raid had to wait a few seconds with dps after a switch, thats why i find it weird to see a guild use a pala. But im 100% sure that no form of tank tanked that boss without the required resistance gear because hydross dmg was all pure frost and nature damage, we used 2 warriors for the boss and a druid for adds

I just checked some old videos and i saw one of a full T6 geared tank without resistance gear and just buffs getting hammered by hydross so im pretty sure a tank without it couldnt have survived.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2021-08-05 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    oh they did? I thought it was just MOTW and frost aura?
    Nope. Everyone should be using frost resist on saph, but healers use less, only around 100 or so, since they can't really afford to be dropping healing stats. I personally started off using minimal FR, but just equipping a couple pieces of it made a significant difference in my frost damage taken.

Ok here is a replay for you. As you can see we have some people getting deleted by the boss towards the end, but in a general sense nothing happens in the fight and you just burn her down. This was our first pull, and for what it's worth we wiped on KT for like 1h30min after this. KT will drop with that raid setup though (a little melee heavy), but we actually have a decent amount in our guild who have never done TBC before.

Maybe for lower dps and lesser geared guilds it will be a problem, but a couple of pieces of arcane resist on some players would also probably remove all those deaths and the boss would still be easy enough.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2021-08-05 at 02:43 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4