Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    lorewise it is too easy to merge factions, we have legion specially great example of how to merge both factions for any activity, one of reasons why BFA was shit lore-wise is because how well Legion merged factions that it didn't make sense we get from best buddies to f8ck u in 1 exp (MoP took 2 exp of hostilities and 1 flat out full war to make it)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

15+ Year Old Account
    They will either open up cross faction PVE/PVP completely or they won't. There is no point in any kind of mixed solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Let me simplify how cross-faction SHOULD theoretically work.

We return to Azeroth some time later from the shadowlands to see that WE made 2 critical errors. The first is, we defeated a First one in the Shadowlands that drew our worlds together, and more or less, sent out a beacon through the twisting nether to inform the voidlords specifically where in the universe we are. The second one is as a result of our absence on Azeroth. Stormwind and Orgrimmar have both fallen to encroaching armies. The Horde and Alliance have been defeated by lightforged Garrosh ushering in a band of zealots from alternate Draenei under the leadership of the Naaru Prime, Xe'ra to hunt down the Mag'har orcs that evaded capture on alternate Draenor. Stormwind has been brought down, as the lightbound Draenei (not to be confused with the Lightforged) demolished the primary city of the Alliance after Turalyon refused to turn over Alleria and the void elves to the lightbound. Yrel defects, unable to continue fighting for the lightbound after they attack the lightforged, and becomes lightforged, herself to replace Turalyon after he is struck down in the initial fight for Stormwind. The entirety of the lower portion of the Eastern Kingdoms has fallen. The dwarves, under the lead of the queen regent, Moira, and her son, king Dagran Thaurissan II have retreated into the nearly impregnable Blackrock Mountain. Gnomeregan has sealed itself up, after being completely cleaned up with the aid of the mechagnomes and now serves as a sanctuary for the remnants of what was the Alliance. The Admiralty of Boralus and the Empire of Zuldazar are in terrible jeopardy of being taken over by the lightbound. Kalimdor has been divided, once again as Thunder Bluff has been entirely destroyed, Orgrimmar has been sacked, and Azshara is now in complete control of the lightbound. Even the Venture Company and the Steamwheedle cartel have now formed an allegiance with the rebellion forces of the Alliance and Horde remnants.

There is no Horde or Alliance, anymore. Both have found a common enemy in the zealots of the lightbound. In the next 2 patches, as the voidlords make their way to Azeroth, there will be a 3-way battle which involve the Revolutionaries v. the lightbound v. the voidlords. AND... Gilneas is inhabitable, and Quel'thalas has been revealed after all this time.
    I like this. Although stubborn blizzrad will likely do something more along the line of the OP, too scared of being radical .. but we shall see.

I appreciate the effort, but the simplest lore solution is often the best. The factions can still exist and not like each other (and warmode should still exist for faction v faction play), but, you, one of azeroth's champions, can simply in game and in lore come to decision that factions are antiquated and like so many other lore figures you've decided that you simply don't give a shit and can therefore group with whomever. If cross faction guilds are also possible then that too. Turning wm on should still be the same as it is now, but without warmode you should be able to engage with any other champion of azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This sounds awfully convoluted. Factions opening up should mean that if you're doing a M+ or raid group that people from both factions can see your group and apply to be invited.
    As a guy who keeps getting pounded over the head about how much better FF14 is with taking it slow and enjoying the story instead of rushing to the end and claiming the story is so much better than WoW's I see you as the kind of player every FF player thinks every WoW player is. You call having a story "convoluted."
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Or they could just go "hey if the jailer was behind literally everything then all the wars were fucking pointless so maybe lets not be toolbags and keep doing that?"

or just keep sports teaming mentality on the go jumping from each bigger badder apocalypse to the next forever. Because sure the worlds nearly been destroyed a dozen times in 20 years, but that one guy did something bad so his entire species must be pogrommed!

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    As a guy who keeps getting pounded over the head about how much better FF14 is with taking it slow and enjoying the story instead of rushing to the end and claiming the story is so much better than WoW's I see you as the kind of player every FF player thinks every WoW player is. You call having a story "convoluted."
    There's having a story on one hand and then there's just adding needless obstacles on the other. This suggestion is firmly planted in the latter. We have enough systems in this game, we don't need another one to explain away cross-faction grouping. The game's over-arching story already supports cross-faction play anyway.

It is a fascinating idea but imo things should be kept simple, join w/e group-guild you want without any obstacles of races, factions, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    It will happen
    you don't know that.

and there is a big difference in letting different factions make groups than "faction opening up" or "ending factions"

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    lorewise it is too easy to merge factions, we have legion specially great example of how to merge both factions for any activity, one of reasons why BFA was shit lore-wise is because how well Legion merged factions that it didn't make sense we get from best buddies to f8ck u in 1 exp (MoP took 2 exp of hostilities and 1 flat out full war to make it)

lorewise it is impossible to merge factions, the races hate each other for years and will continue to do so, legion was as much shit as bfa in lore department and isn't an example of nothing, since the heroes worked alone with other organizations, not the factions

Any thread on MMO-C that says how something in the game should be, is pretty universally wrong, and evidence that people here should never become game developers.

This thread isn't an exception.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

why the hell do you want to half ass a system that is wanted by almost all players and make it so complicated it basically doesnt solve any problem?!

there are 2 reasons people want cross faction, first one is more player pool so guilds (specailly on alliance side ) can recruit from larger pool of players and second is for players to play with any race they want and not have to play with something they dont like just because 90% of player base and their friend list are playing on the other side.

your solution fixes nothing of that, its so bad it almost feels like what blizzard will do.

WoW has too many "I quit" moments, and if the factions are one of those, then they need to go or be optional.

This sounds awfully convoluted. Factions opening up should mean that if you're doing a M+ or raid group that people from both factions can see your group and apply to be invited.
    Agreed. They should keep it super simple. Less work that way and every time they try to do some large crazy convoluted thing, it fails spetacularly.

There's having a story on one hand and then there's just adding needless obstacles on the other. This suggestion is firmly planted in the latter. We have enough systems in this game, we don't need another one to explain away cross-faction grouping. The game's over-arching story already supports cross-faction play anyway.
    We don't need... an ingame explanation for how faction crossing came to be? That's ludicrous. Thank you for doubling down. I also love how people who hate having to actually play the game label everything they don't like under "systems." I can practically taste the disdain. It's delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Did you ever read the Good War book? Sylvanas explained it pretty clearly why long term peace between the factions is an iffy thing that could come back to bite the Horde in the ass. Her being revealed to be the Jailer's servant didn't invalidate any of her arguments.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

We don't need... an ingame explanation for how faction crossing came to be? That's ludicrous. Thank you for doubling down. I also love how people who hate having to actually play the game label everything they don't like under "systems." I can practically taste the disdain. It's delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever read the Good War book? Sylvanas explained it pretty clearly why long term peace between the factions is an iffy thing that could come back to bite the Horde in the ass. Her being revealed to be the Jailer's servant didn't invalidate any of her arguments.
    Does not matter.

Your character can be friends with another member of the Alliance and vice-versa. We allready have mercenaries for BG, apply the same for Dungeon and Raids and voi-la.

You caught me. I hate overcomplicated solutions for simple problems. I'd imagine most other WoW players do, too, because this has been the issue with Blizzard's design philosophy as of late. Instead of just giving players what we want, they have to make us jump through pointless hoops to justify something's existence. If we're going to have cross faction play, I'd prefer if they didn't make us do that.

You caught me. I hate overcomplicated solutions for simple problems. I'd imagine most other WoW players do, too, because this has been the issue with Blizzard's design philosophy as of late. Instead of just giving players what we want, they have to make us jump through pointless hoops to justify something's existence. If we're going to have cross faction play, I'd prefer if they didn't make us do that.
    So in here we have you passing off having a story labelled a "complication solution". Then trying the logical fallacy of appeal to numbers, making an argument that since "other people" agree with you you're right. Then you presume to know what other people want. Then double down that your opinion is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Its bad idea to mix lore with game systems. This is group finder. Enter--->find group--->finish the job--->move along.

Its not like we are gonna be social and make friends in any group since the key communications can even be macroed:

1. sap
    2. sheep
    3. pull
    4. mana
    5. noob

Does anyone really want devs to waste even more time than they already have trying to sanitize the wow experience, in order to make an intricate story noone will even bother to read and everyone will be frustrated to have to redo for all their alts?

Just keep things plain and simple its not like theres anything social/lore in the game to worry about any more. Just give us shorter queues for whatever already.
    The lore needs a lot of work, THe story needs to make sense and give context to what we are doing, even when grouping.

If thrall and Jaina can work together, then we need to create factions within each race that can work together with those of races in the opposite faction so they all have their versions of Jaina and Thrall

People who like war and conflict between payers have lore to back them up.

People who want peace and corporation between players should also have lore in place that also supports this choice as legitimate.

So in here we have you passing off having a story labelled a "complication solution". Then trying the logical fallacy of appeal to numbers, making an argument that since "other people" agree with you you're right. Then you presume to know what other people want. Then double down that your opinion is fact.
    Again, why are you continuing to circle back to this idea that lore is important for a feature like this? The game's story has already been largely faction agnostic for the last couple expansions with both Alliance and Horde leaders teaming up to fight the big bad. The functionality of cross-faction play that I'm advocating for is that you're simply able to guild/group in raids/M+ with the opposing faction. Everything else about the game stays the same. It's simply opening the borders for more people to join your groups -- an inelegant solution to a problem that has been getting worse with every raid tier.

Why the complexity though? Arbitrary core races that are exempt is just a weird fit, where you are stretching lore for the sake of gameplay. The easiest solution is probably the best. Just alter the trajectory of the story so that the whole idea of factions doesn't make any more sense, or at the very least remove the racial component to factions. So either:

1) Kill factions altogether since they don't do anything but handcuff storytelling, or:
    2) Turn the factions into no racialized groups. At character creation you pick race then faction. Hell, you can even have a mechanic that allows for faction changing

And that's pretty much. Either remove the outdated mechanic, or turn into something that gives players more agency by allowing them to decide which faction appeals to them more. Take the handcuffs off of the storytellers and let the gameplay feel a lot more free, and make it so that you can play with racials and the like without it needing to be so perfectly balanced all the time or risk killing a faction.