Any reason to upgrade shards at this point?

Simply put, I don't have a bunch of stygia saved up, so it doesn't seem worth wiping it all out for the chisel to remove and upgrade the shards with 9.2 coming soon. Or am I missing something here?

Quick history, I just came back to wow, haven't played any shadowlands, my main got all the shards and what not, but I'm not in a raiding guild and just pug normal raids right now so no pressure on gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont really see the need with 9.2 being right around the corner and catchup mechanics being what they are these days. I would guess that if they are important to the next release of content, Blizz will put offer a catchup for these as well...best to wait it out at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Wramp View Post
    i dont really see the need with 9.2 being right around the corner and catchup mechanics being what they are these days. I would guess that if they are important to the next release of content, Blizz will put offer a catchup for these as well...best to wait it out at this point
    Shards will be disabled for 9.2 zone, pvp and new raid, so I don't think they would be important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    Shards will be disabled for 9.2 zone, pvp and new raid, so I don't think they would be important.
    They'll still be useful questing in the Maw and Korthia, running SoD if you still want to, and running Torghast for the remainder of the xpac. If you have the embers I'd say keep them upgraded as much as you can.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    They'll still be useful questing in the Maw and Korthia, running SoD if you still want to, and running Torghast for the remainder of the xpac. If you have the embers I'd say keep them upgraded as much as you can.
    Ya but will the lower stats of the gear and shard powers be better than current tier gear? I wouldn't think that would be the case, maybe for a little while until you get a full tier set or something. Unless I'm just missing something special with SoD?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    Ya but will the lower stats of the gear and shard powers be better than current tier gear? I wouldn't think that would be the case, maybe for a little while until you get a full tier set or something. Unless I'm just missing something special with SoD?
    Shards are really damn strong, even stronger with the set bonuses from using three of the same. With how they've been trying to prevent huge jumps in ilvl these days I could see dom gear remaining superior over heroic tier from the next patch in places where the set bonus works.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    While they will be active in e.g. Torghast, they will not make up for the iLevel difference in new gear and tier bonus.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Not really.

Even though shards are really good, higher ilvl items with Double Legendaries+Tier sets will be probably more powerful.

They could still have slightly upperhand in Torghast and in the Maw(combined with double legendaries+tier sets) compared to other items of course.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you’re still raiding, or doing Korthia, then yes. If not, no

On one hand, they'll be disabled in all the new content and such, on the other, what exactly are you going to do with the leftover currency?

at this point it's probably best to leave the chisel and spend your stygia on other stuff first. you can still upgrade your shards without socketing them so they're ready for when you do eventually get the chisel

Good points all around. Thanks ya'll. I might just burn the stygia and enjoy the shard content now to see the power increase for quicker daily activity and better raid performance, and either it will be useless in a few weeks or not. We'll probably have 9.2 for a year so I'm sure I'll get plenty of stygia by the end to buy anything else I want. Hell for all we know there will be a catchup mechanic for stygia added in 9.2 and we'll all drown in the stuff.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    at this point it's probably best to leave the chisel and spend your stygia on other stuff first. you can still upgrade your shards without socketing them so they're ready for when you do eventually get the chisel
    OOPS socketed the ones I want to use before understanding the upgrade mechanic lol
    Last edited by Ornerybear; 2022-01-24 at 06:45 PM.