Thread: Faction Goals

Faction Goals

What if there were faction goals/objective like in Heroes of the storm in World of Warcraft that players can work towards so everyone in their faction can get a reward?

Example 1: Capturing ppv objectives like the Hellfire Fortifications gives your faction points. When your faction gets enough points from capturing world objectives your faction gets Gold and Honor rewards and also a statue and celebratory props in Thrallmar/Honorhold to show your progress/victory. Other zones that can have similar objectives: Southern Barrens, Twillight Highlands, Swamps of sorrows, Jade forest, Grizzily Hills.

Example 2: There is a farm in Tirisfal glades. If you turn in enough objective points that you get from caputuring world objectives in the zone, the crops will grow and players can loot food.

Example 3:There is an NPC in Stormwind/Orgrimmar who farms random items that changes every week. These items are usually grey vendor items. Players have to farm these items everyweek and turn it in to this NPC. When your faction completes the goal your faction gets gold and profession items.

Disclaimer: Points needed to win adjust to the amount of players in both sides. Say if there is 100 Alliance and 200 Horde, alliance only need 40 points and Horde 100.
    The goal is to create content around both community and making impact in the world.
    I think players can make an impact and get rewards without there being a winner and a loser. So both faction has a threshold to reach a reward regardless of the other faction.

Here are a few more faction goals ideas:
    -Trade route: Capture a road that gives your faction resources/points overtime from traders and resource carts passing by. Crates of goods accumlate and Players can get a share of the resources.

-Finding random artifacts/treasure gives your faction points that will add treasures to your factions treasury and give your faction gold and some buffs ones the threshold is reached.

-Global War: fighting and killing each other and enemy npcs gives points to players of your faction in specific zones. The players can invest their points to specific zones they choose withrewards like town defenses like turrets and cannons, and offensive rewards like usable seige vehicles assaulting soldier npcs in the zone. The defense and the offense will keep the war going. Reward also involves honor and gold.

-Going over enemy Treasurys/Storehouse found in cities and stealing the treasure there. The reward is honor/gold and armor loot. If you kill enemy faction trying to steal the treasure you and your allies will be rewarded with gold/buffs/loot and also increases the fortification on your treasury like usable turrets and cannons to make killing people trying to steal from your treasury easier.

-Missings person in wow. Go on a man hunt all over azeroth’s nook and cranny to find specific NPCs. Faction who finds them will be rewarded.

I could think of some more if requested, maybe some rewarding proffesion materials

(i've updated this post)

For a more PVE oriented version of this idea, check out this post
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2023-11-10 at 07:08 PM.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauredfangs View Post
    What if there were faction goals/objective like in Heroes of the storm in World of Warcraft that players can work towards so everyone in their faction can get a reward.

Example: Like the Hellfire Fortifications: When your faction gets enough points your faction gets Gold and Honor rewards. And also a statue in Thrallmar/Honorhold to show your progress/victory.

Example 2: There is an NPC in Stormwind/Orgrimmar who farms random items that changes every week. These items are usually grey vendor items. Players have to farm these items everyweek and turn it in to this NPC. The winning faction gets gold and profession items. Losing team has reward but not as much as the winning faction.
    You do realize that most realms have severely imbalanced factions right? lol

Because it would be almost impossible to balance it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Because it would be almost impossible to balance it.
    Maybe players can make an impact in the world and get rewards without there being a winner and a loser. Both faction has a threshold to reach a reward regardless of the other faction, and then points needed adjust to the amount of players in both sides.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events

7+ Year Old Account
    What if there were faction goals/objective like in Heroes of the storm in World of Warcraft that players can work towards so everyone in their faction can get a reward.

Example: Like the Hellfire Fortifications: When your faction gets enough points your faction gets Gold and Honor rewards and also a statue in Thrallmar/Honorhold to show your progress/victory. Losing team has reward but not as much as the winning faction. Other zones that can have similar objectives: Southern Barrens, Twillight Highlands, Ashenvale, Swamps of sorrows, Jade forest, Grizzily Hills.

Example 2: There is an NPC in Stormwind/Orgrimmar who farms random items that changes every week. These items are usually grey vendor items. Players have to farm these items everyweek and turn it in to this NPC. The winning faction gets gold and profession items. Losing team has reward but not as much as the winning faction.

Example 3: There is a farm in Tirisfal glades. If you turn in enough objective points that you get from objective points, the crops will grow and players can loot food.

-Edit: Points needed adjust to the amount of players in both sides.
    -Edit 2: The goal is to create content around both community and making impact in the world.
    -Edit 3: Maybe players can make an impact and get rewards without there being a winner and a loser. Both faction has a threshold to reach a reward regardless of the other faction.
    Sounds cool, people will still bitch though which is common amongst this community.

The community and gaming in general has become to sensitive, if someone is better then you let them be rewarded for their effort I say...something I can't get without overcoming the enemy, its the whole power struggle fantasy. It fits.

Example: Like the Hellfire Fortifications: When your faction gets enough points your faction gets Gold and Honor rewards and also a statue in Thrallmar/Honorhold to show your progress/victory. Losing team has reward but not as much as the winning faction. Other zones that can have similar objectives: Southern Barrens, Twillight Highlands, Ashenvale, Swamps of sorrows, Jade forest, Grizzily Hills.

Example 3: There is a farm in Tirisfal glades. If you turn in enough objective points that you get from objective points, the crops will grow and players can loot food.

-Edit: Points needed adjust to the amount of players in both sides.
    -Edit 2: The goal is to create content around both community and making impact in the world.
    -Edit 3: Maybe players can make an impact and get rewards without there being a winner and a loser. Both faction has a threshold to reach a reward regardless of the other faction.
    Good ideas, but hard to implement properly.
    If it's too good it will suffer from faction imbalance and/or coordinated disruptive behavioir.
    If it's not good enough then it will be ignored entirely.

Still worth the try, imo, and i like that you understand that the losers also need to gain from pvp or you'll run out of people to defeat very quickly.

Personally i would design certain places as "natural" conflict zones instead of or in addition to such local objectives, think of ideal farming spots and such, and then i would encourage gaining an upper hand in said spots by whatever means, to spread interests and benefits across the map cohesively while still channelling enough people intocertain areas to encourage interaction.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Here are a few more faction goals ideas:

-Trade route: Capture a road that gives your faction resources/points overtime from traders and resource carts passing by. Players can get a share of the resources.

-Finding random artifacts/treasure gives your faction points that will give your faction gold and some buffs

-Global War: fighting and killing each other and enemy npcs gives points to players of your faction in specific zones. The players can invest their points to rewards like will be more defenses to towns like turrets and cannons, usable seige vehicles and more soldier npcs in the zones overall. Reward also involves honor and gold.

-Going over enemy Treasurys/Storehouse found in city's and towns and stealing the treasure there. The reward is honor/gold and armor loot. If you kill enemy faction trying to steal the treasure you and your allies will be rewarded with gold/buffs/loot and also increases the fortification on your treasury like usable turrets and cannons to make killing people trying to steal from your treasury easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Another idea:

Missings person in wow. Go on a man hunt all over azeroth's nook and cranny to find specific NPCs. Faction who finds them will be rewarded.
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2022-02-04 at 09:08 AM.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events

It's too late for all this.

The faction damage is done, and WoW has basically gotten over its own factions - they're a mechanical hindrance more so than a feature at this point, and the only reason they're not outright abolishing them is a pathological need to cling to the faction fantasy.

This would be better suited for a fresh game, where we aren't already laboring under a decade plus of imbalance.

It dosnt even have to be Faction specific.

I dont know why but i remember the unlocking of the Questhub in Quel´Thalas back in TBC as one of the coolest things.

As i remember the players had to do the daylie Quests to fill up a bar.
    When the Bar is full you unlocked the next district of the Hub with new Vendors and Daylies.
    And the Progress of Horde and Alliance was taken into account, but it was Server specific.

I mean they just can design something simmilar to that.
    So the Serverwide comunity needs to accomplishe something to progress.

Later in Cata, we got some similar thing, but that was just Character Specific.

I would like them to re introduce something the Community comes together and work for a common goal.

For sure they must consider the population of the realms, so that they can make sure that a low Pop Server wont need 2 month longer to finish something.
    But i like the idea to "work" for something, and if the community does well the content get unlocked a little earlier then on other realms.

The reward musst not be power related, maybe cath up gear, but unlock other fun daylies and vendors for cosmetics and titels and so on, would be great.
    Last edited by Mordog; 2022-02-04 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's too late for all this.

The faction damage is done, and WoW has basically gotten over its own factions - they're a mechanical hindrance more so than a feature at this point, and the only reason they're not outright abolishing them is a pathological need to cling to the faction fantasy.

This would be better suited for a fresh game, where we aren't already laboring under a decade plus of imbalance.
    I suppose if faction based goals couldn't work. The next best thing to get a community effort going would be guild objectives. Instead of pvp goals they could fight npc's instead. I would find that more boring though, i'd rather have it faction based >.>. There's more comunity involved, and pvp is just more fun than fighting npc's with bad ai. You can make more friends and enemies, idk >.>. even if its Ai. vs faction it's better than ai vs guild. You're just more open to know more people in the community.
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2022-02-06 at 07:52 PM.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events

Quote Originally Posted by Mordog View Post
    It dosnt even have to be Faction specific.

I dont know why but i remember the unlocking of the Questhub in Quel´Thalas back in TBC as one of the coolest things.

As i remember the players had to do the daylie Quests to fill up a bar.
    When the Bar is full you unlocked the next district of the Hub with new Vendors and Daylies.
    And the Progress of Horde and Alliance was taken into account, but it was Server specific.

I mean they just can design something simmilar to that.
    So the Serverwide comunity needs to accomplishe something to progress.

Later in Cata, we got some similar thing, but that was just Character Specific.

I would like them to re introduce something the Community comes together and work for a common goal.

For sure they must consider the population of the realms, so that they can make sure that a low Pop Server wont need 2 month longer to finish something.
    But i like the idea to "work" for something, and if the community does well the content get unlocked a little earlier then on other realms.

The reward musst not be power related, maybe cath up gear, but unlock other fun daylies and vendors for cosmetics and titels and so on, would be great.
    Yeah if there is like 100 on alliance and 200 horde, alliance only need like 40 to achieve their objective. Also this idea was inspired by a mix of Ilse of Quel'danas and heroes of the storm. Then I innovated on it a bit.

Edit: also there could be both neutral goals like quel Dana's as well as pvp ones
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2022-02-11 at 07:59 PM.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events