Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    If you can't think of a way to implement housing that would actually increase the social aspect of the game, I'm affraid that you lack imagination. Just make it so that the pieces of furnitures that you can put in your house come from multiplayer activities or crafting.

"It won't work because it has never been implemented" ? What kind of logic is that ? As good as you think the game is, it is not perfect, there is always room for improvement and housing is, in all the mmorpgs I played that have this feature, a beloved one, one that bring a lot of people into the game and make them stay longer. Sometimes devs don't have implemented it just because they, for now, have decided to focus other parts of the game, doesn't mean that it wouldn't make the game better. Imagine a dude saying in WoD that a infinite scaling difficulty in dungeon "would never work because it has never been implemented".
    Here is the proof:
    1)After the DF release - people been complaining about how empty the world feels due to sharding(source: look here and other forums).
    2)During WoD - people been complaining about the same, as people would stay in thier garrison(personally, I remember how empty Orgrimmar was). Source: look here and other forums.

These are litteral and observable facts. And housing WONT help these issues - in fact it interupts WoWs social culture.

And no - you can't suddenly change the culture after 18 years. People won't start doing RPG stuff suddenly, just becuase you provide them with housing. It didn't work in WoD(while it's not the same, we all tested the waters).

Nobody mentions the maintenance cost vs. maintaining the rest of the game. It is technically expensive task to keep housing up and patched, while they have to decide how to spend the resources(Wildstar is another example of good housing vs. compromised gameplay).

But with your logic - let's implement housing in Fifa or CS. Because "improvements". Or let's have a soccer game in WoW - because of same reasons. Or let's add pineapple on pizza.

There are lots of people who can't accociate to housing, especially those who picked up WoW as their first MMO.

Blizzard would had it implemented long time ago, if it made any sense.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-12-28 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Here is the proof:
    1)After the DF release - people been complaining about how empty the world feels due to sharding(source: look here and other forums).
    2)During WoD - people been complaining about the same, as people would stay in thier garrison(personally, I remember how empty Orgrimmar was). Source: look here and other forums.

These are litteral and observable facts. And housing WONT help these issues - in fact it interupts WoWs social culture.

And no - you can't suddenly change the culture after 18 years. People won't start doing RPG stuff suddenly, just becuase you provide them with housing. It didn't work in WoD(while it's not the same, we all tested the waters).
    Did you could improve your garrisson by doing multiplayer activities ? Again, block the aquisition of pieces to put in your house behind such activites, and suddenly you will have many people doing these activities, and the world will feel more living. The comparison with WoD is nonsense : WoD was not real housing : you pretty much couldn't customized it at all, and that's what people care in housing.

But with your logic - let's implement housing in Fifa or CS. Because "improvements". Or let's have a soccer game in WoW - because of same reasons. Or let's add pineapple on pizza.

There are lots of people who can't accociate to housing, especially those who picked up WoW as their first MMO.

Blizzard would had it implemented long time ago, if it made any sense.
    You're comparing oranges to apples. As I said, housing is one of the most beloved features in almost every games where it's implemented, and most games with it would probably not be as successfull without it. Housing doesn't make sens in Fifa or CS for obvious reasons, will it totally does in the mmorpg genre, proven by countless mmorpgs that have succesfully implemented it. I mean really : have you played any mmorpg with housing to say such things ?
    MMO Champs :

Did you could improve your garrisson by doing multiplayer activities ? Again, block the aquisition of pieces to put in your house behind such activites, and suddenly you will have many people doing these activities, and the world will feel more living. The comparison with WoD is nonsense : WoD was not real housing : you pretty much couldn't customized it at all, and that's what people care in housing.

You're comparing oranges to apples. As I said, housing is one of the most beloved features in almost every games where it's implemented, and most games with it would probably not be as successfull without it. Housing doesn't make sens in Fifa or CS for obvious reasons, will it totally does in the mmorpg genre, proven by countless mmorpgs that have succesfully implemented it. I mean really : have you played any mmorpg with housing to say such things ?
    Yes, my first MMO was EQ2. But I also played DND - should we have dice rolls in WoW?

We can't just cherry pick and say "IF housing is implemented correctly" - that is such a vague statement. We did test the waters in WoD - like it or not. People are into hanging out infront of AHs. They are concerned when the world feels empty. People are into sub numbers.

I'm genuinely concerned for housing:

With proper housing enabled - each toon gets it's own session(like in Wildstar - which is considered the best housing by many).
    And they need to train the staff/hire new, they need to have more server capacity, they need to program housing(based on 18year old technology), they need to keep it relevant for the future expansions. They need to figure out how to earn the decorations and activities.

Point of failure increases. Paradigm/focus might shift from raiding to becoming a Sims game(jeopardizing the playerbase). Or - they would just risk the community shitstorm(just because they didn't implement it "correctly").

It's just not that easy and cheap, compared to what it's worth. They could just add new talents, everybody loves that stuff and for much less resources.

I can't blame them for not implementing housing. I even think it's a wise discission(I don't want them to fail).
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-12-28 at 10:15 PM.

I want my garrison to be relevant again, I love that thing.

Personally, I'm over player housing - I probably wouldn't bother with it too much. Guild halls on the other hand. Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by kieraTM View Post
    How is that 'very simple'? All you've done is just say 'we don't need it' without offering any sort of explanation. MMOs emulate each other, grow and improve. How can player housing harm the game in a legitimate way? How would implementing player housing deviate from your opinion that the game is 'just fine'? Please try to answer the question without some sort of incredibly ambiguous hyperbole, and instead respond with some legitimate reasoning to why player housing would make things worse. As far as I can see, if you don't like it, don't participate, and you will continue to be 'just fine'.
    I always assume it's because Blizzard wants cities to be populated with players, and I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.

Yes, my first MMO was EQ2. But I also played DND - should we have dice rolls in WoW?
    Are dice rolls a beloved feature, that totally makes sens in a mmorpg and bring more players that it repels ? If so, yes.

We can't just cherry pick and say "IF housing is implemented correctly" - that is such a vague statement. We did test the waters in WoD - like it or not. People are into hanging out infront of AHs. They are concerned when the world feels empty. People are into sub numbers.
    Exactly : they tested a bit in WoD and now have more informations for how to implemented properly. For example : no AH in your house, nor ressources to gather.

I'm genuinely concerned for housing:

With proper housing enabled - each toon gets it's own session(like in Wildstar - which is considered the best housing by many).
    And they need to train the staff/hire new, they need to have more server capacity
    If Bobby can buy himself a fourth yacht, I don't think that hiring more people or more servers is out of the realm of possible.

they need to program housing(based on 18year old technology)
    Oh I didn't say it would be easy : implementing it with the engine is definitely the hardest part

they need to keep it relevant for the future expansions.
    Easy : just make a new house relevant to the new expansion, as well as a bunch of new furnitures just as related to the new expansion.

They need to figure out how to earn the decorations and activities.
    Just make them earnable the same way as all the other things : either through mob drop, treasures or crafting, seems very easy.

Point of failure increases. Paradigm/focus might shift from raiding to becoming a Sims game(jeopardizing the playerbase). Or - they would just risk the community shitstorm(just because they didn't implement it "correctly").
    Did it happened in the mmorpgs that implemented it ?

It's just not that easy and cheap, compared to what it's worth. They could just add new talents, everybody loves that stuff and for much less resources.
    It's obviously impossible to know, but I wouldn't be surprised if way more people are interested in visuals vanities like tmog or housing than talents : the majority of people don't really care about talents : they just click at random to match, try to match what they had before, or just copy them from external website.

I can't blame them for not implementing housing. I even think it's a wise discission(I don't want them to fail).
    Wasn't it the kind of things that people said before the implementation of m+ ? Or tmog ?
    MMO Champs :

A player's house could help remove the clutter of one's inventory, provide a meeting space that friends can visit, and increase the in-game feel of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I want my garrison to be relevant again, I love that thing.
    This, i unlocked all kinds of christmas shit for it, trees, ornaments and lights and stuff.
    It's great.

All my favourite'd mounts in the stables, all my favourite pets just strolling around, conveniently has a bank, auction house, profession stuff. All it sort of lacks in terms of practical stuff nowadays are a barber, transformation rostrum, option to turn on warmode, direct access to the portal room and a place to showcase t-mogs / toys / more archaeology finds.
    Oh and maybe other collectibles and a space for them?
    Also i am not sure it has a bedroom.

It'd be nice to have multiple layout options or even freely placeable structures, as well as different styles for the structures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    I always assume it's because Blizzard wants cities to be populated with players, and I don't think it needs to be more complicated than that.
    One could always implement an estate in one of the cities, perhaps two mirrored ones of which one is your own instanced place a la WoD and the other is a public one that can be owned and manipulated by all for prestige stuff.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    One could always implement an estate in one of the cities, perhaps two mirrored ones of which one is your own instanced place a la WoD and the other is a public one that can be owned and manipulated by all for prestige stuff.
    Which does nothing to keep populations in capital cities.

- - - Updated - - -

It's obviously impossible to know, but I wouldn't be surprised if way more people are interested in visuals vanities like tmog or housing than talents : the majority of people don't really care about talents : they just click at random to match, try to match what they had before, or just copy them from external website.
    People might not care about optimizing talents, but they're something a lot of major competitors just don't offer. I'm not sure any of the games that copied WoW's gameplay use talents anymore. I know FFXIV has exactly zero meaningful character customization, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    People might not care about optimizing talents, but they're something a lot of major competitors just don't offer. I'm not sure any of the games that copied WoW's gameplay use talents anymore. I know FFXIV has exactly zero meaningful character customization, for example.
    Well, I haven't played ff14, but maybe they got rid of it for a good reason.
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Not the point he was making. THe point is that housing isn't automatically a game enhancer you think it is.
    It is, but not enough to save a game that had only 3 raiding guilds and all with weirdly closed recruitment. Wildstar failed miserably because it failed to cater to more casual players, which make the majority of a game's playerbase. And yes, cater means giving them options to raid and do dungeons at an accessible difficulty and all that crap wow does with gearing. Wildstar promoted itself as the hardcore WoW for hardcores only, which limited it immensly.

I was never really a proponent of player housing but recently, I really wanted some. A place to display trophies and such is a great idea. It's a hard sell though, because it's a big chunk of development time towards something that, for all intents and purposes, is worthless gameplay wise.

Here's how to do it: dont

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would like player housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Well, I haven't played ff14, but maybe they got rid of it for a good reason.
    Yeah, to appeal to people for which WoW had gotten too complicated. FFXIV is like WoW in slowmo with every boss fight as scripted as Terros.

There is some good ideas in this post,

- The player can have their own book shelfs which is a visual for achievements, they can actually click on a bed to sleep on for resting experience.
    - This could affect many elements of the game: guilds, auction house, mailing. (possible access to the AH would be good aswell)
    - armor rack (affecting gear durability) - Not sure on gear durability but storing personal items rather than going to the bank would be cool
    - It would bring races to their inheritent cities, also remember its phased.
    - Most importantly, is that its a subtle addition. - not to over complicate it would be a good idea, the new professions system has been overcomplicted

This is overall quite a good idea Aboostani!