Over Moderation Killing MMOC

MMOC used to be popping off all the time. Forums were filled with players old and new. Now it's grown pretty stale even as an expansion looms on the horizon. Some of that is due to the decline off the game. But I also think the moderators have a part to play in this as well.

It seems more like navigating some political correctness gauntlet than discussing games. It's ridiculous. It's petty. And it's killing this site.

Threats and malice have no place in the forums, I agree with them there. But they hand out infractions or bans like they're candy.

I made this joke today "People just cling onto this idea of player housing because they can't afford one in the real world". 5 point infraction for trolling. With the mod response "Yes, because denigrating people who want player housing in an MMO (itself not an unusual request) as poor in the real world is neither constructive, necessary, nor welcome in the thread." Really? We can't make jokes now? Fuck off.

This is a forum for GAMES! This is not some work place bulletin board that we have to be worried about HR finding. Back off and let us bullshit with each other.

I know this will get modded, don't really care at this point. MMOC needs a redemption more than WoW does. Wonder why you never came close to being the star that Wowhead is. Not even close. Because it's ran like a child has received a crumb of power and wishes to assert it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    MMOC used to be popping off all the time. Forums were filled with players old and new. Now it's grown pretty stale even as an expansion looms on the horizon. Some of that is due to the decline off the game. But I also think the moderators have a part to play in this as well.

It seems more like navigating some political correctness gauntlet than discussing games. It's ridiculous. It's petty. And it's killing this site.

Threats and malice have no place in the forums, I agree with them there. But they hand out infractions or bans like they're candy.

I made this joke today "People just cling onto this idea of player housing because they can't afford one in the real world". 5 point infraction for trolling. With the mod response "Yes, because denigrating people who want player housing in an MMO (itself not an unusual request) as poor in the real world is neither constructive, necessary, nor welcome in the thread." Really? We can't make jokes now? Fuck off.

This is a forum for GAMES! This is not some work place bulletin board that we have to be worried about HR finding. Back off and let us bullshit with each other.

I know this will get modded, don't really care at this point. MMOC needs a redemption more than WoW does. Wonder why you never came close to being the star that Wowhead is. Not even close. Because it's ran like a child has received a crumb of power and wishes to assert it.
    MMOC has always been filled with overly sensitive people. The mods are no different.

Most are a bunch of woke nonces and it's been strangling the forum for some time. They're probably not big fans of Chapelle.

When was this forum brimming with activity? I joined in 2017 and this place was always super dead compared to the official forums, reddit, discord, basically anywhere else to discuss WoW.

But Yes, the two/three resident mods here are very bad.

The funny thing is that the newest resident mod literally roleplays in the lore and general forums (as some kind of Celestial btw), even though that's against the rules, as you can't roleplay outside the RP forum. These people are so understaffed that they really don't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post

Disagree about over-moderation. For example, I'll be happy when this whining thread is closed.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Most are a bunch of woke nonces and it's been strangling the forum for some time. They're probably not big fans of Chapelle.
    Right? Where's the checks and balances for them? Who's making sure they're doing a good job? Cuz it's certainly not the users or fan base. Thus this site falls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Disagree about over-moderation. For example, I'll be happy when this whining thread is closed.
    yet you're the only one in here that disagrees. Seems like I'm not the only one that share my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread will likely get locked and/or yeeted into the Void soon as its "in the wrong forum"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    You are not forced to participate here. If you can't enjoy yourself nor make the jokes you want without getting in trouble... just go to another forum where you can.

Seems to be the trend on MMO-C in the past couple of years where people feel they are being oppressed by MMO-C moderation when they can't force others to deal with their shitty attitudes, shitty trolling/flaming, and just overall shit nature... and then complain about it.

As a guy with 8 pages of infractions I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence that this place is probably less moderated now than it was in the past. (For the record, I've disputed a few of the infractions but I've never had any turned over.) You needn't look further than the front page where it shows you how many Mods are actually in charge of each area. It's almost non-existent. And really, unless you're straight up flaming people, posting on an obvious sockpuppet or posting image memes (the Mods really don't like these), you're probably good to go. r/wow is more moderated than this place. Hell, r/wowcirclejerk where people do nothing but meme the WoW community 24/7 is more moderated.

10+ Year Old Account
    At some point, people grow out of their "young, dumb, and l33t" phase on how they interact with people over the internet. And sometimes they don't ever grow out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    When was this forum brimming with activity? I joined in 2017 and this place was always super dead compared to the official forums, reddit, discord, basically anywhere else to discuss WoW.

Certainly before 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually looked back at some of the reasons I was infracted.

Goddamn what a cringe reel.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    This thread will likely get locked and/or yeeted into the Void soon as its "in the wrong forum"
    INB4 that's OP intention so he can feel validated.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    No need to tell you what you already know.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php...les_moderating

/closed
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara