10+ Year Old Account

Need some advice for a first time desktop build.

Ok, first time reaserching a build as currently using a 3 year old laptop. After lagging my friends (and myself) into frustration playing starcraft it's time I finally got something to really play with.

• Budget: I'm fine with spending up to $2000 (AUD), but I'd like to probably start off with something more $1500ish with upgradeability.
    • Resolution: I'm going to be buying a monitor with this as well, Res at 1920x1080. Leaning towards a Benq G2420HD HDMI 24" LCD, but open to suggestion.
    • Games / Settings Desired: I'd like to be able to play SC2 at complete max, GW2 will be played in future but specs arn't in for the game yet so estimating etc. Skyrim will also be part of the waiting period
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do : I know my friend would be interested in getting my build to do some video editing/recording. He does some wow videos and with GW2 we might try and do some videos with two different perspectives at once. Also intrested in doing some folding at home, always wanted to get into that.
    • Country: From Australia, so there's beach tax on all this kit
    • Parts that can be reused: Build is completely from scratch, All I have is my mouse and mouse pad.

What I've come up with so far, mainly thanks to Marest's Sample Builds page.

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList...3/Default.aspx

CPU: Intel i5 2500k http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList...K/Default.aspx

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1866 Mhz 2x4Gb http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8095

GPU: This i'm not sure on, Should I get a 580 where I could upgrade it via sli, or just go straight for maybe 2 560Tris for $200 less? should I do 2 580s straight up?

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99 http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList...J/Default.aspx

SSD: Crucial M4 120Gb – or another ssd I can aquire localy.

PSU: Depends on GPU/s, If It was one 580, Id probably still want to get a 850W for future proofing sli.

Heatsink: Noctua was in recomended, but im not familiar with heatsinks, if i'm not overclocking would I still need this, or could I get a cheaper one?

Case: I like the look of the fractal R3 case, But I know there are probably better cases. Corsair 500R Black was nice as well from the recomended stuff.

Hope I've given enough info here, I'd apreciate any advice given, points in the right direction. I should also say I'm in WA, so while (for example sydney) and perth are technicaly in australia, shipping is still painful to get here. Thanks in advance!

15+ Year Old Account

Add $150 for the case and you're right around $1500 for the computer. the R3 is a very good case, i built a computer with that case a month or two ago and liked it very much

The crucial M4 SSD you linked is very good (128GB) but I would make that an afterthought as you can always install it later (or spend the money and get it now). you have a good sense of what you want and linked all nice stuff, my suggestions are just tweaking based on personal preference and past experience.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I'd recommend 2x570's for the gpu's. Better price/performance ratio than 580's and about 20% more performance than 560ti's... so they should last plenty long before you need to upgrade.
    Either now or later doesn't really matter.

Fractal R3 is an awesome case.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you are air cooling then I would also consider the Cooler Master HAF series. You can also add in a water cool system with them if you prefer. If you are going to be running a crossfire system you may want to consider more fans or water cooling. Also with that processor I would definately buy a non-factory CPU cooler. Linked one to consider below.

Case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119225

CPU cooler:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233032

Do not forget to calculate in the cost of the operating system also. Windows 7 64 bit is around $100 USD not sure what it is down under. Otherwise your system seems solid.

I will always recommend an aftermarket heatsink however the Noctua listed is in now way needed if your not overclocking. Corsair A70 Coolermaster 212 etc would be more than enough. Now i say this because your considering SLI heat generation would be increased generally so having a bit extra on cooling for every part is a wonderful idea. The hard drive listed is quite fine 7200rpm is the standard HDD. In your budget 2x580's would be monsterous so would 2x6970's especially if ur thinking about multi display.

Deleted

Or

Depending on if you want an SSD/better cooler.

I'd probably start of with a 580 and whenever that doesn't cut it you can add another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, it's been a few days since I made the post (real life getting in way etc), and I want to thank you all for the input. I've just about finished up my entire build and wanted to post it here just to double check if was fine, and ready to order.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    MB: [Z68] ASUS P8Z68-V Pro ATX
    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 580
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II
    PSU: Corsair Professional HX850 850W 80 PLUS Gold
    CPUHS: Noctua NH-D14
    CASE: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Case

The main question is will the Noctua fit in the R3?, otherwise what smaller Heatsink would you recomend?

Other than that, I'm happy with what I've come up with here for my comp on paper. All up, it's looking at around $1,742.09 with delivery. Not including monitor there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjal View Post
    Ok, it's been a few days since I made the post (real life getting in way etc), and I want to thank you all for the input. I've just about finished up my entire build and wanted to post it here just to double check if was fine, and ready to order.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    MB: [Z68] ASUS P8Z68-V Pro ATX
    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 580
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II
    PSU: Corsair Professional HX850 850W 80 PLUS Gold
    CPUHS: Noctua NH-D14
    CASE: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Case

The main question is will the Noctua fit in the R3?, otherwise what smaller Heatsink would you recomend?

Other than that, I'm happy with what I've come up with here for my comp on paper. All up, it's looking at around $1,742.09 with delivery. Not including monitor there.
    Yea it'll fit fine.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Yea it'll fit fine.
    Thanks, will start ordering away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjal View Post
    I have a Noctua NH-D14 in my Define and it fits more than well.
    You are likely going to run into problems if you are using the non-LP (Low profile) version of the Vengeance-RAM. I don't know why people recommend them. They bring more hassle than they are worth for no performance boost over, say, XMS3.

Build looks good and well-balanced.

I'd also recommend you a better monitor. Spending that much on a rig to cheap out on monitor with a TN-panel is a bit 'eh'. While it will certainly look better than with a budget-build, it's still settling for less. See if you can't find an inexpensive VA-panel. Preferably PVA.