Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's also a pretty detailed description of the ACs on the character creation page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldurok View Post
    Well, thought I'd chime in here with my thought on how this could work out:

For levels 10-15 (or w/e works best), you can change AC's by doing one fairly simple quest.

After that, you can only change AC's at levels 20, 30, 40, or 50. Doing so requires you complete a series of quests (more challenging at each level).

At level 50, starting the first quest makes you unable to change your gear until you either complete the series or choose to cancel the series. Cancelling will require you to start over with the first quest. The final quest in the series will remove all of your current gear, but reward you with gear that is basically equivalent to what a fresh level 50 of the new AC would typically have.

The first quest in the series (at level 50) will have a cooldown of say 1 month (or week or w/e), so you can't just keep switching all the time.

Now you can switch AC's, but you better really want to, as you'll be sacrificing whatever gear you use to get through the quests, and won't be able to change back for a while. Sure, some people could get around this by finding some adequate gear that's not as good as their main gear to use to sacrifice, but it will also make completing the quests longer and/or harder.

I think it fits a bit in a role-playing aspect, too. With the WoW comparison: a warrior decides he wants to become a priest. He can't just pay someone to wave a wand a make him a priest, he has to complete a series of challenges and sacrifice his armor and weapons in order to become a priest.
    This reminds me of EQ. I miss that game...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Here's another way to think about it.

On the one hand, you have 8 different storylines: Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Trooper, etc.

On the other hand, you have 16 different classes: Jedi Guardian, Jedi Sentinel, Jedi Sage, Jedi Shadow, Vanguard, Commando, etc.

It just so happens that the SWTOR devs have decided to use terminology different from what most WoW players are used to. In WoW terms: at level 1 you choose your story; at level 10 you choose you class.

In the same way that a WoW priest knows he'll never be able to tank when he chose to be a priest, a Jedi Shadow knows he'll never be able to heal when he chose to be a Shadow. It's tough to be upset as a Sith Marauder that can't tank, because same as a rogue in WoW, you knew you'd never be able to tank when you chose your advanced class; you ceased being a Sith Warrior and chose to become a Sith Marauder instead... there's no going back from that.

TL;DR
    - If you want to be a pure dpser: roll a WoW rogue // roll a Sith Marauder.
    - If you want to be able to one day choose between tanking and dpsing with a click of a button: roll a WoW warrior // roll a Sith Assassin.
    - If you want to be able to one day choose between healing and dpsing with a click of a button: roll a WoW shaman // roll a Sith Sorcerer.
    - If you want to be able to one day choose between tanking, dpsing AND healing with a click of a button: roll a WoW druid // close SWTOR, open WoW, roll a druid. SWTOR doesn't have druids.

---------- Post added 2011-10-20 at 12:25 AM ----------

Also, the latest iteration of the thread discussing it on the official SWTOR forums, including a poll on the issue, can be found here:

Should we be able to change our Advanced Class?

I recommend taking a moment to read up on what exactly the discussion entails as laid out by devs and forum-goers alike, found in the first post of the above link.

---------- Post added 2011-10-20 at 12:59 AM ----------

My suggested solution:

How about giving players a practical demonstration of what the choice they're making when picking an AC? When you go to choose your AC your trainer takes you into a sparring ring of some sort. Round 1 you get all the abilities that a level 10 (let's use Inquisitor as an example) Sorcerer would get, and you duel. Round 2 you get all the abilities that a level 10 Assassin would get and duel again. You have as many rounds as you want, switching between the two ACs to get a feel for each one, analyze each one's skill trees and decide which you like best.

When you leave the training scenario you make a final choice between the two ACs, and that choice is now permanent for the life of the character.
    Last edited by GarGar; 2011-10-20 at 05:27 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    The RIFT soul system was interesting to me for a little bit, but then I saw the terrible difficulty they were having balancing the souls. Every class forum I went to had people complaining because every patch seemed just ping-pong around which builds were top dps. At end game there would be 1 maybe 2 viable dps builds the rest would just be too poor and because anyone could just use the top builds, everyone was expected to do so.

I don't want that to happen to swtor.
    But it will. that's the nature of balance. there's none. And with strict ACs that would be the PAIN for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    No Im not, there are 8 class stories 4 on empire and 4 on republic, however the classes are mirrors. So if you roll a Sith Assassin AC on empire and you want to play that corresponding republic class to see the story you could roll a Jedi Sage, thus you have 1 of each AC and have seen both stories.

Get it?
    1. Classes are NOT mirrors. I can't be a republic sniper, I can't be an imperial gunslinger. I can't put my enemies on fire or dual weld blasters being a republic trooper. I can't blast my enemies with a heavy cannon being a bounty hunter. The list goes on and on. Jedi Sage =/= Sith Sorcerer. Every Class is DIFFERENT gameplay-wise.
    2. Well, no need for p.2, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    I think it's better they don't try to appease the whims of every single player otherwise the game as a whole could become 'watered-down' and convoluted. I doubt every single person out there will enjoy this game and some people are probably better off not playing.
    Majority rules. We will see who's in majority about AC change. My prediction stands.

Whatever they decide initially, we'll be able to switch between ACs eventually. It might be weeks, it might be years. Given how much back and forth the devs have done on this issue already, I'd wager we'll see it within 6-12 months of launch.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres."

10+ Year Old Account
    Il'd prefer no-cooldown, low cost AC changes.Min-Maxing will happen, and I'ld rather not get benched because AC A does 2 more dps than AC B an I chose B
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

As for my opinion, I've changed it from freely switching to locked completely. Toons should be unique and the ACs offer enough diversity for my tastes.

---------- Post added 2011-10-20 at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Il'd prefer no-cooldown, low cost AC changes.Min-Maxing will happen, and I'ld rather not get benched because AC A does 2 more dps than AC B an I chose B
    And that's one reason why we'll see it in game. Devs can's nor shouldn't adjust specs constantly, but they'll have to make sure no one is getting benched because his toon isn't competitive. Non-locked ACs is a simple, if incomplete, solution.

Also, the expectation of gamers today is to have more flexibility. Too many players will start burning out, and developers will see this as a way to offer new types of game play without having to develop new content.

I just hope that BW takes years before caving on this issue because the bell can't be unrung.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres."

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    1. Classes are NOT mirrors. I can't be a republic sniper, I can't be an imperial gunslinger. I can't put my enemies on fire or dual weld blasters being a republic trooper. I can't blast my enemies with a heavy cannon being a bounty hunter. The list goes on and on. Jedi Sage =/= Sith Sorcerer. Every Class is DIFFERENT gameplay-wise.
    A Sage and a Sorcerer are basically the same, as are a Shadow and an Assassin. Their spells may be called different things and have different animations, but they do the very same things.

Personally, I really, really don't care either way. I don't see why people have to get up in arms about everything.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeerid View Post
    They already have that. The quest guy tells you which AC does which (You don't have to chose at that moment either) and you can look in the Codex for a more in depth description of them.
    Having experienced it, its just not the same as "Here, actually test what they feel like".
    But I knew what I wanted from the start, so it didn't effect me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I'd rather not get benched because a mage does 2 more DPS than a warlock and I chose a warlock.

Same thing, but you still have to reroll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post
    Did you not read his question? No one asked anything about dual spec.
    An AC change would require respecing though which is why he brought it up. I believe his line of thought it, since BW said no to duel-specs, and an AC change would require you to respec, than no AC changes. So while it is a disfferent issue, they are not totaly unreleated.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

I've been playing a tank in WoW. I have enjoyed it a lot. However, the problem I have, is that I am not the guild's main tank, therefore on certain fights, I have to fill a Damage Dealing role. I hate playing melee DPS. My dream has always been to be able to play a Tank and switch to a Ranged DPS specialization to do damage.

Yes, I could have rolled a Druid, and I did, but I couldn't stand Moonkin form, and I didn't like Bear tanking at all.

Then I heard in SW:ToR that Troopers could tank, not only tank, but tank at range. I was awestruck. Holy shit, this isn't possible. Not only do I get to be a Tank but I get to be at range at the same time? Then I thought about how when I wanted to deal damage I would be able to just switch to Damage Dealing and be a ranged class.

I saw the Commando, and the big guns they used, and that is what I wanted to be.

Then I found out they are two different AC's.

Then I found out that you can't freely switch between AC's.

So I thought about it for a bit, how much of the game requires two tanks? Operations? Pretty much it.

So I'm forced to make a choice. Continue being that reliable second tank for my guild, or play the AC that I really would like to play.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tanking, and I would still like to do it, but I also enjoy big ass guns, blowing shit up, etc etc.

And since Operations are about the only thing that will require two tanks, I'd rather not choose an AC that will force me into a DPS role that I really don't get the maximum enjoyment out of for the majority of the game.

My entire WoW guild is moving to SW:ToR when it comes out, and now we have to find a second tank, because at this point in time I am going Commando.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    But it will. that's the nature of balance. there's none. And with strict ACs that would be the PAIN for the players.

Majority rules. We will see who's in majority about AC change. My prediction stands.
    No, they ARE mirrors. A Smuggler Gunslinger plays the exact same as an Imperial Agent Sniper. A Jedi Consular Sage plays exactly the same as a Jedi Consular Sorcerer. The only difference in the classes are different names for the spells and animations. They all play exactly the same

JK - SW
    Troop - BH
    Smug - Imp Agent
    JC - SI

NO yuo will not be able to switch your AC, ever. I've posted this example before, but its good so here it is again.

Lets say that in WoW, mages and warlocks started as the same class. Lets say they started as sorcerors instead. At level 10, you get to make the decision to become a mage or a lock. At that point, you are no longer a sorc, you are now a mage or a lock. You CAN respec from fire mage to frost mage, but you cannot respec from mage to warlock. They are different classes.

Its the same in SWTOR. When you choose your AC, that becomes your new class.

Hi I plan to raid as healer in this game, jedi consular is the best I see, however, can i "reset" my build while lvling not the AC, but my current talent points, so can have abit more dps orientated one for lvling then switch to full healer mode at 50?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Hi I plan to raid as healer in this game, jedi consular is the best I see, however, can i "reset" my build while lvling not the AC, but my current talent points, so can have abit more dps orientated one for lvling then switch to full healer mode at 50?
    I'm quite sure they they will allow respecs within your AC freely. When i say freely I don't mean for free, but at a low or escalating charge or they'll add dual spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post
    I've been playing a tank in WoW. I have enjoyed it a lot. However, the problem I have, is that I am not the guild's main tank, therefore on certain fights, I have to fill a Damage Dealing role. I hate playing melee DPS. My dream has always been to be able to play a Tank and switch to a Ranged DPS specialization to do damage.

Yes, I could have rolled a Druid, and I did, but I couldn't stand Moonkin form, and I didn't like Bear tanking at all.

Then I heard in SW:ToR that Troopers could tank, not only tank, but tank at range. I was awestruck. Holy shit, this isn't possible. Not only do I get to be a Tank but I get to be at range at the same time? Then I thought about how when I wanted to deal damage I would be able to just switch to Damage Dealing and be a ranged class.

I saw the Commando, and the big guns they used, and that is what I wanted to be.

Then I found out they are two different AC's.

Then I found out that you can't freely switch between AC's.

So I thought about it for a bit, how much of the game requires two tanks? Operations? Pretty much it.

So I'm forced to make a choice. Continue being that reliable second tank for my guild, or play the AC that I really would like to play.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tanking, and I would still like to do it, but I also enjoy big ass guns, blowing shit up, etc etc.

And since Operations are about the only thing that will require two tanks, I'd rather not choose an AC that will force me into a DPS role that I really don't get the maximum enjoyment out of for the majority of the game.

My entire WoW guild is moving to SW:ToR when it comes out, and now we have to find a second tank, because at this point in time I am going Commando.
    This is kind of just the situation that comes with most games. Not every class can fill every role, so eventually everyone has to make a choice.
    However, the Trooper Vanguard (The AC with Tanking) does have dps trees. Obviously it will have different abilities than a DPS Commando but you can still be ranged and the Vanguard does have some cool abilities too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Yes, they have already stated that respecing your skill trees for a credit fee in in the game. Just talk to an npc. At launch, they will not have dual-spec capabilities. So you will not be able to be out in the world and swap your spec from healing to dps. However anytime you want to pay for the change you will be able to by just going to the town with the npc. So yes you can level with a dps build and then swap to healing. That said, with companions you will be able to level effectively while healing specced so you may find that there is no need to level a different spec than you want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    NO yuo will not be able to switch your AC, ever. I've posted this example before, but its good so here it is again.

Lets say that in WoW, mages and warlocks started as the same class. Lets say they started as sorcerors instead. At level 10, you get to make the decision to become a mage or a lock. At that point, you are no longer a sorc, you are now a mage or a lock. You CAN respec from fire mage to frost mage, but you cannot respec from mage to warlock. They are different classes.

Its the same in SWTOR. When you choose your AC, that becomes your new class.
    While I agree, and I really wish this was so, they said a few months ago that they had implemented an AC change system in one of the beta builds and were testing it. However, they have not publicly made any decision one way or another on whether they would be allowing it anytime soon or ever. Only that they're considering all their options.

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    While I agree, and I really wish this was so, they said a few months ago that they had implemented an AC change system in one of the beta builds and were testing it. However, they have not publicly made any decision one way or another on whether they would be allowing it anytime soon or ever. Only that they're considering all their options.
    ^^This is where they are. Also I asked Stephen Reid yesterday if there had been any updates on the topic and he said no. (As in no updates not no AC switching)