Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I'll add a question then: what makes a good top champion? Isn't not relying on blue one of the factors? Swain needs it quite a bit from my experience.
    The only real thing your top champion needs is laning power. The ability to farm, harass and escape sticky situations well. Other factors depend on team composition but if you have good laning you're fairly safe on your pick. It's why you can (though not recommended) use a Corki, Caitlyn or Graves top, because they have escapes.

Morgana has a godly safe laning and so does Swain. There's also Teemo (who counters most melee bruisers hard) and Kayle, which is a monster at any stage of the game if you can kite with her.

And of course Kennen and Vlad because no one can move them from lane played right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerOKami View Post
    The only real thing your top champion needs is laning power. The ability to farm, harass and escape sticky situations well. Other factors depend on team composition but if you have good laning you're fairly safe on your pick. It's why you can (though not recommended) use a Corki, Caitlyn or Graves top, because they have escapes.

Morgana has a godly safe laning and so does Swain. There's also Teemo (who counters most melee bruisers hard) and Kayle, which is a monster at any stage of the game if you can kite with her.

And of course Kennen and Vlad because no one can move them from lane played right.
    Actually i use Wukong against Teemo up top, and i tend to dominate the Teemo with my harrass just because Teemo's soo squishy. As long as he misses his blind on me with the use of my decoy, he's going to take a beating of around 1/2 of his hp early game. Or maybe the Teemo's i lane against are quite bad.

Naw Teemo is super squishy but you have to time your blind right. A good melee with a gap closer with good range can win vs a Teemo that can't time his dart any day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Swain. Make all the Dariuses cry.

Alternatively, Yorick.
    After watching Swain vs Darius a few times, I have to say that Darius actually beats Swain. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but that's just how it usually works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    After watching Swain vs Darius a few times, I have to say that Darius actually beats Swain. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but that's just how it usually works out.

Swain out ranges Darius' gap closer with every ability now. Only Swains AA's are lower range then his gap closer. So yes, Swain does counter him as long as you don't go full retard.

But it doesn't matter in the end because Darius is good champion design apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I think if darius gets onto swain, swain just kind of dies. Though I don't really understand how swain could get caught there. If he gets ganked sure, but otherwise it shouldn't really be that hard to keep the darius out of killing range.

so i bought fizz and have been learning to play top lane. Any good tips for the lane in general or some common champions i might see up there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    I think if darius gets onto swain, swain just kind of dies. Though I don't really understand how swain could get caught there. If he gets ganked sure, but otherwise it shouldn't really be that hard to keep the darius out of killing range.
    See? And that's where it goes wrong. A good Swain shouldn't let Darius anywhere near him. The moment he does take a step too close, he'll be E'ed + Q'ed and have a Nevermove waiting for him.

Huge dilemma over here...

I'm 700 IP away from hitting 6.3k and i'm thinking about buying an AP carry...i was thinking about Brand and Swain...

But i cant make my mind up. I know Swain is more like tanky AP but he has to go near his target in order to do some serious damage when his ulti is on. While Brand has the range which makes him more safe plus he has great burst...but he is squishy...

So which one? Any ideas? I know its up to personal preference but which would be better overall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernous View Post

I'm 700 IP away from hitting 6.3k and i'm thinking about buying an AP carry...i was thinking about Brand and Swain...

But i cant make my mind up. I know Swain is more like tanky AP but he has to go near his target in order to do some serious damage when his ulti is on. While Brand has the range which makes him more safe plus he has great burst...but he is squishy...

So which one? Any ideas? I know its up to personal preference but which would be better overall?
    I feel Swain is a bit stronger right now, but I personally prefer Brand. High damage, AOE, and it's incredibly fast to get off.

Deleted
    A good counterpick i've found against Darius would have to be Garen. Buy lots of health potions early game, combined with defensive masteries and runes to make you unbeatable early game along with your passive. ;D Really easy to harass and avoid damage that way because you can dish out much damage whereas you can actually stay in lane for quite some time. Mundo also makes for a great solo top in the same sense.

Deleted
    He's pretty bursty early on and since he is quite rare, not everyone knows how to fight him.
    I think this is a nice reason to get him for below 1.6k solo que, because not many people actually know who to pick against him, dont know when in the game he is strongest and dont even know his abilities well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernous View Post

I like Swain better myself. I just prefer his playstyle a bit more. They're both strong, but there's a few things to consider:

1) Swain can go top lane as well
    2) Swain is 4800 IP (iirc)
    3) Brand is stronger in terms of AoE
    4) Brand is stronger in terms of burst
    5) Swain is far tankier
    6) Swain is more reliant on Blue buff
    7) Cassiopeia has them both beat.

So TL;DR: get Cassiopeia.

j/k

I prefer Swain out of those two. Brand has more burst, but Swain can actually surprise people as to how tanky he is while doing good damage.
    Not to mention Swain has the best dance.

Deleted
    Vlad,ez,yorick or ahri?I know they can't be compared(as they fit different roles)but still I am torn between those 4 for a week or so.Having played with all of them,I can definitely tell I enjoy them equally :/ As far as what my champ roster,atm I got way too many ap but mid/top is the role I prefer the most afterall.I have lee and shyvana for jungle/solo top,doing pretty well with them,swain for mid/top,morgana 'n ryze for mid and alistar for support/jungle(I almost never play support though as one of my friends is dedicated to that role.)Now I am lvl 23 so not going in any ranked games anytime soon,so I am not in desperate need of 3-4 champs from every role.Would like to hear some of your opinions guys.Mainly,who do you find most satisfying and fullfiling in his/her specific role?
    Last edited by mmoc7d8151e4f7; 2012-06-25 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by That one guy View Post
    Vlad,ez,yorick or ahri?I know they can't be compared as they fit different roles but still I am torn between those 4 for a week or so.Having played with all of them I can definitely tell I enjoy them equally :/ As far as what my champ roster,atm I got way too many ap but mid/top is the role I prefer the most afterall.I have lee and shyvana for jungle/solo top,doing pretty well with them,swain for mid/top,morgana 'n ryze for mid and alistar for support/jungle(I almost never play support though as one of my friends is dedicated to that role.Now I am lvl 23 so not going in any ranked games anytime soon so I am not in desperate need of 3-4 champs from every role.Would like to hear some of your opinions guys.Mainly,who do you find most satisfying and fullfiling in his specific role?
    Punctuation. Use it. It'sbeyondirritating ifpeople just typelike theirheadfell in thetoilet. As for champions, I have no idea as I have them all 4 and like them all 4.

Punctuation isn't the main problem tbh, he should just use Enter more as the clogged-up text can be hard to read for some.

Anyway, Vladimir is a top/mid champion, Ezreal is mid/carry, Yorick is top lane and Ahri is mid. What it comes down to is who you like more, and what role you prefer. Vladimir and Ezreal are the most versatile, but Yorick is a very good top lane champion, Ahri is also really good in mid lane.

So just make a list of pros and cons and pick the one you like the most, considering you can't really compare them in any decent way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Yorick support can work as well.

Had a game as Morgana support just now. Fun stuff

15+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Yorick support can work as well.

Had a game as Morgana support just now. Fun stuff
    I can see Morgana b/c her Q alone makes her scary for engages.

However, Yorick is really just a kill lane like AD + Pantheon. Yorick really only belongs top as his solo lane game is incredibly strong. Besides, unless you're sharing CS w/ your carry (which is dumb), he's going to hit like a wet noodle and will only be good for ulting said carry.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I can see Morgana b/c her Q alone makes her scary for engages.

However, Yorick is really just a kill lane like AD + Pantheon. Yorick really only belongs top as his solo lane game is incredibly strong. Besides, unless you're sharing CS w/ your carry (which is dumb), he's going to hit like a wet noodle and will only be good for ulting said carry.
    I once played a Wukong support with a Vayne. Was supposed to be solo top, but some selfish fella decided to go Teemo and took the top lane. Oh well, it was a fun game indeed especially since i had exhaust on me, our harrass was so good that we easily zoned out the enemy after getting 2 double kills and 1 more kill by the 10min mark. In the end we ended the game quite early thankfully, if not i would have been a very weak Wukong late game.