Thread: Radeon HD 6950

Radeon HD 6950

After I installed my new motherboard / cpu, the card started to lag alot. Last night i went BWD10 and had graphics on low and still dropped down to 5 - 18fps durring combat, before I changed the MB / Cpu i had graphics set on Ultra and my fps was between 55 - 60fps in combat.

I've installed the newest drivers.
    Checked that the power cables are properly seated.
    Checked that the card itsefl is properly seated in the motherboard.
    Also tried to remove / reinstall the drivers, nothing seems to help

Does anyone have a clue about whats wrong?

Checked already if nothing is overheating? Fan working on the new graphics card for example?

What card you had before? Maybe the old drivers is messing up with the new card?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Allways had this card with this computer, everything worked fine untill I changed the motherboard / cpu

Oops, misread/thought graphics card vs motherboard.

Anyway... Overheating is still most likely issue, should check if the CPU runs at it's intended speed or is it slowing down when WoW is running. Could be there's something wrong with the heatsink installation. Do you have problems with any other games or just WoW?

Did you reinstall windows when swapping motherboard (Windows is not really happy about changing motherboard unless you do clean install, and can sometimes fail in spectacular and strange ways).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Have you checked to see if it is using the on-board graphics of the i5 instead of the 6950?

Yes I reinstalled windows when I swapped motherboard, and the cpu seems to be runing fine it's on 28c atm. Just checked the MB and it says 128c :O Not sure if its the thermal armor which is causing it or? Incase you wonder its a Asus Sabertooth.

128c is impossible. The sensor is wrong.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    First, make sure all of your RAM is seated properly. Second, goto the asus website and make sure you install all the newest drivers. Also make sure you install the AsusUpdate tool and update your BIOS to the most up-to-date version. Make sure you also goto the ATI website and download the newest drivers & catalyst profiles.

From there you will want to go into the BIOS and load all the default settings, and reboot.
    You may also want to try to delete the config.wtf file & cache in your wow folder.

I'm currently running pretty much the same setup as you.
    ASUS Sabertooth X58
    OC-Z 12gb RAM @1600mhz
    Intel i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooler
    VisionTek Radeon HD 6950 modded with the ASUS 6970 BIOS

I went to the asus website but I couldn't find the Update tool, could you provide a link for it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazen View Post
    I went to the asus website but I couldn't find the Update tool, could you provide a link for it?
    Arn't they on AMD/ATI's website?

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazen View Post
    Yes I reinstalled windows when I swapped motherboard, and the cpu seems to be runing fine it's on 28c atm. Just checked the MB and it says 128c :O Not sure if its the thermal armor which is causing it or? Incase you wonder its a Asus Sabertooth.
    I hope that 128 c is a faulty reading, because that is high and probably the problem. If it's the thermal armor design I'm thinking of the have to use the fan included with the board to move air under the plate, or have high air flow in the case. Have you checked reviews of the board.

Edit: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20972
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-10-20 at 12:27 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    To download AsusUpdate, you only need to look through all the downloads available from your mobo. I think it is listed under the Chipset downloads