10+ Year Old Account

New CPU, need advice.

Hello everyone!

I'm not an expert in PC devices so please I'm need of some tips from you.
    I'm looking for a new CPU as I feel my current one is getting old and worse. I currently have AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.00GHz

I've been browsing some CPUs and I came across this one: AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3,2 GHz
    If I'm correct, when its says X4, it means that there are 4 cores running in 3.2GHz, or? If it is, then this one should be atleast a good one, and more than twice the better than my current one. And this one also seems to be cheaper than other CPUs.

As said, I could need your tips in what CPUs I should be lookin for. My budget is (max) around 1500kr (150 Euros)

The new bulldozer chips work in the same socket as your phenom II X2, so you could shoot for one of those. Maybe the FX-6100 or the FX-4100 for your budget.

Edit: Although this depends on your motherboard, so BD might not be compatible.
    Last edited by Rorzz; 2011-10-19 at 01:32 PM. Reason: probably might not :/

x4 does indeed mean quad-core.
    What motherboard do you have? Not all AMD-motherboard does support Phenom II x4s

---------- Post added 2011-10-19 at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rorzz View Post
    The new bulldozer chips work in the same socket as your phenom II X2, so you could shoot for one of those. Maybe the FX-6100 or the FX-4100 for your budget.
    Not likely.

Can't really count 4 cores being at least twice as good as 2 cores, since games hardly use more than 1-2 anyway.

Also need to know what exactly is your motherboard. Typical problem is that cheap-ass motherboards only supports processors up to 95W while the x4 955 requires 125W board.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    x4 does indeed mean quad-core.
    What motherboard do you have? Not all AMD-motherboard does support Phenom II x4s

---------- Post added 2011-10-19 at 03:28 PM ----------

Not likely.
    Hmmm, I dont know!
    But if it helps, my Pc is an Acer Aspire M5300

You know how where to look for my motherboard?

A quad core isn't "twice" as good as dual core.. most everyday applications have a hard time using 4 cores. When it comes to games it's better, but only like 20% better usually, not 100%... unless the game is really good at using cores beyond 2, which most aren't.
    Upgrading to a phenom II x4 would help some, and getting an aftermarket cpu cooler so you can overclock would help more...
    But you're best off switching to intel if you want it to last. The phenom II architecture is 3 years old now and the phenom II x4 won't really solve your problem.
    Getting an i5-2500k, or even an i3-2100, would add a ton more performance to your system... but you'd have to replace your motherboard too.

The bulldozer cpu's are in the AM3+ socket. Phenom II's are socket AM3, but also work in AM2+/AM3+. It's doubtful he has an AM3+ mobo if his system is "old".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    But you're best off switching to intel if you want it to last. The phenom II architecture is 3 years old now and the phenom II x4 won't really solve your problem.
    Getting an i5-2500k, or even an i3-2100, would add a ton more performance to your system... but you'd have to replace your motherboard too.
    The 2500K is over his budget by 19.27%.
    The i3-2100 would take up 69.73% of his budget.

Not counting motherboards.

The Phenom II x4 aren't bad at all, and will do him very great justice in most games. The Sandy Bridge is obviously better, and would do him even better, but they are out of his budget.

What's the model of your motherboard? Your budged is too low to upgrade imo because cheap motherboards aren't worth the buy if you ask me. If your motherboard support it, you might as well try to unlock your current CPU to 3 or 4 cores, about half of the Phenom X2 are X4 with 2 cores disabled.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The 2500K is over his budget by 19.27%.
    The i3-2100 would take up 69.73% of his budget.

Not counting motherboards.

The Phenom II x4 aren't bad at all, and will do him very great justice in most games. The Sandy Bridge is obviously better, and would do him even better, but they are out of his budget.
    True, just seems like such a waste upgrading a 3 year old chip to a better 3 year old chip.
    If it was me I'd just save the money until I could afford getting an upgrade that would last longer.
    He could get an i3-2100 + motherboard just slightly over his budget.
    http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=626705
    http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=628781

It'd cost a bit more to get a better motherboard but even the cheap one is probably not worse than his current one lol.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont want to raise my budget since I'm already buying the GFX 560ti which is around 2000kr (200euros)
    Already selling my Xbox to even get this money so do not tell me to get a job, I'm 16.

EDIT: Also need to buy my BF3 and gamecard, and perhaps the new AC:Revelations :S
    Last edited by Alwek; 2011-10-19 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwek View Post
    I dont want to raise my budget since I'm already buying the GFX 560ti which is around 2000kr (200euros)
    Already selling my Xbox to even get this money so do not tell me to get a job, I'm 16.
    I've never been without a job since I was 12 >_>

The Bulldozer requires a AM3+ socket and most likely a Bios update which obviously would be beyond his scope of expertise to say the least! Besides the BD CPUs are lackluster at best as of now and he would be much better off going the cheaper upgraded phenom II route IMO!

If I were you I would save you money and wait til Intel's Ivy Bridge came out, then you could buy a Sandy Bridge i3, i5 or i7 & motherboard combo for pennies on the dollar or drop a lil more on what will be incredible performance on a new Ivy Bridge & MB combo! Either of which will far outperform anything AMD has to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    The Bulldozer requires a AM3+ socket and most likely a Bios update which obviously would be beyond his scope of expertise to say the least! Besides the BD CPUs are lackluster at best as of now and he would be much better off going the cheaper upgraded phenom II route IMO!

If I were you I would save you money and wait til Intel's Ivy Bridge came out, then you could buy a Sandy Bridge i3, i5 or i7 & motherboard combo for pennies on the dollar or drop a lil more on what will be incredible performance on a new Ivy Bridge & MB combo! Either of which will far outperform anything AMD has to offer!
    Sandy bridge prices won't drop to pennies on the dollar.
    They've been steadily dropping over time and we probably won't see a huge drop when ivy bridge comes out, since they're already cheaper than the new ivy bridge cpu's will probably be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwek View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm not an expert in PC devices so please I'm need of some tips from you.
    I'm looking for a new CPU as I feel my current one is getting old and worse. I currently have AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.00GHz

I've been browsing some CPUs and I came across this one: AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3,2 GHz
    If I'm correct, when its says X4, it means that there are 4 cores running in 3.2GHz, or? If it is, then this one should be atleast a good one, and more than twice the better than my current one. And this one also seems to be cheaper than other CPUs.

As said, I could need your tips in what CPUs I should be lookin for. My budget is (max) around 1500kr (150 Euros)
    To be honest when looking at a possible upgrade to a white box you should ask the MFD and not waste your time here. Go to the Acer site and put in your SNID in the product search. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers...rade/related/1 You can also call, email or chat with Acer http://acer.custhelp.com/app/utils/l...0cpu%20upgrade, Find your model # and SNID first it should be on the sticker located on the back of the case. White boxes sometimes use more than one motherboard supplier and it is impossible for anyone on the forum to tell you exactly what your system is capable of upgrading to unless they can search your SNID.
    Last edited by Auralian; 2011-10-19 at 05:54 PM. Reason: removed added characters from stupid Tablet software glitch