Runes of Magic, any good?

Alright, folks.

I still play WoW from time to time, but I'm looking for something fresh to use with my soon-to-exist shiny new glorious desktop (on a tight budget, but whatever, it's better than my ancient Macbook Pro).

I'm really liking what I see from RoM. Can any current/former players give me some opinions on the game?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ftS...ayer_embedded#

From what I have read, people who purchase stuff from the store have a very big advantage over people who don't pay.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-10-20 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ftS...ayer_embedded#

From what I have read, people who purchase stuff from the store have a very big advantage over people who don't pay.
    Hmmm, well I guess having an item shop is a given in any F2P MMO... as long as it isn't terribly expensive, I wouldn't mind that much if I liked the game enough.

And thanks for the link, but MMOHut doesn't really do a "review," more of showing off some gameplay for about 10 minutes of himself running around the starter zone. I'm looking for some more personal feedback on the game as a whole -- the community, PvP, raiding, quests, the world itself, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Timun View Post
    Hmmm, well I guess having an item shop is a given in any F2P MMO... as long as it isn't terribly expensive, I wouldn't mind that much if I liked the game enough.

And thanks for the link, but MMOHut doesn't really do a "review," more of showing off some gameplay for about 10 minutes of himself running around the starter zone. I'm looking for some more personal feedback on the game as a whole -- the community, PvP, raiding, quests, the world itself, etc.
    Oh okay. Sorry about that. I just normally watch his videos because he does mainly F2P games and I like to see how the game is before I try them. I actually been looking at this game myself. I'll probably just download it an try it. Heck, if I don't like it, not like I wasted any money. =D
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-10-20 at 01:39 AM.

I played for quite a while around the time when it first came out. First f2p I played at the time but I had a great time.

Yea there is a cash shop but its honestly pretty cheap compared to alot of other f2ps and there are actually alot of ways around spending money on the game. If you do daily quests you get tokens which you can guy items from the cash shop with. Also you can buy diamonds (which are CS currency) and CS from the AH with gold which is pretty easy to make. I spent maybe 20 bucks on the CS over 7 months or so of playing and was doing all raid/pve content and had some good gear. I remember at the time the hardest dungeon was 'treasure trove' and it was brutal....took hours and hours to clear and the hardest raid was the ant queen and they were both hard as shit...you needed a dam good group and decked out tanks/healers. No LFG or anything just some good ol fashion getting a group of guild mates together and going at it. And for the ant queen you pretty much had to make a day out of it lol. I think only 1-2 guilds had killed it at the time.

The community is good. I think mostly because its small knit, when I stoped playing there was 4-5 servers in the US if I remember right.

I havent played in probably 2+ years so I'm sure alot has changed but like I said had some good times playing. I'd definitely recommended it. You probably won't find a better f2p.
    Last edited by Konics; 2011-10-20 at 01:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xema-Do View Post
    Liking kill lv 20 when 85. See no PVP then can going do what PVP making. No 40, No 60, can not finding, but 20 all here and there, so sigh, then 20 die

It's way too close to WoW, even the same genre. I was tired of WoW, and RoM didn't help much, although they do have extra features, like customizable player housing (size, NPC's, decorations) and guild halls (also customizable and upgradable). If I wasn't bored from WoW so badly, I would instantly take to this game.

For the Cash Shop, I believe you can (or could) work really hard in-game to get gold, then trade your gold for someone elses real-money currency (diamonds, rubys or something like that).

The music though has a beautiful theme all throughout. This is it's strongest point (to me). Like:

edit:
    It's free to download, free to play, give it a shot.
    Some stores (like my local retailers) sell a boxed version for $20. As far as I can tell you don't get anything special with it, other than a DVD-ROM. I chose to download it for free though from their website.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-20 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konics View Post
    I played for quite a while around the time when it first came out. First f2p I played at the time but I had a great time.

Yea there is a cash shop but its honestly pretty cheap compared to alot of other f2ps and there are actually alot of ways around spending money on the game. If you do daily quests you get tokens which you can guy items from the cash shop with. Also you can buy diamonds (which are CS currency) and CS from the AH with gold which is pretty easy to make. I spent maybe 20 bucks on the CS over 7 months or so of playing and was doing all raid/pve content and had some good gear. I remember at the time the hardest dungeon was 'treasure trove' and it was brutal....took hours and hours to clear and the hardest raid was the ant queen and they were both hard as shit...you needed a dam good group and decked out tanks/healers. No LFG or anything just some good ol fashion getting a group of guild mates together and going at it. And for the ant queen you pretty much had to make a day out of it lol. I think only 1-2 guilds had killed it at the time.

The community is good. I think mostly because its small knit, when I stoped playing there was 4-5 servers in the US if I remember right.

I havent played in probably 2+ years so I'm sure alot has changed but like I said had some good times playing. I'd definitely recommended it. You probably won't find a better f2p.
    Thanks for the informative response!

The bolded text worries me... a lot. I don't want to migrate to a game that's on its last legs, or is pretty much dead.

---------- Post added 2011-10-19 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    It's way too close to WoW, even the same genre. I was tired of WoW, and RoM didn't help much, although they do have extra features, like customizable player housing (size, NPC's, decorations) and guild halls (also customizable and upgradable). If I wasn't bored from WoW so badly, I would instantly take to this game.

For the Cash Shop, I believe you can (or could) work really hard in-game to get gold, then trade your gold for someone elses real-money currency (diamonds, rubys or something like that).

The music though has a beautiful theme all throughout. This is it's strongest point (to me). Like:

edit:
    It's free to download, free to play, give it a shot.
    Some stores (like my local retailers) sell a boxed version for $20. As far as I can tell you don't get anything special with it, other than a DVD-ROM. I chose to download it for free though from their website.
    That sounds beautiful -- like a mixture of classic RuneScape (R.I.P) and EverQuest (I'd say R.I.P but it's still as alive as ever).

I just couldn't get into it, and i've tried 3 or 4 times now.

1 race (i think its 2 now) which means 1 starting zone (or 2)
    terrible lore
    aggravating questing
    imagine wow's dual spec, but having to relevel the entire spec you switch to
    completely dead zones - i leveled to 20+ several times, without seeing a single person
    really clunky UI (almost as bad and uninformative as CoH)
    combat and animations are amateurish
    talent system is way too indepth (im talking complicated for no other reason than to be complicated)
    100% disconnected character storyline - you have no idea why youre doing anything

one thing i did like was the 'find the npc/item' feature when clicking on a linked name in the quest log. only problem is, this can be easily outdone by them fixing up their minimap markers (quite atrocious as well)

anyways, these are my 2 cents, and im sure others will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennydabull View Post
    I just couldn't get into it, and i've tried 3 or 4 times now.

1 race (i think its 2 now) which means 1 starting zone (or 2)
    terrible lore
    aggravating questing
    imagine wow's dual spec, but having to relevel the entire spec you switch to
    completely dead zones - i leveled to 20+ several times, without seeing a single person
    really clunky UI (almost as bad and uninformative as CoH)
    combat and animations are amateurish
    talent system is way too indepth (im talking complicated for no other reason than to be complicated)
    100% disconnected character storyline - you have no idea why youre doing anything

one thing i did like was the 'find the npc/item' feature when clicking on a linked name in the quest log. only problem is, this can be easily outdone by them fixing up their minimap markers (quite atrocious as well)

anyways, these are my 2 cents, and im sure others will disagree.
    Thanks for the reply -- yeah, from what I've seen the animations look a bit amateurish compared to P2P games, and I've heard numerous times that the lore isn't worth a spare thought.

Thanks for the reply -- yeah, from what I've seen the animations look a bit amateurish compared to P2P games, and I've heard numerous times that the lore isn't worth a spare thought.
    Though I tried RoM for awhile (above), lately I've been playing Fallen Earth, which is also F2P now. I enjoy that as a nice alternative to dragon / sorcery fantasy, for what it's worth. Different genre though, post apocalyptic, machine guns etc. It also plays alot like WoW. It has it's own spin on things like every game does.

It seems to have less limitations for a F2P - inventory space and mounts in RoM cost real $$ for example. If you need Tolkien fantasy though, RoM is good.

Deleted
    I played from beta until late stage of Episode 2 and this game left bad taste in my mouth. You can get yourself to max level fast and storyline and zones are quite nice + awesome music BUT it wont help when you think about other flaws, witch this game have. If you want to enjoy end game content you have to use CS shop or farm 24h, because of stats. This game is extremly stats dependant. You can get yourself imba mana stones at level 1 and one shot almost every mob until verry late game. There are only few class combination viable, some of them are extremlt underpowered compred to other, back in the EP2 there were Mage/Priests everywhere, now i heard this "meta" switched them into usless and Rogue/Scout now are imba. Overall if you like to experience story/location/music by all means go play it, it will be fun for you, but if you want to be competitve prepere your wallet!

Thank you very much for the responses, everyone. I suppose due to the negativity directed towards the game, I'll continue my hunt for a F2P MMO that has the competitive raiding feel of WoW, but with a somewhat fresh feel (after having spent 5.5 years in Azeroth, it has grown stale).

Thank you very much for the responses, everyone. I suppose due to the negativity directed towards the game, I'll continue my hunt for a F2P MMO that has the competitive raiding feel of WoW, but with a somewhat fresh feel (after having spent 5.5 years in Azeroth, it has grown stale).
    If WoW is stale, then the best bet would be to switch genre's. Global Agenda (free) was a nice switch from WoW too .. more or less the same with mailboxes, AH's (think every major game has these now), but plays more like a FPS version of WoW, with an open world and the option to do instanced missions, PVP and stuff. It's a little heavy on graphics though and there is no option to change view distance to enhance performance (which probably wouldn't make sense in a FPS anyways), so on a machine a couple years old it can have graphics framerate issues.

Fallen Earth (free) was mentioned earlier. Very fun. Plays on older machines (on low).

Vindictus (free) is potentially nice if you routinely play with friends. I played it alone for awhile - neat physics - can throw dead bodies at enemies, and throw various objects you find. Solo play won't keep you coming back though.

Hmm theres a bunch more games but they are mostly fantasy medieval styles that I'm thinking of, and would be too similar to WoW anyways .. especially if you are thinking WoW is getting stale to you.

Among non-free games to switch from WoW fantasy:
    TOR and The Secret World are two upcoming games which could be refreshing for yourself if you are finding WoW stale. GW2 and Tera look nice also, but are more or less the same genre as WoW. Have to ask yourself what you want in a nice refreshing game. New gameplay/lore same genre, or totally new setting?
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-20 at 09:53 PM.