I want to play Aion

Hello all. I am interested in playing Aion. I was in the beta a little bit and i played 2 days of the week trial so obviously i have never given it the attention it deserves. Then again i never felt like the starting area and a low level character could really communicate to me how much this game has to offer me. So i please ask those who are long time fans tell me what hooks you? What is it that has inspired love for this game?

Some background info on myself:
    -I love MMORPGs
    -I was introduced to the genre by WoW
    -I dont play WoW
    -I am actively playing:
    Lotro (really like)
    Champions Online (really like)
    Fallen Earth
    Age of Conan
    Allods Online
    Global Agenda
    DragonNest

Two thing i love about MMORPGs:
    -Creating your own unique Avatar and story
    Two things i hate about MMORPGs:
    -"Dead end" feeling when you reach max level and no appearance tab feature

Aion is not a game i would recommend, at least from my experience, the combat system and controls are slow and clunky, the leveling is grindy and the interface (in my opinion) is absolutely terrible
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Thanks for the reply Shocktopuslol. You know i have heard before that the leveling is grindy and the interface is bad but i would like to know more about why exactly. Cause i feel Lotro is pretty "grindy". I play so much and am only level 54, it feels like i wont get to the level cap for months. But regardless i like my class, the environments(currently in Moria) are jaw dropping impressive, and the story is really interesting so i don't feel that "grindy" too much.

It's improved significantly over the past few years and is now, IMO where it should have been at launch. The grind is pretty much gone, save for a bit of it around 50 when you're kind of in between groups of quests, and they've added in more solo dungeons ect. to give you something to do. From what I've heard, the arena's they've added in (PvP and PvE) are both pretty fun. All in all, I'd recommend giving it a shot if you're interested (I wouldn't have shortly after beta, or even a year ago).

FYI I haven't played in about 3-4 months so I don't know what kind of stuff was added in 2.7 (the most recent patch) and how it's changed things (since they're not the best at nothing everything in their patches. 2.5 added a TON of leveling quests but I couldn't find that in any info elsewhere).

How in the world are you actively playing 7 MMOs; I had trouble fitting 1 in my schedule.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

That's encouraging to hear, thanks edgecrusherO0. I love MMORPGs cause of the whole playing with other people thing but im a quester and any solo content is more than fine with me. Solo Dungeons and more quests sound wonderful.

@Vizzle
    lol i know what you mean. I do not play all of them every day. I pick one and play and then turn off the computer. More often than not its usually Lotro or Champions Online that win out over the others but the others do help me not get tired of the first two.
    Plus they are all free to download and log in. =D

Deleted
    long story short, Aion is grindy because they have repeatable quests as their main leveling factor after level 20-ish.

sure, you get half a level from the quest, but it also takes 1 hour of grinding the same annoying little sprites for their wings or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    long story short, Aion is grindy because they have repeatable quests as their main leveling factor after level 20-ish.

sure, you get half a level from the quest, but it also takes 1 hour of grinding the same annoying little sprites for their wings or something along those lines.
    This was the case a year ago, but they have since drastically increased the number of quests. I easily got from my 30's through 50 on my templar without doing a repeatable quest more than once, and without even running a ton of dungeons. You just have to do the campaign quests, they're worth insane amounts of experience.

If you have tons of time to sink into doing tasks, it would work for you. I don't mean level grinding, but end game stuff like gathering for consumables, armorcrafting, weaponcrafting and such. If you want to be in the top tier level of players, prepare to do LOTS of work and spend a lot of time. It also helps you tons and may save you months of work if you have luck on your side.

Someone said combat was clunky but I didn't think it was that bad. But flight combat sucks no matter what way you look at it.

For myself, I quit a while ago because I couldn't take how much it was a chore to do things before I could have fun in the game. I liked to pvp but there are tons of things to do to obtain and maintain pvp readiness. Not to mention the entirety of faction and intrafaction mechanics were really really stupid. Server politics can fuck you over if you are on the wrong faction or in the wrong guild. Spent an assload of time and kinah to +15'd my bakarma spear, +10'd my pvp armor, gathering tons of shit for consumables to be used in pvp (food, potions, jellies, scrolls, shards). I also did a lot of pve, and my static group was server first in downing stormwing (not that it matters anyways since koreans did it waaay before us). And doing that fucking daily everyday to get the key for certain bosses in BT. For me, I only stuck on that long because I had good friends and a good guild to play with. I couldn't stand doing all these chores for so little reward gain in fun.

However, if you plan to play casual, you'll do fine as you stay out of server politics and do your own small things.

Hitting lvl 55 in Aion is small fries to the amount of other stuff you have to grind out in endgame.

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far =]

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    This was the case a year ago, but they have since drastically increased the number of quests. I easily got from my 30's through 50 on my templar without doing a repeatable quest more than once, and without even running a ton of dungeons. You just have to do the campaign quests, they're worth insane amounts of experience.
    This is the kind of things i want to hear. That there are quests to do, stories to get into about the world in Aion. And a consistent (if lengthy) road to the level cap. I can handle not getting to the level cap in 3 weeks. Im ok if it takes me months (as i feel it does with lotro lol) as long as i am entertained on the way.
    And edgecrusherO0 or anyone else, can i ask how frequently will PvP be thrust upon me, like it or not, while doing PvE content? I always hear people talking about how low levels are "ganked" by high levels.

Quote Originally Posted by fairymore View Post
    This is the kind of things i want to hear. That there are quests to do, stories to get into about the world in Aion. And a consistent (if lengthy) road to the level cap. I can handle not getting to the level cap in 3 weeks. Im ok if it takes me months (as i feel it does with lotro lol) as long as i am entertained on the way.
    And edgecrusherO0 or anyone else, can i ask how frequently will PvP be thrust upon me, like it or not, while doing PvE content? I always hear people talking about how low levels are "ganked" by high levels.
    The story...yeah. There are some interesting mini-stories, but overall I never found the story to be very good, although it is a bit more engaging than your usual MMO storylines.

As for PvP...it depends. If you avoid the abyss (which is entirely possible, but you miss out on a ton of quests and great loot as well as abyss points) you can avoid getting ganked a lot. Other than that, there are rifts (they came out before Rift) that let Asmo's into Elyos territory and vice versa, so you'll deal with some occasional gankage. Outside of rift events (which were somewhat common) though, there wasn't a whole lot of ganking going on though as far as I remember. That being said, when it does happen there is literally nothing you can do about it and there can be some massive camping.

I'm interested in trying out this game as well. Do lots of people still play? (Is it dying off?) How is endgame raiding/PvE in general? Is PvP fun?