Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Reported Sony to the Customer Agency

Here's my story about my issue with the Sony Vaio laptop. This story is not fictional and is all based on a true story. Beware, it's a long story.

TL : DR I'm mad.

Background info about the laptop

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium *–* CPU: Intel Core i5 M 520 2.40GHz (at 2400 MHz) *–* Memory usage: 4015 MB *–* Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 330M (1920x1080x32bit 59Hz)

I bought this laptop in april 2009, for 1 300:- euros in Gothenburg, Sweden. It was working okay and all. Though I did complain about the graphic card being a twat from the very beginning.

The issue

Today is october, 2011. My laptop's graphic card has been a dick the entire trip.

Most of you don't know it but; Sony has its own program where you download their own drivers and update your computer with. Since the Windows OS is an OEM you're pretty much fucked without it. Unless you wanna pay 300 euros for a new OS (I'll come back to that).

*My graphic card drivers were always crashing when I was expanding the Windows Media Player 10 window (when a film was on). I've had BSOD's multiple times with the code "BAD_POOL_CALLER". This happened >from start<

I had always been looking for new drivers for the graphic card. However, the latest drivers for my graphic card that Sony offered me was March 2010 (drivers type 187).

Wait a minute. Today is October 2011, and the latest drivers are March 2010? Yeah, I'm not buying it.

So I went to Nvidia's own homepage to see if they still were updating my GT 330M drivers.

They were.

So, Nvidia is updating my graphic card drivers to be compatible for the Battlefield 3 Beta and Sony hasn't given a shit about it since March 2010?

Yeah....so I decided to download the Nvidia's drivers for my graphic card. The issues I had before (read green * above) was not present with their current updated driver. (driver type 280)

However, now Windows Media Player 10 did not work at all immediately when you opened a film. Youtube crashed immediately when you went to fullscreen. Ingame (like WoW) was missing graphics. However I never got BSOD's which was a relief.

So Sony's drivers were fucking my computer up. The new Nvidia ones were doing that aswell.

I decided to contact Sony Vaio's support and explained that "Sony Vaio had out-updated drivers so I downloaded Nvidia ones and they were fucking up."

Sony told me that since it's an OEM Windows OS I can't download Nvidia ones.

Now I'm not a genius in computers so I did not know that you can't download other graphic card drivers from any other place than Sony's program when you have an OEM Windows (thats what Sony told me).

So again, Sony drivers are fucking up. And I can't download the real Nvidia ones........yeah fuck it I'm calling Sony.

I talked with some swedish guy working for Sony Vaio Customer Support. And well, here is the conversation;

Calling Sony Vaio Support (Conversation)

Me: Yes Hi. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that I bought april 2009 and still using it today. I have an issue with my graphic card drivers. Apparently, you cannot install Nvidia's own drivers from their homepage is that correct?

Sony: Yes, that is correct.

Me: And your own drivers are very out-dated since March 2010.....any plans on updating them?

Sony: No, we have no intention of updating the model's graphic card you are currently using.

Me: You do know right that you need to update your drivers because technology and graphic is expanding every day?

Sony: Yes but because your model is old and because we haven't found any problems with our current drivers, we still have no intention of updating them.

Me: Old? I bought this laptop april 2009, it's almost 2½ years. And your last updated drivers were updated 11 months after I bought my computer. Are you saying that I could only use my laptop for 11 months? And about the issues, I've had those drivers crashing when I tried expanding the Windows Media Player 10 window and I've received BSOD's with "BAD_POOL_CALLER" several times which indicates something's wrong with the drivers.

Sony: Sorry but still have no plans of updating an old graphic card and about those issues are new to me. The drivers work as they are intended, or else there would be new drivers for your computer.

Me: If they were working as intended, I doubt Nvidia would still update the drivers. Your drivers are the type 187. Nvidia are up to 280. It sounds to me that you're the lazy ones. If Nvidia still is updating it, you should aswell.

Sony: Well, if you don't find the drivers pleasing you, you can always go buy a new copy of Windows 7 and install Nvidia's or have the current drivers.

Here's where I raged with an attitude

Me: Excuse me? Are you telling me that I'm only able to use my Sony Vaio computer for 11 months because you do not want to update your nvidia drivers. And then if it does not pleases me, you want me to spend 300 euros on a new damn copy of Windows? I bought this laptop for 1300 euros. I expect it to last several years. Without any working drivers, my computer is pretty much dead in the future.

I didn't sign any contract where it stood that I only could update my computer in a very limited short time (11 months). If Nvidia is still updating (repeated this several times) so should you. This model is not old and it's clearly built to play Battlefield 3 (its between minimum and recommended setup).

Sony: Sorry, but there is not much more we can tell you. I gave you the options. It's pretty much up to you to do whatever you want.

I said "Thank you for your help" with big sarcasm and hung up.

Summarizing my rage

Sony is refusing to update my computer which is 2½ years old. The last update was 11 months after I bought the computer.

I did not expect to use a computer which crash and BSOD and fuck up because it's drivers are out-dated. And I can't do anything about it since it's Sony OEM Windows. The only choice I have is to buy a new copy of Windows if I wanna update the drivers and Sony doesn't give a shit. They want me to spend more money on a new laptop or something.

This is NOT acceptable. You do not buy a computer for 1300 euros and then they shut down the update (WITHOUT ANY NOTICE AT ALL YEAH THEY DIDNT EVEN FREAKING INFORM ME THAT THEY WERE STOP UPDATING THE DRIVERS THEMSELVES) for my computer which I'm using both for socially surfing and gaming.

I've phoned the Customer Agency and explained everything in this post and they said it's really weird and unacceptable behaviour and that I should recall them this monday (since I was phoning them 5 minutes before they were closing).

Just wanted to inform you about this and that you should never trust Vaio computers, they'll screw you over.

Have any comment on this shit? Go ahead. I'm reporting/suing Sony to the Customer Agency for fucking me over like this.

Sony did not fuck you over. The computer works fine with the old drivers, just not with new software. This is to be expected. Sony is not lying to you, they have their own drivers for a reason. ASUS is the same way. 2 and a half years is old for a laptop. Your lawsuit will not yield and success, and you will probably be fined. Vaio are no worse than any other laptops.

You said it yourself, you didn't sign any contract. Once you bought the laptop, it was yours as manufactured. Maybe you had a warranty that guaranteed it was free of defective hardware for x years, but there is no gurantee that the software will get updated, that it can support new technology, etc. You bought a laptop in 2009. You own the laptop. What happens after the purchase is not Sony's responsibility.

I am sorry that you are upset, but Sony is not in the wrong. They didn't get an attitude with you, their customer service gave you the facts as they stand. You got angry that Sony told you the truth. From your post their customer service reps seem very professional.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony is sucky in that way. I have a Vaio E-series with a Radeon HD 5650M and though they did eventually update the catalyst drivers, I did go the other route and just got my monthly Catalyst update through guru3d's forum, where someone always either made a "mobility fix for doom-branded laptops" or linked to the official (though well hidden) exectuable that in fact could update the driver on a Vaio. Now, yours have nvidia, so it may be harder to work around or be completely undoable, I don't know..

I think it's good that you do what you do, however, because GPU drivers eventually DO need an update due to new applications, and if sony want to be the middle-hand in this they better start doing something, or leave the mobility drivers to Nvidia.

What I am confused about is why after having problems when you first got it did you not do anything. It could very well be faulty hardware and you chose to do nothing about it.

There is a need for laptop manufacturers to either actively stay updated when they want to be boss, or leave that business the fuck alone. I'm glad to hear you're taking action, since it's pretty obvious Sony should have nothing to do with it.

Here's hoping something does happen.

It's an unfortunate call on the choice of the designers of their (and some other manufacturers') computers that they use their own GPU PCB layouts and BIOSes. It means you are indeed stuck with their drivers. Which is pretty high on the reason I don't own a laptop... I know many manufacturers use recommended layouts and many (if not most) allow you to use NVIDIA drivers, but I don't feel like getting screwed by the manufacturer.

In this case though, customer service did what they could. They're limited by what the technical designers pull out of their asses.

Though (and I know this is close to brand-bashing, but come on, this company kinda deserves it) for how little Sony seems to care about how they conduct their business so long as they make money, I'd have been glad for that 11 months of updates.
    Super casual.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Palmolive.... it sucks that this is happening to you, but before you think too much about it, your laptop may be able to run BF3, but I will tell you now, those specs are no where near what would really run BF3 well, especially at a staggering resolution like 1920x1080 for only a GT330M. You probably would have hated your gaming experience anyways.

It is also issues like you are having that are part of why we don't really suggest anyone get a laptop, particularly for gaming, and this example is a prime one and is truly unfortunate, I hope you get some kind of reimbursement or something! Good luck!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I am sorry that you are upset, but Sony is not in the wrong. They didn't get an attitude with you, their customer service gave you the facts as they stand. You got angry that Sony told you the truth. From your post their customer service reps seem very professional.
    Whoa, a person that is very understanding in terms of customer service giving facts. Often times, people don't understand that stand point and are often offended when you tell them the truth. Look, I read the wall of text and have to say. You bought a computer that is 2 1/2 years old. As you said, in that period of time technology is expanding. Obviously, you would know that in this day in age, the technology will be outdated and won't be updated or the chances of any updates are slim to none unless there is a serious issue. You seem to think that the latest drivers = the best drivers, which aren't true. Often times, you should stay with the working driver and leave it. Ever heard of, if it ain't broke, don't fix? Anyways, if you were having the problems from the start, why didn't you bring it back to the store and get a refund or exchange? Aside from that, Sony wasn't at fault for telling you what they said. The current drivers as old as they may be, are working and have no issues that require an update. You don't want to hear that, after realizing that your computer is old and a POS in 2011 and want to blame someone for your laziness to bring it back when you first noticed the problem back in 2009.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    What I am confused about is why after having problems when you first got it did you not do anything. It could very well be faulty hardware and you chose to do nothing about it.
    This. If you have an issue with a product from the beginning, don't go to them 2 years later and complain. That literally makes no sense. Like your problem will 'go away' on its own.

I deal with rude people all the time, claim their machine wasn't fixed when we serviced it 6 months ago. Hello! If we didn't fix it when we serviced it 6 months ago, don't ya think it would've been still broken then?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quite frankly I have gone off Sony a lot the past couple of months mainly because they think they can do what they want and get away with it. I used to be a massive fan of Sony.

For examples, look up custom os for the Playstation 3, although I appreciate why the removed it, the point is they removed functunality from the system.

Also look at the Rootkit, they made to copy protect thier CDs, lookup Sony and Rootkit, Sony need knocking down a peg or two and remembering who keeps them were they are rather than treating thier customers like s**t.

They also got hacked again the other day, and the reason if you believe the hype of the internet they got hacked in the first place was because of thier removal of the Custom OS, from the PS3 and their attitude towards it.
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

Deleted
    @ Arcilux:

I don't think you read what I wrote. I told you that I get random BSOD's that is directly caused by the drivers if I'm just at the desktop or at facebook or spamming my mouse button on some random button that doesn't do anything at all.. The drivers crash when I enlarge the Windows Media Player 10 Window. How is that "new software"?

When the drivers are having issues. When Nvidia themselves are updating it in a regular basis, I don't see why Sony shouldn't.

@ Eyelesscrow:

I missed the part where I; took the computer back because of suspicions after some weeks (less than a month). When I minimized and maximized back to the game it took several minutes before the game appeared. I reported this to the shop I bought it at. They said that; "because it has such good graphic quality, it takes a while to load everything". I was like "well...you're the expert....I just think it's very unusual..." And then didn't do anything about it until this week when I started to investigate the driver-issues.

@ Drunken:

I absolutely agree. I could agree with Sony not updating the drivers because they were "old" or "have no problems at all". But since Nvidia is updating it in a regular basis (like I stated above), I can't understand why Sony is not. If Sony could leave the updating part to Nvidia, sure. But since they are forcing me to spend a lot of money on a new copy of Windows before Nvidia can handle me. That's just poor shit.

@ DeltrusDisc:

I apologize if you thought I was using my laptop as a fine example for BF3. Infact I won't even buy the game nor play it on my laptop.

I was just trying to say that Nvidia is updating my graphic card for BF3 Beta, when Sony is calling it old and "not worth updating". No logic at all.

@ Seph: Like I stated above I gave it in, explained, they said there was no issue. I did not know Nvidia was still updating my drivers while Sony did not want to. I thought those were the drivers and I had to live with it. But when I understood that Nvidia ARE INFACT updating my drivers on a regular basis, I was mad that Sony was the only option I had when downloading new updates and since they weren't. I had a faulty computer.

LIKE I SAID AGAIN, I'm not into computers. I surf, I play, I smile. I do not GO INTO FUCKING BIOS YEAH LOOK THIS SHIT BRO SO NICE. No I do not. I've never touched BIOS on this comptuer. I don't know how BIOS works.

And again. Sony did NOT inform their customer that they were shutting down the upgrade. How bad support is that? I had to contact themselves before they informed me that they were not doing anything anymore for my computer. I still have a half years warranty if you wanna know that.

Imagine a clueless woman who never is used to using computers. How is she supposed to know all this? I'm as clueless as she/he is.
    Last edited by mmoc0bf86c05d8; 2011-10-21 at 05:53 PM.

What does the fact its an OEM OS have to do with anything.

That aside its doubtful but might be worth trying tweaked/custom drivers or googling for someone with the same laptop that has found a workaround.

http://tweakforce.com/

Unfortunately, this is how most laptop makers do it these days... I'd recommend staying away from companies which repackage drivers for their products. I believe there should be enough laptop makers which allow installation of the official GPU drivers.

Anyway, I don't think that you will have much luck with the process... they are not bound to incorporate any updates into the existing or future products. IMHO, your best option is to go with the arguments that the original (Sony provided) drivers were causing a system instability, maybe they will have replace your laptop or something...

Deleted
    Bann just reminded me, I have a serial key for Windows 7....can't I just install a clean copy of Windows 7 using that shit will let me download the drivers from nvidia homepage right? And then manually install the things I want for the laptop (like keybinds for mute and etc).

@ Synth: No I haven't.

I do however want to apologize for my ignorance. If you think that this was something obvious, I beg the differ.

I still cannot accept the fact that if the manufacturer of the graphic card itself, is updating it; why can't Sony do it? It's their responsibility isn't it? Or else they are making the graphic card unstable. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    Last edited by mmoc0bf86c05d8; 2011-10-21 at 06:09 PM.

Yes and you can download the version to fit your key from Microsoft.

Or the instructions on the site are easy enough, to follow and requires you change replace one file and include another:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony...10de-0a29.html

---------- Post added 2011-10-21 at 06:22 PM ----------

Link to x64 home premuim with SP1 preinstalled -

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

You would then need a product key viewer to view your own product key and make sure to write it down, I wont provide a link incase its against forum rules, although there is nothing wrong with using your own product key.

The link above is obtainable from the MS Site, so that should be acceptable.

Either way would work

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be ignoring what someone said earlier in the thread.... NVidia is always updating drivers, but it does not mean you necessarily need the update. I've read how a lot of the updates are often for specific things only relating to certain people and their uses, some drivers are aimed at everyone like when it is fixing a major issue or helping make DX11 run smoother or some crap like that, but some of the driver updates could be as simple as "we made RCT3 run smoother on the GT 9800 GeForce!" Obviously that update wouldn't be too important to most people and they would not need to update it. As someone said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My graphics card runs perfectly on my current driver, which I believe is a slightly older rendition of the 280 driver, and unless they put one out that is aimed at F@H users, specifically to fix the perma-downclocking of the GPU after I pause F@H thus making me have to restart the computer, or something to do with Rift or another game I play, there's no real reason for me to update the driver.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    But since I AGAIN have to explain.

My computer gets BSOD when I have nothing heavy on. When memory usage isn't even over 20?%. I just have a folder, internet browser up and I get a BSOD > BAD_POOL_CALLER. And when I researched about it. It's mostly because of the drivers.

I do understand the fact Deltrus, that if there aren't any issues, why fix something that isn't broken. But mine is broken and it's most likely (BAD_POOL_CALLER again) because of the drivers. I enlarge Windows Media Player 10 window and my drivers crash. So there are issues and there are no new drivers to download.

15+ Year Old Account
    restore to factory settings and see if that fixes anything
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    restore to factory settings and see if that fixes anything
    Sony suggested it and still not working :<

Edit: That is why; last time I factory restored, I ignored to download sony's drivers. Instead I downloaded a few months old driver from Nvidias homepage.

It's working well, no more WMP 10 crashing and haven't seen BSODs since weeks. That is why I'm raging when Sony is saying that their drivers are doing fine, when they clearly aren't. And they won't update them and calling my graphic card "old". Yeah thanks for the support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I'm confused.... which drivers do you have installed now? I thought you were recently having BSODs but now you're saying it has been some number of weeks? This is getting hard to follow.
    "A flower.