Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow Orbs the new Holy Power?

Basing this on the Tier 3 talent screenshot on the main page related to Mind Blast having no shadow orb cost with Surge of Darkness and Dark Archangel consuming shadow orbs instead of Evangelism as two of the talent options in this tier. Do you see them changing orbs to act like Holy Power now for Paladins? What are your thoughts? Like or dislike the idea?

If Mind Blast consumes shadow orbs now, how are you supposed to use Dark Archangel and then cast Mind Blast after?

We will have to see if they are changing how you gain them I guess.

I'm going on a limb and say that Shadow Orbs have become our version of evangilism, so Mind Flay would give us orbs?

What i got from that is your can only cast mind blast if you have current shadow orbs up. but the way we gain orbs will be different so....hard to say yet

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthrix View Post
    If Mind Blast consumes shadow orbs now, how are you supposed to use Dark Archangel and then cast Mind Blast after?

We will have to see if they are changing how you gain them I guess.
    They aren't changing a thing about orbs & MB because as it is now MB consumes orbs if you are shadow & shadow is the only spec that gets orbs. What they are doing is changing dark archangel to consume your orbs and make your next spell listed in there do additional damage based on how many orbs you have (the way using MB currently does). The change is that MF is now increased too when you use it.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2011-10-22 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    They aren't changing a thing about orbs & MB because as it is now MB consumes orbs if you are shadow & shadow is the only spec that gets orbs. What they are doing is changing dark archangel to consume your orbs and make your next spell listed in there do additional damage based on how many orbs you have (the way using MB currently does). The change is that MF is now increased too when you use it.
    Ya but then why would you add an ability that causes Mind Blast to have no Shadow Orb COST?

Archangel consumes Shadow Orbs, and gives more damage based on how many you consume, instead of Evangelism.

Considering the wording on Surge of Darkness, I can see Mind Blast becoming the new Templar's Verdict, where you cast it based off your Shadow Orbs instead of your Holy Power, and it has no cooldown. Of course, orb generation would need to be a bit more normalized than it is now, but I'm happy the class is getting a real resource out of it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I feel like I should point out that it's not that you MB won't have a Shadow Orb cost, it's that when you deal damage with MF you will have a 6% chance for mind blast to not have an orb cost.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...nts_priest.jpg

well yes, but that makes me ask: which Orb cost?
    will MB actually cost orbs, instead of consuming them to do more dmg?
    the wording of Surge Light implies this...
    if the system would stay the same, it would says something as: act as if 3 orbs were present, and not consume any...
    but it does seem to become a Holy Power mechanic. boring somehow. give combopointstyle ressource to everyone, yeil...

Honestly between the wording of this talent and the Archangel one... I don't think it is at all likely that the orb system is going to stay the same at all.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope they don't drastically change the way shadow works and ruin it for people who like how it works currently
    Considering the t13 4 piece bonus as well as this... seems to suggest shadow orbs are indeed the new holy power and we now get to be caster ret paladins (somewhat).

T13 4 piece bonus - constant uptime Zealotry.
    Dark Archangel - Inquisiton with a CD.
    Surge of Darkness - The Art of War minus the double damage part.
    Last edited by xMuse; 2011-10-22 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Archangel consumesbut I'm happy the class is getting a real resource out of it.
    You've never played a Paladin in cata have you? Trust me, the very notion that shadow priests may have a holy power/templar's verdict like system inflicted upon them worries the hell out of me. It really is one of the worst ramp up mechanics they ever designed.
    Last edited by mrsake; 2011-10-22 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsake View Post
    You've never played a Paladin in cata have you? Trust me, the very notion that shadow priests may have a holy power/templar's verdict like system inflicted upon them worries the hell out of me. It really is one of the worst ramp up mechanics they ever designed.
    The problem with Paladins in the current state of the game have very little to do with the notion of Holy Power, and more that between Crusader Strikes there's just too much dead time, and haste doesn't work as smoothly as it should. But, none of these are problems at all for Shadow as it flows smoothly from one spell to another with zero downtime.

Bigger picture here.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-10-22 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Derp, double period

"Is there any plan to make solo Holy Priest DPS better? Running daily quests take a lot of time in Holy"

"Can we have some shadowform tweaks so that you can see the gear?"

we are so intelligent ....
    Last edited by Dami; 2011-10-22 at 08:45 PM.

Deleted
    If the shadow orbs end up being somewhat similar to holy power I fully expect to see AA require orbs but not consume them.

My guess is that their internal testing didn't work with it's current model and they needed to make a quick change to how AA is triggered.

Shadow Priests: The wording on the new Shadow Orbs suggests that they're going to be based on a resource, is that true?
    We're still working on the details but yeah, it will be a secondary resource kind of mechanic, take out the RNG aspect maybe. The idea currently is that Mind Blast will cost shadow orbs and have no cooldown

*Sigh* I walked away from my Paladin and started a priest because I felt holy power was a terribly clunky resource system... Now they've gone and applied it to my priest. I want to be mad, but I'm just too disappointed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugdoctor View Post
    Shadow Priests: The wording on the new Shadow Orbs suggests that they're going to be based on a resource, is that true?
    We're still working on the details but yeah, it will be a secondary resource kind of mechanic, take out the RNG aspect maybe. The idea currently is that Mind Blast will cost shadow orbs and have no cooldown

*Sigh* I walked away from my Paladin and started a priest because I felt holy power was a terribly clunky resource system... Now they've gone and applied it to my priest. I want to be mad, but I'm just too disappointed to be.
    Allow me to quote myself:
    The problem with Paladins in the current state of the game have very little to do with the notion of Holy Power, and more that between Crusader Strikes there's just too much dead time, and haste doesn't work as smoothly as it should. But, none of these are problems at all for Shadow, as it flows smoothly from one spell to another with zero downtime.

Bigger picture here.

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 03:53 PM ----------

For reference:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

15+ Year Old Account
    Please note a lot of the talents on the front page were given as a mock up/ example for every class. Obviously a lot of these will be changed and not make it through.

Mindflay gives us Orbs instead of Envangelism, and Orbs have a graphical representation on the UI much like Soul Shards do currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

Deleted
    Dark evangelism is a stupid mechanic anyway, I don't mind if they remove it.