Deleted

Need some input on choosing a build

Hello Mmo-Champion nation!

Like quite a few others I've also made plans on using my tax returns to buy a new rig. I have narrowed down the opinions to two or three different combinations but am just not able to make the decision which way to go. There's also a few issues on using salvaged items from previous computer that I'd like to get some advice on.

My current setup is about three and half years old:

Cpu: core 2 duo E8400 3,0Ghz
    MoBo: basic p35 board from Gigabyte
    Gpu: Palit GTX 460 1024MB
    Mem: 4gb 800mhz ddr2
    Psu: Seasonic s12 550W energy plus
    Case: Antec nine hundred

I'm going to use my current hard drive as a storage hdd and the dvd-player. Also I'd like to save the case and the psu if possible. More about those later after i've explained the new builds i'm going for.

So the planned setups. Every setup will have a aftermarket cpu cooler and a SSD. Not decided which ones I'll use. Suggestions are welcome!

Option 1:

Cpu: i5 2500k 3,3Ghz
    MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V pro
    Gpu: 2x Palit GTX 460 1024mb in Sli
    Mem: 2x4gb 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws
    Psu: Corsair hx psu 750W 14cm V2.3 80+silver
    Case: Antec Nine hundred or Haf-X

Option 2:

Gpu: Asus GTX 580 Directcu II 1536MB GDDR5
    Psu: My current Seasonic 550W or Corsair hx psu 750W 14cm V2.3 80+silver
    Case: Antec Nine hundred

Option 3:

Even though this was the first build i thought of it's optional since I'm not sure if I can afford it.

Gpu: 2x Asus GTX 560 TI Top Directcu II 1 GB GDDR5 in Sli
    Psu: Corsair hx psu 750W 14cm V2.3 80+silver
    Case: Antec Nine hundred or Haf-X

Now to the questions. The basic points are to keep the system noise at a considerable level. I will be overclocking the cpu atleast somewhat so that is to be considered with the psu. I'll be using 1920x1080 monitor.

In option one I'm a little worried if the airflow of antec nine hundred is enough to keep the gpu's cool enough. I've added the optional 120mm fan to the side panel but I'm still not sure if it's enough? If anyone has knowledge or experience on that it'd be greatly appreciated.

in option two I'd like to use my old Seasonic 550W psu. i'm just not sure if it's enough to power gtx580 and overclocked 2500K. So I'd like some help with the issue also. Saving 140 euros on the psu and being able to use my old case would make this option my favourite.

I guess the third option is for me to decide. I think the same questions apply to this one aswell and it's up to me to decide if I'm able to use the extra cash.

Lastly I have a really noobish question about monitors. Am I able to use a lower resolution monitor as a secondary while using a 1920x1080 as main one?

These are the current options, I might wait and see how the radeon 7000 series compares to these though Nvidia has been my favourite lately. All the input and help is very much appreciated.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Computer Build Help subsection.

Deleted
    1. I'd advise you to go with the 580 build, with the option to add another in the future. At least for me, it feels like a smarter choice to side with a single GPU that can push almost the same (if not better) performance compared to a SLI setup. It also generates less heat and uses less power. Stay away from GTX 460s; they are old and should in my eyes only be considered for budget builds. Your Seasonic PSU has enough juice to power an OC:d 2500k and a GTX 580.

2. For case, I suggest looking here for one that fits you. The list is being updated as it is a work in progress, but there are already a fair amount of choices. Considering the cases you have been looking at, and that you want a silent system, I'd suggest a case with a built-in fan controller, as well as bigger (200mm) fans as they tend to be more silent (or rather, use lower RPM to push the same air as a 120mm). You can always pick up a fan controller on the side of course.

3. For silence, I'd personally suggest the NZXT H2 or the Fractal Design Define R3 as they have included fan controllers as well as noise-cancelling material.

4. You can also check out some sample builds here for further suggestions.

5. Don't forget (in case you can't salvage this from your old PC) HDD, ODD, OS and any other peripheral you might need.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-22 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GPU won't be too hot if you decide to keep your Antec 900, so don't worry. And yes you can use a second monitor with lower resolution.
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-10-22 at 03:23 PM.

I'd recommend the Fractal Design Define R3 and a single graphics card using DCII or Twin Frozr cooler if you want a quiet case.

My recommendation:
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    GPU: Asus GTX 580 Directcu II 1536MB GDDR5, or even 570 or 560ti
    RAM: Cheapest DDR3 8GB @ 1333MHz or higher with small or no heatsinks, preferably 1.5v or less, but 1.65v is "fine"
    PSU: Your old Seasonic 550w
    Case: Fractal Design Define R3

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    RAM: Cheapest DDR3 8GB @ 1333MHz or higher with small or no heatsinks, preferably 1.5v or less, but 1.65v is "fine"
    1600MHz CL9 RAM is by far best in price/performance ratio currently for Sandy Bridge processors. 1333MHz will show slower in games too, while faster RAMs wont make difference anymore for games, only for memory speed benchmarks.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

True. Though in my experience you'll find 1600MHz costing less or same as 1333MHz anyway... :'3