Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

MSI N560GTX-TI Hawk Noise!

Ok so, I was thinking about getting a new GPU.
    ( Already made a thread asking which one, Hawk came out as the best choice for me. )

More specifically, a MSI N560GTX-TI Hawk.

Until I saw this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGMMH9Tq7U

I mean damn, does that thing really make this amount of sound?
    Or will it be a lot less when I put it in my case? ( Antec Three Hundred )

Anyone got experience with this card or one like it?
    I really want a better Graphics Card, but I don't want a freakin' fighter jet under my desk!

Yeah I've heard this and the DirectCU II makes a lot of noise. You should just go with a reference card.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that sounds terrible. I would suggest the Twin Frozr series instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Yeah that sounds terrible. I would suggest the Twin Frozr series instead.
    I can get a MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II OC.
    There's a 1GB and a 2GB version both within my budget.

I've found this though:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-ge...-hawk-review/9

The Twin Frozr II and the Hawk only have like 1 DB difference..

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting I would've expected a larger margin, especially considering I have found the Twin Frozr's to be relatively quiet in comparison to other high end cards.

The speed is based off the temp no, so if the temp goes up, the speed goes up, the sound goes up, doesn't bother me, I want performance, not sound, I use a sexy headset for a reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    The speed is based off the temp no, so if the temp goes up, the speed goes up, the sound goes up, doesn't bother me, I want performance, not sound, I use a sexy headset for a reason.
    Yeah I want performance over sound too, but I still live at home .___.

Got two little sisters in the rooms next to mine.
    Can't have it sound like an entire server park is running in my room while they're trying to sleep..

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a thread about this recently, which you can check out "GTX 580 Advice", where we discussed the two models.

I too am planning on getting the Twin Frozr 3 over the Twin Frozr 2. They are both noisy cards, due to the double fan design. However that does mean both of them are pretty much the coolest 560tis out there. I heard the 2 was less noisy however just reading a review on it from Custom Pc #99 (Funnily enough picking it up the day after our discussion) "Cooler is very noisy under load". So yes they are good cards a little noisy aswell, but they are so so cool.

Bear in mind you will almost never go over 60 percent load even maxxing out games ;D It won't blow your ear drums ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

Deleted
    I made a quick video of my current setup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFidZ4hbPNQ

I have an Antec Three Hundred with Case Fans, and a Club 3D HD 4890.
    You guys think it'll get much louder than this with a Twin Frozr II / Hawk? ( If set up correctly with software )

This is while running Starcraft II on Ultra settings btw.
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2011-10-22 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds relatively loud, however I can't tell if it's the mike or my sound or what..
    Effectively it could be slightly louder, but the point is it'll only get louder if it's hot and by the looks of it you have enough cooling to counteract that.

Could do with more opinions though
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

In actual gaming scenarios, it should be more quiet.

I'm using a Direct Cu II cooler. It reaches about 24% fanspeed when I'm gaming on the auto-preset.
    Yea. It's loud on 100%. But if it never reaches above 30%, why would I care about how much noise it makes at those levels?
    On the other hand, I have a sound-dampening case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that video was extreme cicumstances...

What case you rocking Tetris? For reference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In actual gaming scenarios, it should be more quiet.

I'm using a Direct Cu II cooler. It reaches about 24% fanspeed when I'm gaming on the auto-preset.
    Yea. It's loud on 100%. But if it never reaches above 30%, why would I care about how much noise it makes at those levels?
    On the other hand, I have a sound-dampening case.
    Only 24%? With what sort of games?

I see a lot of people writing about how loud it is because it reaches 60-80% fan speed while playing BF :|

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Only 24%? With what sort of games?

I see a lot of people writing about how loud it is because it reaches 60-80% fan speed while playing BF :|
    Wow, NFS: Hot Pursuit, BFBC2 and BF3-alpha. Didn't play BF3-beta though, can't say there.

Deleted
    Wow, NFS: Hot Pursuit, BFBC2 and BF3-alpha. Didn't play BF3-beta though, can't say there.
    Hm...
    And you use an Asus Direct Cu II? Is that comparable to the Frozr cards?

Also, what kind of case do you use? And any extra coolers or something?

Hm...
    And you use an Asus Direct Cu II? Is that comparable to the Frozr cards?

Also, what kind of case do you use? And any extra coolers or something?
    I'd not just take my word for it.
    Do note that it's not the same coolers, as I have a little bit higher-end (HD6970) GPU than the one you're getting (GTX560 Ti), so the one you would be getting would be the TOP-model of the DirectCu II. The difference? Mine needs more cooling, so it's a triple-slotter cooler. The TOP is a double-slot (just like 95%+ of all models). I cannot guarantee the performances will be the same in terms of noice/cooling. But since they feel they only "need" two slots for the GTX560 Ti, chances are the cooling will be the same.
    Check videos! Read reviews!

The people I've seen posting about the DCII-TOP have been very happy, though.

My case is a Define (R3) from Fractal Design.

It's a loud card. I had one before it started making crazy, not normal noises. I refunded it and went with a 570 TFIII.

Deleted
    I'd not just take my word for it.
    Do note that it's not the same coolers, as I have a little bit higher-end (HD6970) GPU than the one you're getting (GTX560 Ti), so the one you would be getting would be the TOP-model of the DirectCu II. The difference? Mine needs more cooling, so it's a triple-slotter cooler. The TOP is a double-slot (just like 95%+ of all models). I cannot guarantee the performances will be the same in terms of noice/cooling. But since they feel they only "need" two slots for the GTX560 Ti, chances are the cooling will be the same.
    Check videos! Read reviews!

The people I've seen posting about the DCII-TOP have been very happy, though.

My case is a Define (R3) from Fractal Design.
    Thanks.

I've searched for some info and found this:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-g...cu-ii-review/9

It gets warmer than a Twin Frozr, and has about the same sound output (40db at 75cm).

I r confus!
    All the reviews on different websites tell me the MSI Twin Frozr and Hawk are the best cards performance wise and that their sound output are about the same as other 560ti's.

Some of the owners/users however say that they are pretty loud cards..

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k0smo View Post
    It's a loud card. I had one before it started making crazy, not normal noises. I refunded it and went with a 570 TFIII.
    Annoyingly loud when not wearing headphones, or just "normally" loud?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks.

It gets warmer than a Twin Frozr, and has about the same sound output (40db at 75cm).

I r confus!
    All the reviews on different websites tell me the MSI Twin Frozr and Hawk are the best cards performance wise and that their sound output are about the same as other 560ti's.

I would suggest buying one, I mean as you have said they are excellent cards, it's not going to be apocolyptically deafening, if it's too loud you can always return it. No biggie

Thanks.

I r confus!

I'm not trying to generalize the card, as mine clearly had an issue. But before the issue became really bad, it was a loud card, once the fan hits 65% or higher, it screams. My 570 is loud at that fan speed, but doesn't need that much speed, same cooling design. So I'm not sure really.