10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM

GW2 must be doing something right because...

Im doing this thread in the spirit of the thread in the rift forums.

Disclaimer: this thread is a comment on how some features are being integrated into wow from the latest xpack reveal. This is ment as a light hearted thread in the same spirit the rift one is. Im not sure if its gonna be possible to keep it civil as the internet seems like its on fire right now with firey opinions on both sides of the issue.

Seems like GW2 for a few things such as scenarios xeroxed from it by a certain game we shall not name. Does this make you feel happy/sad? Does it affect how you see GW2, and for the wow players, does this affect how you see wow?

Most of us over in the rift thread have been laughing because its an indirect nod that rift did something right even though wow will never say so lol.

Honestly, I am not surprised at all. WoW is old as fuck, they needed to eventually revamp a lot of the game to entice people to keep playing.

While its intresting to see the half harted atempt to shift things that way I doubt Blizzard is going to suceed as well as they'd like. To many core mechanics of the game revolve around concepts that are anathema to the system GW2 is trying to make. While at the end of the day this will probably give WoW a shot in the arm it will still feel like a pale immitation. As intresting as some of this is I just cant see myself paying for this expansion unless it comes much sooner than we think and GW2 is much further off than we think. I might consider it if wow went B2P but frankly I'm geting a bit tired of their double diping, Sub fees AND rather pricy preimum items/services in their shop is starting to grate on my nerves.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with merendel, if it went B2P I'd consider(an probably would) start playing it again, but hell would have to freeze over twice fr me to buy that xpac AND pay their stupid sub, especially since the game their copying off of is B2P

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 06:48 PM ----------

As for whether or not I like em copying it, I do like it, it means their showin their weakness and that they were moving in a wrong direction and are -attempting- to fix it/save their game
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I'm with merendel, if it went B2P I'd consider(an probably would) start playing it again, but hell would have to freeze over twice fr me to buy that xpac AND pay their stupid sub, especially since the game their copying off of is B2P
    Amen, brother!

"GW2 must be doing something right..."

...Because GC is now trying to get his minions to blatantly mimic almost every major innovation GW2 is bringing to the table in a futile attempt to save his failing MMOligarchy.

Laugh, because it's true.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

This topic has been beaten to do death in the main thread but oh well

It really doesn't matter what Blizzard takes. They could make these features just as good as Guild Wars' but it still wouldn't really matter. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for an extremely outdated game rather then just play a newer next gen game with all the same features but is only b2p?

I think Pay to Play systems will be the first things other MMO's will start to ditch once they see how successful GW2 and many other games have become with a b2p system. We already pay 50-60 bucks for a game. We shouldn't have to pay 15 bucks a month on top of that for new content every six months...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    Most of us over in the rift thread have been laughing because its an indirect nod that rift did something right even though wow will never say so lol.
    if copying a feature is an indirect nod Rift broke it's own neck about 50 times trying to nod everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    if copying a feature is an indirect nod Rift broke it's own neck about 50 times trying to nod everywhere.
    Guys please stay on topic, just because i mentioned where i got the thread from doesnt give you free reign to use it to go off topic. Im talking about GW2 and wow at this point. Hence why i made it in the GW2 forum. Your response would have been perfectly fine in the thread similar to this in the rift forums.

So yea post it there.

Seems like GW2 for a few things such as scenarios
    I'm starting to think more people need to have played LotRO since everybody keeps claiming WoW took scenarios from newer games when LotRO has had them for almost 2 years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I'm starting to think more people need to have played LotRO since everybody keeps claiming WoW took scenarios from newer games when LotRO has had them for almost 2 years now.
    Not many people are saying that these new games invented these things. Many people are saying that they didn't get added to WoW when these other games did them. They are being added now that the upcoming games are using these things as some of their key features. The timing says it's because of these games doing it right, and not who did it first.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll be playing WoW, D3, and GW2. Each has its own draws for me, and each is sound in its own ways. I don't like SWTOR, but I won't go bashing it.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-10-23 at 04:04 AM.

I think MoP is copying Guild Wars Factions the most. I know Asia wasn't invented by GW (lol), but just the feeling of an Asian continent+timed dungeons (just like the Expert's/Master's rewards in Factions, and also like the Challenge Missions) seems to imitate Factions quite a bit.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    I think MoP is copying Guild Wars Factions the most. I know Asia wasn't invented by GW (lol), but just the feeling of an Asian continent+timed dungeons (just like the Expert's/Master's rewards in Factions, and also like the Challenge Missions) seems to imitate Factions quite a bit.
    Does that mean MoP will also have the cardboard city?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Does that mean MoP will also have the cardboard city?!?!
    Hah, I wish. Also, there is a zone called the "Jade Forest". Jade Sea+Echovald Forest=Jade Forest ;P
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

It does seem a little like blizz don't know what to do with this expansion, so they take good stuff from a few upcoming MMO's and put it into their game, which, in my opinion, is a very bad move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that Blizzcon is over, it's time to move on and let life return to normal. The topic has thoroughly been discussed for 2 days now, and further going into it will prove non-constructive.

Closing

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net