Thread: Holy PvP

10+ Year Old Account

Holy PvP

I've gone through 4 pages at 20 threads a page and almost all PvP info I've found is related to disc.

I'd like an idea if my spec is correct: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sayan/advanced

Also, what do I gem? I've put in intellect in the only gem slot I have and I tried to follow a fellow PvP'er (disc) in the leg enchant as a tailor, but it's not clear. Do I aim for haste or mastery as a PvP healer? Do I gem resil or spell penetration (is that even applicable as a healer?).

Also, do I leave Chakra Revelations off for my chatise (stun) or should I keep myself in serenity for the large "as you go" heal?

Don't worry too much about the gear - it's my first set of tailored stuff and I plan on upgrading to season 10 as quickly as possible (already won 3/4 bg's today).

Thanks!

So are you looking to do rbgs or arenas? If arenas what are your team mates? That actually makes a bit of a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    So are you looking to do rbgs or arenas? If arenas what are your team mates? That actually makes a bit of a difference.
    Sorry about not being very clear . I'm doing random battlegrounds right now until I've got more experience and can find partners in an arena or rated battleground.

TBH you probably already know this but you're seriously gimping yourself by playing as holy, especially in arena.

That said, I would gem for resilience for the extra survivability for stat priority personally I would say int=resil > spirit > haste > crit > mastery
    Haste=faster casting, more renew ticks; Crit, larger heals but mostly just better than mastery since a really weak hot will not really save anyone who is taking any real damage in pvp

Skipping revelations is a must. If you plan on healing you can't afford to spend all of your time in smite chakra, and while strong, serenity is not worth losing a 17 sec cd CC for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going by the gear of your Priest, you've experienced close to none of the gameplay of Discipline or Holy at "end game". Can I ask why you want to play Holy over Discipline?

It's true that Holy will be getting some love in 4.3, but it is not 4.3 and likely still won't be as good as Discipline.

I will also mention that if you wait until 4.3, a new Season 11(10.3) gear will be made available for honour which will be better than the current 384 Ruthless gear. I don't know if you were around (in a PvP way) when they did this at the start of this season by introducing a new Vicious set.

cancelaura => chastise?? the holy words have seperate cooldowns!
    the only one that is gimped is the holypriests without revelations... HW:Seren, (cheap) instant heal, who wouldnt take it??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Going by the gear of your Priest, you've experienced close to none of the gameplay of Discipline or Holy at "end game". Can I ask why you want to play Holy over Discipline?

It's true that Holy will be getting some love in 4.3, but it is not 4.3 and likely still won't be as good as Discipline.

I will also mention that if you wait until 4.3, a new Season 11(10.3) gear will be made available for honour which will be better than the current 384 Ruthless gear. I don't know if you were around (in a PvP way) when they did this at the start of this season by introducing a new Vicious set.
    You'd be surprised!

This is a replacement Darsayan for my previous holy priest when I went on a bender and removed all my alts. I've played holy since Wrath, and I've tried Disc quite a few times. I just...I can't seem to enjoy it. I realize it has more damage burst and a bit more protection but the unpredictability of PW:S just drives me bananas. The only place I've never played either is in PvP. I have a nice holy set for regular PvE; don't let the raid experience on Darsayan fool you.

I'll go for more resilience as soon as I have gear with gems slots, of course. I think there is an int/resil gem out there that I can cut. And I'll go with TheTrueM4gg0t's idea on a cancel aura macro for the CC.

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguinFreak View Post
    TBH you probably already know this but you're seriously gimping yourself by playing as holy, especially in arena.

That said, I would gem for resilience for the extra survivability for stat priority personally I would say int=resil > spirit > haste > crit > mastery
    Haste=faster casting, more renew ticks; Crit, larger heals but mostly just better than mastery since a really weak hot will not really save anyone who is taking any real damage in pvp

Skipping revelations is a must. If you plan on healing you can't afford to spend all of your time in smite chakra, and while strong, serenity is not worth losing a 17 sec cd CC for.
    I'm not sure what smite Chakra is. Are you thinking of Archangel? Smite Disc?

instead of actually shooing him away from the spec he want to play how about you people give some advise to the topic at hand.

holy is fine and very fun in PvP battlegrounds!

if you plan on BGing as holy one thing to take note for when you decide to itemize your gear is be very aware that holy main regain is Holy Concentration. so dont forget/undervalue spirit.

for me personally in battlegrounds i tend to sit in serenity for constant renews and HW: serenity. i would ONLY recommend sanctuary if you are 1) in a big group for stronger renews and PoMs 2) sure that the group will peal off of you as needed otherwise you better of in serenity or not in chakra at all. smite chakra isnt really "required to be in" dmg is meh anyway.

one thing i see myself doing in BGs is staying in serenity unless i need to self peel or peel my dps buddy so than go back in to serenity later.

holy is a blast in pvp BGs dont let the hater discourage you!

PS. i see you took the PW: shield talent did you know that the glyph of PW: shield will also refresh you renew in serenity chakra!
    Last edited by PlatedPriest; 2011-10-23 at 02:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

instead of actually shooing him away from the spec he want to play how about you people give some advise to the topic at hand.
    Because in all honesty, coming from a big fan of Holy here mind you, he'd have better luck and more fun in the long run if he knuckled down and learned to play Disc or rolled a different class.

holy is a blast in pvp BGs dont let the hater discourage you!
    Until you get targeted. How's that COH, cast-time centered healing style working out for you? Not that great? How would you like a super-strong shield, better mana regen, better instants (PW:S>>>Renew), able to avoid interruption every 30-45 sec, a better survivability CD, a better defensive proc (focused will>blessed resilience), and better single target (read: better for PVP) healing? Heck, you can even get what amounts to a better version of Body and Soul from the PVP 4pc bonus. The reason Holy's not as good as Disc for PVP is survivability while focused, which in your average random BG isn't quite so important (since most of your opponents are pretty much terrible) but if you want to do anything realistically competitive, you really ought to give Disc another look.

About all Holy's got going for it over Disc - HW:Chastise, which you have to give up throughput for, Lightwell (which I believe can still be targeted and killed, and stationary anything is generally bad in PVP) Body and Soul which is covered by the 4pc for Disc, and arguably stronger AE healing, which isn't really all that important in PVP except when trying to win meters in baddie BGs.

It is worth the effort to get a decent healer addon and learn to track weakened soul and rapture procs.
    Last edited by Felade; 2011-10-23 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I tried switching to Disc after readin' Felade's post. It made a lot of sense - a good set of points.

Overall I don't see a major difference except I'm far more visible to those vile hordies when I'm using penance. It's like a line pointing right back at me. I mean, granted, a priest not in shadowform is, of course, a healer and sticks out like a sore thumb!

Quick PvP question then: take archangel/smite or skip it for random battlegrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So I tried switching to Disc after readin' Felade's post. It made a lot of sense - a good set of points.

Overall I don't see a major difference except I'm far more visible to those vile hordies when I'm using penance. It's like a line pointing right back at me. I mean, granted, a priest not in shadowform is, of course, a healer and sticks out like a sore thumb!

Quick PvP question then: take archangel/smite or skip it for random battlegrounds?
    I'd skip it, unless you're doing 2s in Arenas its not all that helpful, and even then its not really helpful - Mana Burn's a better way to go. Most PVPers worth their salt can pick out a healer right away, Penance or no Penance, and some even have addons to track healers on the opposing team.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    I'd skip it, unless you're doing 2s in Arenas its not all that helpful, and even then its not really helpful - Mana Burn's a better way to go. Most PVPers worth their salt can pick out a healer right away, Penance or no Penance, and some even have addons to track healers on the opposing team.
    skip it, points are better spent in other places. and smite healing doesnt have much thru put anyway.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

Yeah, because those arrow graphics that a holy priest brings doesn't make you an instant target to anyone that knows how weak a holy priest is. Everytime I see a holy priest I make damn sure to tell people to get the fuck on him, as he dies in stuns, has no interrupt protection and goes oom quick if you just train him.

Oh and don't take arch/smite, you'll never use them. Dpsing as disc consists of mind spike, mind spike, mind spike, mb, swd and holy fire if you get interrupted on shadow.

Disc is also fairly easy to play. Just pws anything taking dmg and spam flash heal to bring up people and to reduce weakened soul so you can use even more shields.

Here's the spec I run as disc:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

Renew is pretty good with talent+glyph because it's instant cast (=uninterruptable!) and it actually heals for more as disc if used right. 3x grace (hey penance) + BT(hey pws) = +24% healing and +1 tick.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-10-24 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Yeah, because those arrow graphics that a holy priest brings doesn't make you an instant target to anyone that knows how weak a holy priest is. Everytime I see a holy priest I make damn sure to tell people to get the fuck on him, as he dies in stuns, has no interrupt protection and goes oom quick if you just train him.

Oh and don't take arch/smite, you'll never use them. Dpsing as disc consists of mind spike, mind spike, mind spike, mb, swd and holy fire if you get interrupted on shadow.

Disc is also fairly easy to play. Just pws anything taking dmg and spam flash heal to bring up people and to reduce weakened soul so you can use even more shields.

Here's the spec I run as disc:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

Renew is pretty good with talent+glyph because it's instant cast (=uninterruptable!) and it actually heals for more as disc if used right. 3x grace (hey penance) + BT(hey pws) = +24% healing and +1 tick.
    Thanks for the spec! I've been using Archangel, though, with some good success, but it doesn't always have a place. It's dangerous to use if you're getting interrupted as it prevents healing, too (being the same tree), but there are times it comes in handy in places like Isle of Conquest or when you smite heal against a single opponent with you and someone else.

I'm loving Disc vs holy. The protection from Inner Focus along with the 4p (soon to come) + Pain Suppression is epic. I've made 7011 honor in 3 days from a series of great wins (including solo healing our flag carrier through 10 horde players from the center to our tower for an EoS win) and I've finally gotten into it for potentially healing in PvE as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guide to playing holy in pvp: Go to the priest trainer. Unlearn all talents. Respec as disc.

But really, holy pales in comparison to disc in PvP.

Watch it. That's borderline spec trolling. Welcome to the forum and please post thoughtfully ~ Ultima
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-11-04 at 10:47 AM.