Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i think you are right, KFP stole from blizzard by making a pandaran cartoon movie.
    I thought the same thng when I 1st say that move. lol, funny move though.

I'm just gonna leave this here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/....0-Panda-Mania
    (note, this is a joke. Bear Hugs to anyone who takes the above link seriously).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smartAXE View Post
    cause martial arts stances only pertain to pandas.
    Fuck....
    They both stole it from Star Wars.
    Just flip the picture to get the stance.
    Inner peace is very important for a Jedi.
    And we all know how Yoda fights that is pretty much bouncy.
    Gourmand/Epicurean Yoda is pretty lazy(or those big blob monsters)
    GEORGE LUCAS GET THEM!

Pandas live in China. China is known for kung-fu. Blizzard did not steal this from Kung-fu Panda. Kung-fu Panda did not steal this from Blizzard. The pandas = China = kung-fu thing is a stereotype that has existed for years.

The racials are definitely playing off of the movie. I like it. I like Kung Fu Panda.

If everything announced actually ships with the game, this is going to be one fun expansion.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Thehavalina View Post
    Why does it matter though?
    because everybody wants new things, new concepts and a great original name.
    i'm not saying that using references from other things is wrong, but there's a limit for everything
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Gourmand/Epicurean: Po loved food and ate in excess (which is the exact definition of Gourmand). He was also a cook. There's really no argument here. Blizzard did not pull those traits out of thin air and just happen to have them match KFP exactly while having nothing to do with the WC3 Brewmaster.
    About the eatiing thing; Wild Pandas eat almost non-stop, upto 16 hours per day - THAT is where both the Pandaren racial and the Kung-Fu Panda character's obsession with food comes from.

Inner Peace: Inner Peace plays a large, mentioned-by-name role in KFP, with Po told that if he finds it, it will lead to a drastic improvement in the speed of his training. Herp derp, rested exp. Again, exact reference to KFP, yet has absolutely nothing to do with the WC3 Pandaren Brewmaster. Unless you consider a drunken haze to be Inner Peace.
    This is a Martial Arts / Zen thing.... The creators of Kung Fu Panda did not invent Kung Fu, Martial Arts or Inner Peace.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2011-10-23 at 02:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFury Treann View Post
    because everybody wants new things, new concepts and a great original name.
    i'm not saying that using references from other things is wrong, but there's a limit for everything
    So far we just know that Pandaren are included and that the expansion is "asian" themed (I'm being unspecific on purpose due to a lack of knowledge on the subject), and that the racials are apperently fit & named for the main character of a rather popular movie.

Now until we see the main storyline actually unfold and what's to come, you're arguing about tinyass details, and you'd prefer it if you were to stop.

Deleted
    Can we just agree that both Pandaren and Kung Fu Panda are nothing more than examples based on Chinese culture?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    About the eating thing; Wild Pandas eat almost non-stop - THAT is where both the Pandaren racial and the Kung-Fu Panda character's obsession with food comes from.
    Also this, the avarage Giant Panda apperently nomnomnoms between 9 and 14 kilos of bamboo shots a day, and can apperently defecate up to 40 times a day.

Taken from your friendly neighbourhood wikipedia page.

Giant Panda is the black&white one, bytheway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Can we just agree that both Pandaren and Kung Fu Panda are nothing more than examples based on Chinese culture?
    nope it's called ripoff of asian culture

As Netherspark and Kezool above me has posted, a Wild Panda eats. A lot. Blizzard is not referencing Kung-Fu Panda with the racials. They're referencing what ACTUAL Pandas do. And you know what? Kung-Fu Panda was referencing what ACTUAL Pandas do as well.

You know what else Kung-Fu Panda referenced? Ancient Chinese culture.

You know what else Mists of Pandaria referenced? Ancient Chinese culture.

Mists of Pandaria is not a reference to Kung-Fu Panda. It's a reference to ancient Chinese culture and involves a race of humandoid Pandas that share similar traits to the actual animals. It just so happens that Kung-Fu Panda beat them to it, and unfortunately portrayed it in a childish manner that seems to have been forever embedded in the minds of our adults.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    As Netherspark above me has posted, a Wild Panda eats. A lot. Blizzard is not referencing Kung-Fu Panda with the racials. They're referencing what ACTUAL Pandas do. And you know what? Kung-Fu Panda was referencing what ACTUAL Pandas do as well.

You know what else Kung-Fu Panda referenced? Ancient Chinese culture.

You know what else Mists of Pandaria referenced? Ancient Chinese culture.

Mists of Pandaria is not a reference to Kung-Fu Panda. It's a reference to ancient Chinese culture and involves a race of humandoid Pandas that share similar traits to the actual animals. It just so happens that Kung-Fu Panda beat them to it, and unfortunately portrayed it in a childish manner that seems to have been forever embedded in the minds of our adults.
    WC3 did have an Pandaran brewmaster so Blizz beat disney to it not the other way around.

Even if it isn't intended at all people are still going to correlate MoP with Kung Fu Panda. Because they're similar. You can't deny that they're similar. It doesn't matter which one came first because they're still a lot alike. When I saw the trailer that was the first thing that I thought of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kateros View Post
    nope it's called ripoff of asian culture
    Which story in this world is not a ripoff of something else?

all your arguments are dumb.

Stance: the only similarity between the poster stance and the MoP stance is that both pandas are in a martial arts pose facing the camera. both of their arms and hands are in completely different positions, and their leg positions are reversed.

Epicurean/Gourmand: pandas are universally depicted as constantly eating. especially eating bamboo. oh fear, how could both blizzard and disney play on the same stereotype of pandas? clearly it was DELIBERATE /eyeroll

Inner Peace: asian culture and spirituality is heavily based on serenity and "zen" and harmony. the expac will be set in asia. need i say more.

Bouncy: pandas are fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    You guys act like introducing Panda type races into a video game is new. Pandawa were introduced into a French game I played called Dofus in 2006 lore and everything. Kung Fu Panda wasn't released till 2008. This class was big on alcohol (a few abilities could only be used in the state of 'Drunk'). There are many other sources for Panda-esque information. You shouldn't compare a big title like Kung Fu Panda to Blizzards new expansion because as far as I'm concerned Dreamworks took their ideas from plenty of other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by kateros View Post
    WC3 did have an Pandaran brewmaster so Blizz beat disney to it not the other way around.
    I meant that Kung-Fu Panda beat them to the whole introduction of a world based around ancient Chinese culture, with the involvement of Pandas. I'm well aware that the Pandaren existed long before Kung-Fu Panda arrived, but it wasn't too well known and until this point, the majority of lore has been from non-canon RPG books. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Even if it isn't intended at all people are still going to correlate MoP with Kung Fu Panda. Because they're similar. You can't deny that they're similar. It doesn't matter which one came first because they're still a lot alike. When I saw the trailer that was the first thing that I thought of.
    You're an impressionable little twerp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Rarity View Post
    Honestly, it all boils down to this Pandas + Martial Arts = Kung Fu Panda. Anything/anyone that says otherwise will be met with scorn, sadly. I can see how people draw similarities, but I honestly don't see how that makes it a bad thing that they are similar...
    Orcs look like Shrek, therefore Orcs are childish! (Yes, I know Shrek is not an orc but an ogre, my father came up behind me when I was on my hunter and said "he looks like Shrek")

There are simularities between Pandaren and Kung-fu Panda, but wth do these people expect? Panderen do martial arts, and have long before KFP came out. Any mix of Panderen and Martial arts would have lead to similarities with KFP, which I don't think should be a problem. But apparently, people are upset over this for some reason.
    Putin khuliyo