Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Exactly this. Kung-Fu panda was a very succesfull movie and it is still very fresh in peoples minds. No wonder people associate Pandarens with Po from Kung-Fu panda. That said, I know that Pandarens have been around much longer than the Kung-Fu panda movies and that they have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. But alot of people will still associate them with Po. As another one in this thread wrote: If they were going to do this, they should have done it back in TBC. That would properly still have made an upraw, but at least it wouldn't have been associated with Kung-Fu Panda.
    What is so bd about people thinking about a film, when they see something? I mean, we have been dealing with this all the time (me at least^^). "I play a fantasy game" "Oh, like in Lord of the Rings (Harry Potter...whichever was more popular at the time)?" "Ah... no, not exactly, there's also some science fiction in it" "Oh, I see, like in Star Trek (or Star Wars, see above)".... ahh yea, whatever.
    Some people even laugh at WoW in general, because there was a South Park episode about it. They don't know WoW, only South Park, but it is in their mind, so they think about it, when they hear "WoW".
    Most of my friends who don't play WoW, don't play because it's too cartoony style. They think it's childish. Not because of Pandaren, because of the style per se.
    One of my friends laughed his butt off, when he did the quest to cleanse Teldrassil, because he said he felt like "Sailor Moon".

People will always think of a thing they know, when they see something similar. But that doesn't make the point more valid, nor should it prevent anyone from having fun with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Rarity View Post
    Honestly, it all boils down to this Pandas + Martial Arts = Kung Fu Panda. Anything/anyone that says otherwise will be met with scorn, sadly. I can see how people draw similarities, but I honestly don't see how that makes it a bad thing that they are similar...
    I've never seen Kung Fu Panda, and I'd forgotten the movie existed until you all started making comparisons.

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 12:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    lets face it! KFP ruined the image of pandas for the "serious" or "mature" players in the wow community.
    I can't believe I just read that sentence.

THEY'RE FUCKING PANDAS WHO DO KUNG FU. Of course they're not "serious" or "mature".

People who expect all entertainment to be mature are the furthest thing from mature.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

I'm not sure, but I THINK this is the exact tree the old druid form was modeled after. I don't have the specific dates of when the picture was taken, just when it was blogged. However, you can see the resemblances, right:

1. Stand upright.
    2. Have wood.
    3. Have leaves.

I mean, undeniably so, one of the models MUST be modeled after one of the other models exactly; I mean, anyone making a tree-like anything couldn't possibly follow this out-of-the-ordinary model for a tree...

Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2011-10-26 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    I've never seen Kung Fu Panda, and I'd forgotten the movie existed until you all started making comparisons.

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 12:30 PM ----------

I can't believe I just read that sentence.

THEY'RE FUCKING PANDAS WHO DO KUNG FU. Of course they're not "serious" or "mature".

People who expect all entertainment to be mature are the furthest thing from mature.
    Well obviously they should have been ninja turtles as those are old school which automatically makes them mature.

I did a double take when I read his response too, its a panda that does martial arts, at no level is there any maturity in that.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    I'm just curious how is this so? How by having certain exceptions make you immature? (which is what you're implying)

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    What is so bd about people thinking about a film, when they see something? I mean, we have been dealing with this all the time (me at least^^). "I play a fantasy game" "Oh, like in Lord of the Rings (Harry Potter...whichever was more popular at the time)?" "Ah... no, not exactly, there's also some science fiction in it" "Oh, I see, like in Star Trek (or Star Wars, see above)".... ahh yea, whatever.
    Some people even laugh at WoW in general, because there was a South Park episode about it. They don't know WoW, only South Park, but it is in their mind, so they think about it, when they hear "WoW".
    Most of my friends who don't play WoW, don't play because it's too cartoony style. They think it's childish. Not because of Pandaren, because of the style per se.
    One of my friends laughed his butt off, when he did the quest to cleanse Teldrassil, because he said he felt like "Sailor Moon".

People will always think of a thing they know, when they see something similar. But that doesn't make the point more valid, nor should it prevent anyone from having fun with it.
    I didn't say anything about it being bad did I? I was merely explaining why alot of people will think like this. And I do agree with you on what you are saying.
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-10-26 at 12:51 PM.

This is so true, Mists of Pandaria is a whole expansion that just YELLS Kung Fu Panda.

I mean, Kung Fu Panda is the CREATOR of Kung Fu, we all know that. And Blizzard steals that?? The heck!

And the whole theme is A... I mean, Kung Fu Panda looking stuff, do they have to rip off the zones too??

And PANDAS! Big talking pandas was the idea of Kung Fu Panda, and the whole eating thing, Giant Pandas in Asia only began eating so much because China have taught their bears to be rip offs! Silly China, stealing our ideas once again!

And Pandaren being in WCIII, pfffft, they had datamined their way to the Kung Fu Panda movie, those bastards! That is why they are so happy for food and bouncy and Kung Fu!

Kung Fu Panda is unique and the creator of the Asian Culture in every way, and Mists of Pandaria is such a rip off that it hurts, Dreamworks should sue them, and get WoW locked, and make their OWN MMO, that will KILL EVERY OTHER MMO!

If you did not notice, That was sarcastic. Kung Fu Panda ripped off Asia stuff, just like Pandaren did. Pandaren just did it first, but got published after in their expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I didn't say anything about it being bad did I? I was merely explaining why alot of people will think like this. And I do agree with you on what you are saying.
    I remember playing random games on my computer (not even MMO's or multiplayer games) and an ignorant guy or girl walks in, looks at it, and asks, "Are you playing WoW?" I always thought that was funny, just as I think this "debate" is hilarious. It would have some merit if WoW was a supr srs game with unmalleable lore and a great deal of realism...but it's not. Hahahaha. Oh, you guys...

Blizzard has been planning to add Pandaren since before BC. What do you expect them to do, scrap the concept completely? "Sorry guys, someone released a movie about a panda doing kung-fu. We can't use the Pandaren now."

This makes about as much sense as the worgen/Twilight comparisons before Cata. That is, none at all.

It has to be a rip-off of Kung-fu Panda. Because no Pandaren traits were thought of before that movie came out (except they were).

Really this argument is ridiculous. There's one massive thing everyone seems to have overlooked, and it baffles me. Now pay attention here.

I mean no disrespect by this, but in Western, especially American minds, if you ask someone to think about "Chinese things", pandas and martial arts are going to be fairly high on most people's lists. China is well-known for their pandas, and marial arts are generally associated with Asian cultures here in the West (and with names like karate, kung fu, tae kwon do, etc its easy to see). Also, and again I'm saying this generally, Asian cultures are proud of their martial arts traditions and China is certainly proud of their pandas.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND KUNG FU PANDA ARE NOT THE ONLY TWO THINGS TO HAVE EVER MADE THIS CONNECTION. Good lord people, you're talking about two of the most well known aspects of Chinese culture that have been associated with the country forever and you're acting like either Blizzard stole the idea from a single movie, or the movie stole it from Blizzard. Are you serious?

I did a quick look-up of pandas martial arts on google and got tons of stuff. Yes, first was Kung Fu Panda (obviously a popular recent movie would be first) and futher down some stuff about the new expansion, and mixed in there a lot of martial arts schools with references to pandas. I clicked on one, to tell them that they clearly stole their idea from the movie. Oh, wait, this school opened in 2002. Kung Fu Panda came out in 2008. It's almost like.... someone else... made... that connection...... ever....

To me, the question so much is if MoP was inspired by KFP...

...the question is "So what if MoP is inspired by KFP?" I mean, does it really change anything if it was? Blizz hasn't been 100% totally original for a while now - and there's only so many ways you can do an asian theme with a light-hearted storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if they just said "ah, eff it!" and just based thegame off the movie because the game did that style so impressively well!

And, lets face it, Blizzard is NOT above stealing movie ideas. Hell, look at Uldum and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...hrm, on second thought about Uldum, I think I may have answered my own question. Damnit! >_<

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    <snip>
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND KUNG FU PANDA ARE NOT THE ONLY TWO THINGS TO HAVE EVER MADE THIS CONNECTION. Good lord people, you're talking about two of the most well known aspects of Chinese culture that have been associated with the country forever and you're acting like either Blizzard stole the idea from a single movie, or the movie stole it from Blizzard. Are you serious?
    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.
    Congratz you can identify a Chinese cartoon style...

Chinese art is exactly how you describe it.

http://www.the-gallery-of-china.com/...ing-Mi6123.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s%27an_001.jpg
    http://ilearn-culture.com/wp-content...ing_200904.jpg
    http://library.thinkquest.org/23801/PAINTING.jpg

Honestly it reminded me of mulan a lot more than kfp. Even the original dragon ball is more similar to mop in art style than kfp.
    It is inspired in Chinese culture and blizz's art team understandably took inspiration in Chinese art. Congratz on actually not getting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

Again though my point applies. Does MoP look like Kung Fu Panda? You say yes, I say no. I see several strong similarities, but they are both drawing heavily from the same easily recognizeable source, so yeah. (Clarify: what I mean here is that I see thematic similarities, but I don't look at a screenshot of MoP and think "Oh, Kung Fu Panda", I look at both and think "Oh, Chinese inspired") You could just as easily say that MoP screenshots look like Mulan, or that Kung Fu Panda took some visual cues from same. Because they did. Because they are referencing the same thing. You made the point yourself about Uldum, with the obvious Raiders storyline and the whole Egyptian feel to the entire zone, architecturally and visually.

I don't get why that's just as is, because it's referencing a well-known regional style and feel, but MoP HAS to be referencing Kung Fu Panda with no regard to the fact that they are BOTH drawing from the same inspiratinonal sources and a well-known style. And as for "Well the whole expansion shouldn't feel that way", well, we haven't seen the whole expansion yet, all the zones and areas of Pandaria and whatnot. Even so, how much of Northrend and the lore/storylines there are Norse/Viking themed? Except there wasn't a popular movie that came out about vikings around the same time, otherwise you could make the exact same argument that they stole from each other, again because they are drawing from the same source material.

Deleted
    To me, the question so much is if MoP was inspired by KFP...

...the question is "So what if MoP is inspired by KFP?" I mean, does it really change anything if it was? Blizz hasn't been 100% totally original for a while now - and there's only so many ways you can do an asian theme with a light-hearted storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if they just said "ah, eff it!" and just based thegame off the movie because the game did that style so impressively well!

And, lets face it, Blizzard is NOT above stealing movie ideas. Hell, look at Uldum and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...hrm, on second thought about Uldum, I think I may have answered my own question. Damnit! >_<

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 02:23 PM ----------

I see how you can see it this way, but to me it reminded me at once of Hero (of the many different colour themes and very bright colours this movie had) of House of Flying Daggers (one of the Jade Forest-pictures is almost 1:1 like the bamboo forest from that movie, where one of the biggest fights takes place) and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (with the snow capped mountains, the waterfalls and the houses built over the chinese bridges it even has a place like the brewery).

So I still think it is a matter of viewpoint and what is more popular to a person. I watched Kung Fu Panda once. The only thing that reminded me of Kung Fu Panda is... well.. Pandaren being Panda-people. And actually it was the other way around, Kung Fu Panda reminded me of Pandaren, because that was the only relevant picture up to that point I had in my mind with walking/fighting Panda-people.^^
    To me all those other movies are much more popular and come to my mind very easy, when I see an Asia-inspired landscape.
    It is - as so very often the case - a matter of perception.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i think you are right, KFP stole from blizzard by making a pandaran cartoon movie.
    I think this is the right place for this

Warcraft 3 having an Asian themed panda, and examples of martial arts pandas in Chinese history, do not give Blizzard carte blanche to make Kung Fu Panda the video game.

I could write a story about a boy wizard, whose parents were killed by a dark wizard who must not be named, and grew up not knowing his past until he was taken to a magical school of wizardry where he and his friends learned to do magic and eventually saved the word from he who must not be named. I would obviously be accused of ripping off Harry Potter, but all I would have to do is point out that wizards exist in historical mythology and bring out a short story I wrote about a wizard in the 5th grade. Then my shameless rip off becomes "completely original".

If anything, Kunf Fu Panda copied WoW's Pandaran. KFP came 6 years after WC3's expansion. The only thing KFP needed was to make Po a guy who makes his own beer and there we go.

And All the races have similarities to culture references. Hell, I could say that the Orcs are MC Hammer-wanna-bes because they dance like MC hammer. Or I could say that the Blood Elves are Sephiroth wannaa bes because their hair style looks like a main villian from FF7. Yet they're also in.

Are they making references to KFP? Yeah. Does it make it grounds for copyright infringement? No. Does it give you a reason to hate them? No, but people will do it anyway since they only look at things on face value instead of reading the info already handed to them from Blizzcon.

Deleted

People may find some consolation in this. At least he's badass.

Comparing Kung Fu Panda to Mists of Pandaria makes about as much sense to me as comparing Wrath of the Lich King to Der Ring des Nibelungen.

1. Pandaren reveal trailer

Here is a comparison of the Pandaren reveal and an international poster for Kung Fu Panda 2:
    http://imgur.com/a/kF3gN

The only major difference in stance is that the left leg is back instead of forward. The sun is in the same location. The temple is on the right instead of directly behind, but uses the exact same coloring (which is far from the most common, especially for temples). The environment is likewise similar. Obviously it's not identical, that would mean lawsuits. But it's undeniably similar.

A company like Blizzard does not *accidentally* make a major product preview so similar to another major product preview of a similar theme. They have entire departments devoted to ensuring that does not happen. Unless you believe that Blizzard is utterly incompetent, you realize that - at the very least - they were aware (beforehand) how similar their reveal would be to KFP and decided to keep it that way.
    It is a famous martial arts stance and it looks cool. You might have a argument here, but you can also say coincidence.

2. Racial traits remove any doubt

Gourmand/Epicurean: Po loved food and ate in excess (which is the exact definition of Gourmand). He was also a cook. There's really no argument here. Blizzard did not pull those traits out of thin air and just happen to have them match KFP exactly while having nothing to do with the WC3 Brewmaster.

Inner Peace: Inner Peace plays a large, mentioned-by-name role in KFP, with Po told that if he finds it, it will lead to a drastic improvement in the speed of his training. Herp derp, rested exp. Again, exact reference to KFP, yet has absolutely nothing to do with the WC3 Pandaren Brewmaster. Unless you consider a drunken haze to be Inner Peace.

Bouncy: Some may have initially thought that this was some sort of reference to cuddly bears or something, but think back to how much bouncing around Po did and the actual source of the name becomes clear. This also has nothing to do with the hardy, drunken-brawling, never-falling WC3 Brewmaster.
    Ok first off, PANDAS LOVE TO EAT. They can eat 40lbs of bamboo a day http://www.wwf.com.cn/english/pandac...a_q_a/diet.htm convert 19kgs and you get around 40lbs. That isn't something Kung Fu Panda just came up with and also, Pandas tend to look fat so think about it for a moment.

Inner Piece, isn't just something that Kung Fu Panda CREATED. This is apart of the culture, especially with monks. This whole deal with innter piece has always been around.

Bouncy, yea ok, they took this from Kung Fu Panda or the Gummy Bears lol (the cartoon, not the snack). Lets be honest with ourselves, there is NO WAY they wouldn't borrow something from Kung Fu Panda, Blizzard always gets something from popular culture. This will get ZERO argument with me cause it is so obvious.

The biggest problem you have is that you have two places drawing from the same source USING the same thing. Of course things will be similar They can't take a Panda and make it a knight. First off, that is insulting to the Chinese which already had a problem when Blizzard had artwork and I guess a pandaren unit in WC3 that wore Japanese armor. The Pandaren monk is inspired by Chinese martial arts which Kung Fu is and it is a fact that pandas like to eat. Mix these all in and you can have 2 similar things kinda how Warhammer and WoW are similar, but not the same. I am expecting a few quests to references to Kung Fu Panda, but also reference other famous martial arts movies in general cause that is how Blizzard is. Basically a lot of what you pointed out, the source doesn't come from Kung Fu Panda.