Help Building new desktop machine

I'm looking to build a new set up. Starting mostly from scratch, will need all barebones parts. (already have mouse, keyboard)
    Budget roughly $1000

While I have been waiting for an updated systems build post on the front pages of MMO, I have not seen one in some time.
    Will purchase from newegg.

Focus is on gaming.

Thanks,

There are updated builds available here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

I'd personally recommend something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    MB: ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560ti
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500w
    CPUHS: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    CASE: Rosewill Challenger

Total: 791

Leaves room for a monitor and operating system.... also an optical disc drive if you need one and don't have an old computer you can salvage one from.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Moved to "Computer Build Help".

A few questions arise:
    - Do you have a monitor?
    - Do you have an OS (e.g. Windows 7)?
    - Do you have/need an ODD?

If you don't need the parts above you could go for the $1000 build in the sample list. It is very price-worthy with a 6970, and has nice upgrade potential. However, if you need both an OS and Monitor, you need to factor in those. A good monitor can be bought for around $170-200 and Windows goes for $100; i.e. you would need to go for something along the lines of the $750 build.

Further, you can check different cases here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4-Case-Catalog

I am so sorry, I honestly never saw the "computer build help" topic at the top, I blame temporary blindness. Thank you both for the tools and ideas. I will get working on a set up and see what I can put together, then post my build here for a secondary opinion.

The monitor I have not decided to buy one or not. I have a good monitor, but I will need to transfer the entire computer overseas, so may or may not use the one I have based on how well I think I can safely package it. I know that if I buy one new it will come decently packaged for travel and would only require a little additional work on my part to be ready for travel. I do however need windows 7. ODD like the monitor I may or may not opt for a new one, so also not a big concern, especially considering the price of them.

With the cheap price of ram, why do all the setups only go for 8gb vs 16gb?

10+ Year Old Account
    With 4GB being enough for most games, it's really a waste to get more than 8GB, unless you're into 3D rendering or video editing. If you're going to stay overseas for a long time, you can consider buying the monitor there. Also, if you're going for studies (or studying atm) you can get a free copy of windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    I am so sorry, I honestly never saw the "computer build help" topic at the top, I blame temporary blindness. Thank you both for the tools and ideas. I will get working on a set up and see what I can put together, then post my build here for a secondary opinion.

The monitor I have not decided to buy one or not. I have a good monitor, but I will need to transfer the entire computer overseas, so may or may not use the one I have based on how well I think I can safely package it. I know that if I buy one new it will come decently packaged for travel and would only require a little additional work on my part to be ready for travel. I do however need windows 7. ODD like the monitor I may or may not opt for a new one, so also not a big concern, especially considering the price of them.

With the cheap price of ram, why do all the setups only go for 8gb vs 16gb?
    By the time games can use more than 8gb of ram, you'll have to replace it with ddr4 ram anyways :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have 16 GB RAM. I am hardly able to use more than 4 GB during most typical use.
    Obtaining so much RAM was never quite intentional.

Have you checked if you can obtain Windows 7 cheap from any sources around you? College, work, friends, etc?