Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    To be honest it's entirely unnecessary and taken far too seriously by most people, unless you like nitpicking over pedantic, little things that don't matter in the long run.

If you need to "Analyze" logs to beat a boss, the chances you're just not good enough or simply need more practice. You get better through time and effort, not by looking at numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    To be honest it's entirely unnecessary and taken far too seriously by most people, unless you like nitpicking over pedantic, little things that don't matter in the long run.

If you need to "Analyze" logs to beat a boss, the chances you're just not good enough or simply need more practice. You get better through time and effort, not by looking at numbers.
    It's quite easy to tell you've never gone much further then that of your average PuG in terms of progression.

It takes all of like 2 minutes of 1 person's time to get the log for the night, and maybe 2-3 minutes to check a few important things (potion use) for a whole 10-man raid.

Anything more in-depth I just do for the hell of it, cause it's fun*.

Oh, and reaming that first hunter of ours who always swore he'd switch for face rage after checking logs (so glad we got rid of him), was fun. It's always nice to see (0 seconds) Rageface casts face rage, (6 seconds or so) Mage dies, (10 seconds) Failhunter casts Chimera shot. Also confirming for our mage that yes, indeed, it was the pally tank chucking balls at him all night. An entire log of "Pally tank casts Heavy Leather Ball at Mage" over and over was funny to look at, especially once myself, the mage, and the priest all got involved and started chucking them at eachother.

That said, it is completely unnecessary. We only started cause I felt like logging, and frankly the only two people who use them at all are myself and the priest healer. It's very rare we even bring it up in game.

*Your definition of "fun" may vary from mine, but I'm very much a numbers person .

Let us know when you get normal Rag down.

Does Elitist Jerks scare you off 'cause they're Elitist Jerks?

WoL is so much more then a DPS record. It's a tool to figure out why you just wiped to a boss. For instance, one of the melee in our group was claiming he was "stunning" on of the sons of flame on normal rag. Using WoL, we where able to determine he was full of shit and gkicked his lying ass.

Obvious troll is obvious. Go tell the top 20 guilds they aren't good enough and need more practice, because I'd be willing to be that every single one of them logs and analzes those logs. That isn't a coincidence by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is so much more data than just 'dps' on WoL, and if you don't realize that then you either:

a) Do well enough for your guild and do not seek personal improvement
    b) Have never realized you can find fault in OTHER peoples performance based on Cooldown usage, consumables, extra abilities, movement, damage taken and what is doing what to whom. Thus helping your entire group (aka: not the raid leader or his/her pet shouty person)
    c) Haven't actually looked through WoL properly

I can only imagine that is what it must be. If your guild is speeding through the heroic raids in 1-3 weeks and your group is a well oiled powerhouse then sure, WoL is utterly pointless as human error is just simply thus and cannot be improved upon anymore than just running at the boss full force again, but it is a far more indepth post-battle analysis tool than recount. It can still be subject to some recording faults but it's a must for any progression guild.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2011-10-24 at 07:46 PM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by detached View Post
    There is also another site that can take your WoL log and give you a nice overview about various things.

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ea48...000332#potions
    Wow, thanks for that
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Talking about "progression on farmed content" there is the "epeen bot" function from raidbots.com
    This tool enables anyone to easily track each player "progression" (if any) : boss by boss, spec by spec, week after week (for kills)

That's a pretty interesting thing if you want to check if anyone is slacking on farmed content. This can help "motivate" peolpe so you can spend 1h30 or 2h instead of 3 to 4h on farmed 6/7 before starting progression on h rag.
    Last edited by mmoc79483d36b0; 2011-10-25 at 02:30 PM.

WoL is to see if you get ranked among the big boys or not