Hate my new job, have no free time. Need advice

Heya all,

I started a job last week on wednesday working 8/10 hours monday to friday, and its on a morning and evening shift, but waking up at 4 in the morning to get ready and drive to work for 6 then work till 2 maybe 4 if overtime is required is painful, this is a massive difference to my previous 9-4/5 job that on the odd day may have finished at lunch time 12/1 so still having alot of free time left in the day, now moving onto the evening shift which is also really terrible, starting at 2pm till 10/12, if overtime is required then getting home and sleeping in till maybe 10 or 11, and not seeing any of my family just because im sleeping and then the cycle begins again, so im just abit unhappy with my current situation and i really dont want to tell my parents/boss that i want to quit because getting a job is really difficult and you should sorta just be glad u have what you have, but i dont enjoy it at all yet i know leaving would have such a massive negative impact..

Any ideas or help on what i could?

My fiance works shift work, right now Tuesday-Thursday 10PM to 7AM and Saturday and Sunday 4AM to 1PM. It is tough, but in all honesty a little inconvenience is much better than not having a job. My advice is to just make the best of it, look for new jobs if you are really that unhappy, but don't quit until you have a new job lined up.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laid eh View Post
    Heya all,

I started a job last week on wednesday working 8/10 hours monday to friday, and its on a morning and evening shift, but waking up at 4 in the morning to get ready and drive to work for 6 then work till 2 maybe 4 if overtime is required is painful, this is a massive difference to my previous 9-4/5 job that on the odd day may have finished at lunch time 12/1 so still having alot of free time left in the day, now moving onto the evening shift which is also really terrible, starting at 2pm till 10/12, if overtime is required then getting home and sleeping in till maybe 10 or 11, and not seeing any of my family just because im sleeping and then the cycle begins again, so im just abit unhappy with my current situation and i really dont want to tell my parents/boss that i want to quit because getting a job is really difficult and you should sorta just be glad u have what you have, but i dont enjoy it at all yet i know leaving would have such a massive negative impact..

Any ideas or help on what i could?
    I'm required to do 40 hours a week, anything over that is overtime. I've pushed 72 hours in a week before, I don't get paid time and a half or any of that nonsense I just get my normal rate flat out.
    Up at 5am, work for 6am, work until usually 6-7pm maybe even later than that. To be honest, you've got it easy compared to some people.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll adapt. Otherwise press for more stable hours.

Or look for a new job.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Don't sleep 10-12 hours a night and you'll have more free time. Most people function perfectly on 6 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Don't sleep 10-12 hours a night and you'll have more free time. Most people function perfectly on 6 hours.
    This.

I got 6-10 hours of school every day, need to spend lot of time on homework after, and I need my 100+ gaming hours throughout 2 weeks (bad habit) which is really alot, I fill them all in by cutting down to 5-6 hours of sleep.

Edit: not to mention girlfriend, cleaning up in the house etc.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    shouldnt you have discussed hours in the interview? so you knew what you was getting into.

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 12:28 AM ----------

also, i dont know where you're from, but in UK over time is optional, you dont have to accept it, so you could just decline it.

Well since you seem to be sleeping for around 12 hours maybe try cutting it back towards 8ish?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look for a better job, but you should have some free time with both those shifts. You only need 6-8 hours of sleep a night. 6-2 is a very manageable shift even if you wake up at 4 you could go to bed at 9 and have 7 hours to do whatever you want.

There's nothing wrong with quitting a job, if you already found a new job.
    So start searching, and don't quit until you find something better.