Post What can i get with $1000?

Most people i ask are telling me to build my own computer instead of buying prebuilt ones, im looking for a desktop thats capable of running WoW and
    starcraft 2 on maximum settings, I do not know alot about computers myself so im hoping someone can put a list of all the parts id need to buy.

Im not building the computer, one of my friends are.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I am guessing you want a nice list with all the parts needed right? Also, are you including the monitor, mouse, etc in that budget?
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Just a monitor now would be good i think im going to go with Platinus' List.

Deleted
    Is the monitor excluded in the price or do you want me to make a new list?

The HD on Plat's list Is sold out, so I'd replace It with a Western Digital Caviar Black 6.0Gb/s. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533

Also, you can change the case to your liking. Some people hate the look of the Phantom.

There's a sticky in the build help subforum with sample builds.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

I'd go a different way with it though:
    Asrock z68 PRO3 ($105)
    i5-2500k ($220)
    Hyper212+ ($26)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($65)
    2x4gb Corsair Vengeance Low Profile ($50)
    Antec Earthwatts 500w ($55 - $10 rebate)
    Rosewill Challenger ($50)
    Asus GTX 570 DCII ($358 - $30 rebate)
    Total: $889 after rebates. Enough to fit in Windows 7 and an ODD if necessary.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I excluded the monitor price but its not that big of a deal to me... I guess make if new list if you dont mind xD thanks again

For a monitor, If your not looking to spend all that much on a higher quality one, I'd go with the, Asus VH238H Black 23".
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236117

There's the same monitor that's 25" that also has a display port, for $80 more.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I would have to disagree with this.
    First of all, are you planning on overclocking? If not, don't get this build, because you don't want the 2500K processor.
    I would also go with a cheaper version of the GTX 560. Twin Frozr are known for its cooling, but if you don't plan on overclocking, that amount of cooling
    is overkill imo.

Also, the PSU for 650W is also a bit overkill, 550-600 should be more then enough, unless you plan to Crossfire/SLI in the future. Then go for 750 minimum.
    Last point, for 1000 dollar you can get a computer that can do alot more then just run SCII on max.

A 700 build would suffice for that.

Hope I helped

Deleted
    Moved to "Computer Build Help".

This is my $1000 sample build. Note this is without Windows and monitor/keyboard/mouse.
    Gaming 1000
    MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3$124.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB$54.99
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 6970$349.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$59.99
    PSU: Corsair CX600 V2$69.99
    Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+$27.99 Review
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922$89.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $998

Recommended for:
    Strong gaming build that will take care of
    most gaming needs. With a stronger PSU
    there is room for another GPU (SLI/CF).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Twin Frozr coolers are also known for silence. You don't need to overclock to know that not only does the stock cooler run quite loud,
    I have a Twin Frozr 5850, worst card I've ever seen. It literally screws itself up if you try to OC it even to the manufacturer-allowable parameters. The voltage controller in it's completely fucked, and decides to change its voltage back to 1.164V at random (Instantly crashing you if you have an OC). Artifacting and all sorts on anything but stock, even underclocks.

And since it works on stock settings (Which are pretty low for this card), it's not valid for a refund. Piece of shit card, all I get are "You should have gone for a stock".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneat View Post
    I have a Twin Frozr 5850, worst card I've ever seen. It literally screws itself up if you try to OC it even to the manufacturer-allowable parameters. The voltage controller in it's completely fucked, and decides to change its voltage back to 1.164V at random (Instantly crashing you if you have an OC). Artifacting and all sorts on anything but stock, even underclocks.

And since it works on stock settings (Which are pretty low for this card), it's not valid for a refund. Piece of shit card, all I get are "You should have gone for a stock".
    Atleast on the new generations of cards I havn't heard much complaints at all.

And Synthaxx pretty much summed up what I was gonna say to MythiaX.

Deleted
    I also have an i5 2500k + MSI 560 , and while I do agree that it's a great combo ( I really recomend the i5 2500k ) I do understand what MythiaX is saying here.

This is a great setup if you want to overclock and play with it , I have a noctua C14 on that i5 and it's a really nice setup but ...

If you are just buying and leaving it there , and only gaming with it , a setup with a lesser cpu and a better gpu would be nicer. I have at least 3 i5 2500k + noctua D14/C14 or CM 212 + gigabyte SOC or MSI TF III versions sold that are just sitting there ... at stock ... low temps .. but @ stock. In fact the cooler is there doing nothing , I could change their coolers to stock and they wouldn't notice unless they took a peek to the case.

If they went with a cheaper cpu ( expecially the AMD cheaper offers ) and invested more in the gpu ATI 6950 2gb ( modded ) or another high performance stock card ( not meant to be oc ) they would have spent allmost the same , and in gaming it would be better since they just turn it on , game and turn it off.

I also think it's a great setup , I had a lot of ppl talk about faulty MSI TF cards , I never had one come faulty , all had nice temps and no problems, only had 2 Zoltacs having troubles but I think it must have been something in the transport . They were replaced and had no problems since.

In no way I'm saying it's a bad setup , it's just that I understand what MythiaX is meaning with the overkill , it's a great setup , but if he's not planning on messing with it it's overkill

15+ Year Old Account
    You guys are missing the point. The cooling and silence that the Twin Frozr has is a huge selling point. Overclocking or not, I'll take a quiet card over a loud one.

The only "downgrade" he could do if he doesn't plan to overclock is i5 2500K -> i5 2500, saving him a grand total of $10-$15. Not worth it. Even if you don't plan to overclock at all, it's not worth it.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    For $1000 you should get something better than a 560 Ti anyway in my opinion. A 6970 or a 570 fits within the budget (unless you need Windows).

Gaming 1000
    MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3$124.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB$54.99
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 6970$349.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$59.99
    PSU: Corsair CX600 V2$69.99
    Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+$27.99 Review
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922$89.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $998

Recommended for:
    Strong gaming build that will take care of
    most gaming needs. With a stronger PSU
    there is room for another GPU (SLI/CF).

And for the record, I agree with Demon. You are not only getting an aftermarket cooler for OC:ing.