Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Not being in Beta, I can't say for sure how open PVP is going to work. Warhammer had some elements that created a great start for open warfare.

Additionally, it seems that the main story has somewhere over 200 hours of playtime. A quick search shows about 15 - 25 hours a week of average play time for the average player. At 20 hours... that's 2 and a half months of time for SWTOR to REALLY implement a rated system before the bulk of people are going to cry foul... realistically 3.5 months before people start to cry. When I say people... it's the masses (those not going nuts on forums)... that they should be basing their decisions on... not the extreme population.

These are rough figures that I'm sure plenty of you will take the time to show are wrong, but my point is... we aren't going to all jump in ready for level 50 competitive pvp on day one. All of us are going to play, learn, evolve, and adapt as we progress through the game. Bioware is going to evaluate how we interact with the game, and further evolve a system i am confident is already somewhat in the works, even if just in blueprint form. Six months may be a bit much, but 3 months isn't unreasonable. By 6 months, I'm hoping for 3 more flashpoints, 2 more operations, another warzone, and maybe a fun end game non-combat activity. I doubt I'll get all of this, but I know Bioware isn't a company who is going to sit back and hope things just work.

Waiting to add in rated Warzones post launch was the best decision they could make.

Why? Because just like every MMO release once you have millions of people playing the live game, balance issues are going to arise and have to be fixed.

The beginning of a new MMO is always a learning experience, no matter how much testing you do, when millions of people start playing with specs/comps/abilities there are bound to be some balance issues that arise especially in PvP.

So what do you do? You have a balancing patch a couple months after launch -1.X where no doubt certain classes/abilities will get hit with the nerf bat because they are unbalanced.

Then you patch in the promised rated Warzones when the majority of the player base is level 50 or nearing. It gives another aspect to end game content and since balance issues have been addressed players can start the rated warzones without possible huge balance issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    So you realize that WoW was released with a total of zero warzones/bg's/arenas. WSG was like patch 1.8 or something. Now obviousy people have come to expect PvP scenarios in a game that competes with WoW - but expecting an MMO like SWTOR that has an emphasis on the RPG to release with 6 BG's - 4 or 5 arena maps and a competitive ladder on release is unrealistic. In fact, it's undesirable.

It would be better for them to spend their pre-release development time on creating compelling story and a strong backbone for PvP (including a few maps) and then release new PvP content later. I'd rather them do a moderate amount of (PvP) content REALLY WELL than a release a bunch of crappy PvP content on Dec. 20.
    I do realize that wow released without BG's. I also realize that was 7 years ago, and BW is not competing with vanilla wow, but with wow at the time being. Also I don't really think wow is a good example to base competitive pvp on
    The fact of the matter is, sweater pvp doesn't look like it'll be enough for the e-sports people among us, at least at launch.

Which is why i'll focus on the pve side and play other games for pvp
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

I cant wait to pvp and check out the gear you get I hope it'll be really cool looking not like someother games.
    Signature by Eruionmel!

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've played, PvP is really fun. It will be more of a boredom time sink though for me, rather than my main focus.

In my opinion the main reason people are uneased with no "competitive" pvp off the bat is Rift. Rift told us "no not now, but just hang in there. We have competitive pvp, dont worry, we promise". BAM. 1 million people buy the game, and realize they were trolling us....

Im fine with them not having competitive pvp off the bat for maybe....4 months? maybe? doubt it will be that long.

IF people knew FOR SURE that it was coming. And it wasnt a chance, more people would be into it prolly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Waiting to add in rated Warzones post launch was the best decision they could make.

Why? Because just like every MMO release once you have millions of people playing the live game, balance issues are going to arise and have to be fixed.

The beginning of a new MMO is always a learning experience, no matter how much testing you do, when millions of people start playing with specs/comps/abilities there are bound to be some balance issues that arise especially in PvP.

So what do you do? You have a balancing patch a couple months after launch -1.X where no doubt certain classes/abilities will get hit with the nerf bat because they are unbalanced.

Then you patch in the promised rated Warzones when the majority of the player base is level 50 or nearing. It gives another aspect to end game content and since balance issues have been addressed players can start the rated warzones without possible huge balance issues.
    This makes perfect sense to me. In my opinion if competetive pvp was added at the start you would have a section of the player base rush there way to 50 and start with a hard grind to try and gain an advantage over the rest of the players who could just as well be very good pvpers, but want to enjoy the story. Giving 3 Months or so for everybody to get a grip on there class, gameplay, storys, BALANCING, is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I do realize that wow released without BG's. I also realize that was 7 years ago, and BW is not competing with vanilla wow, but with wow at the time being. Also I don't really think wow is a good example to base competitive pvp on
    The fact of the matter is, sweater pvp doesn't look like it'll be enough for the e-sports people among us, at least at launch.

Which is why i'll focus on the pve side and play other games for pvp
    I agree...we shouldn't compare SWTOR PvP to WoW PvP or hold up WoW as the paragon of what PvP should be like. There are many people who will complain about WoW PvP being bad: no skill required, boring arenas matches, noobs in bg's, seesaw attempts at class balancing etc. Then there are plenty of people who really like WoW PvP. Personally, I tried GW:1 PvP after hearing "how much better it is compared to WoW....only to find it really really bad (imho) and ran back to WoW PvP with all it's flaws.

In the end, it's going to be a personal choice. Some may really like SWTOR PvP...others will find it lacking.

I like your final solution though - play game A for what it does best and game B for other things it does well. Maybe we should all stop expecting ONE game to do EVERYTHING we like and selectively choose what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by nelly676 View Post
    In my opinion the main reason people are uneased with no "competitive" pvp off the bat is Rift. Rift told us "no not now, but just hang in there. We have competitive pvp, dont worry, we promise". BAM. 1 million people buy the game, and realize they were trolling us....

Im fine with them not having competitive pvp off the bat for maybe....4 months? maybe? doubt it will be that long.

IF people knew FOR SURE that it was coming. And it wasnt a chance, more people would be into it prolly.
    Competitive PvP existing or not, Rift simply dropped the ball on PvP and said were going to focus on PvE.

There were soooooo many specs in Rift, and so many different choices you could make spec wise that balancing it in PvP without totally breaking PvE would be a nightmare.

Not to mention if you wanted to PvP at 50 you basically had to get totally and utterly annihilated for a couple weeks until you ranked up to get gear to compensate.

I would hope that BW see the mistakes of its predecessors and learns from them.

Make abilities work differently in PvP vs Pve (Done!)
    Stay away from small scale deathmatch ranked PvP with ridiculous rewards. (Hope)
    Implement rated warzones after classes have been balanced and large % of player base is 50 (Hope)
    Keep the gear inflation down to keep newer players competitive (Hope)