Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2 system req + How will my computer run it

Hey guys, i know a good bit about computers but i not enough sadly....

I was not able to find any system requirements for GW2, and i dont have any hands on experience with the game, soo will my setup allow me to run GW2 with relatively high settings, and if not on Ultra settings what would i need to change?

Intel i7 920 at 2.67 ghz Quad core
    Ati Radeon HD 5870 GPU
    10 GB RAM

Thnx in advance !

I'm pretty sure your computer is more than enough to handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thnx for the quick reply..... makes me feel a whole lot better lol....!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just barely(as in sunday the 23rd) got a new 600w powersupply and a XFX Radeon HD 6750, I unfortunately only have 4GB, but I can have as high as 16GB, so I might expand in the future AND I just got my new computer on the 21st of September this year! So i am super excited! It runs WoW more then wonderfully, and am hoping it runs GW2 amazingly well!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can some1 explain to me how power supply affects my gaming?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    If it's not big enough you'll be looking at a blank screen

Deleted
    Hey guys, i know a good bit about computers but i not enough sadly....

I was not able to find any system requirements for GW2, and i dont have any hands on experience with the game, soo will my setup allow me to run GW2 with relatively high settings, and if not on Ultra settings what would i need to change?

Intel i7 920 at 2.67 ghz Quad core
    Ati Radeon HD 5870 GPU
    10 GB RAM

Thnx in advance !
    You'll be running it at very high settings if not max, in most cases. Hard to say 100% of the time, since WvW will be a beast for any machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    for the most part, the higher the wattage, the better graphics card you can use..that counts for GB room as well.

Well, it has a few minimal advantages.

A good power supply can be more efficient in converting DC into AC and cost you less in the electricity bill. Not having enough wattage can cause system problems, such as lock ups and not even booting.

With the PC you have, you should be more than smart enough to add the wattage of each device and then add about 20% more to the total wattage for your power supply.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalla View Post
    I just barely(as in sunday the 23rd) got a new 600w powersupply and a XFX Radeon HD 6750, I unfortunately only have 4GB, but I can have as high as 16GB, so I might expand in the future AND I just got my new computer on the 21st of September this year! So i am super excited! It runs WoW more then wonderfully, and am hoping it runs GW2 amazingly well!
    4GB should be enough for playing Guild Wars 2. RAM does not improve performance a great lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    With the PC you have, you should be more than smart enough to add the wattage of each device and then add about 20% more to the total wattage for your power supply.
    Also while the 20% headroom rule is a good starting point also remember that more wattage does not hurt. You want that 20% headroom over the requirements of your componants to cover spike usage where one componant may draw more for a few moments and inadvertantly starve another causeing a system crash. However if you only budget for that 20% of headroom it could turn into only 10% if you upgrade your vid card in 6 months. I picked up a 750W suply several years ago when I built my current PC and I expect to still use it for at least 1 more compleat rebuild upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    4GB should be enough for playing Guild Wars 2. RAM does not improve performance a great lot.
    it can if you have much else runing in the background, depends on your OS as well. I'm runing 4gigs as well on win7 and windows idles at between 40-50% ram used, up in the high 80's with wow going. Does not take all that much to peg the meter and start takeing a performance hit from there. So yes it will improve performance if your system is geting bottlenecked on the ram. We dont have system spec's yet for GW2 comparied to wow so its anybody's guess how much ram is enough.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-10-26 at 05:13 AM.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I picked up a 750W suply several years ago when I built my current PC and I expect to still use it for at least 1 more compleat rebuild upgrade.
    Power supply's are the one item you can use build after build if you get a decent one

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Power supply's are the one item you can use build after build if you get a decent one
    ya just dont get a bargin basement deal, there's normaly a reason its cheep. If you find say 2 different 700w power supplies, one for $100 the other for $50 (numbers out my ass dont quote em) dont be surprised of the 50$ one craps out after a year or two. Make sure you get one from a brand known for their quality even if its slightly more expensive.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    ya just dont get a bargin basement deal, there's normaly a reason its cheep. If you find say 2 different 700w power supplies, one for $100 the other for $50 (numbers out my ass dont quote em) dont be surprised of the 50$ one craps out after a year or two. Make sure you get one from a brand known for their quality even if its slightly more expensive.
    There's also usually a lot more connectors on the higher-quality ones, the voltage is more stable, and most importantly their efficiency in converting from AC to DC is higher; the better the efficiency the more you save in your electricity bill over time. Even 5% difference in a device that can draw as much as 750 watts from the network and that is likely powered-on closer to a quarter of the whole year, well, that is quite a lot.

That said, I need to upgrade my own PC. I've noticed that I'm never actually using all 4 cores, at most they're all churning at around 35%, whereas my current GTX 460 is hovering constantly at 98%. Thought about getting myself a GTX 580, but then I need to get a PSU, too :/ I _could_ always just lower the resolution to get a few more FPS out of my current one, but.... who wants to play at anything less than full 1080p reso?

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    There's also usually a lot more connectors on the higher-quality ones, the voltage is more stable, and most importantly their efficiency in converting from AC to DC is higher; the better the efficiency the more you save in your electricity bill over time. Even 5% difference in a device that can draw as much as 750 watts from the network and that is likely powered-on closer to a quarter of the whole year, well, that is quite a lot.

That said, I need to upgrade my own PC. I've noticed that I'm never actually using all 4 cores, at most they're all churning at around 35%, whereas my current GTX 460 is hovering constantly at 98%. Thought about getting myself a GTX 580, but then I need to get a PSU, too :/ I _could_ always just lower the resolution to get a few more FPS out of my current one, but.... who wants to play at anything less than full 1080p reso?
    I'm assuming you have SLI compatibility, maybe SLI two 460's together (depending on price; I'm an ATI guy so not up to date on nVidia's prices)? Of course, this also could require another PSU, in which case going the single 580 would probably be better long run, as you could then SLI two 580's later down the road and extend your computer life timeframe that much more.

More OT: I know the guildwars dev's and others involved in the production of the game have said they want the game to be able to run on older computers. I'm assuming that they are, to an extent, following one of WoW's examples of opening the game to lots of variations of specs. I would highly suspect that anything i5/i7 and graphics wise 230+/4xxx series will be fine. It may not be on Ultra settings, but who cares about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragonwolf View Post
    I'm assuming you have SLI compatibility, maybe SLI two 460's together (depending on price; I'm an ATI guy so not up to date on nVidia's prices)? Of course, this also could require another PSU, in which case going the single 580 would probably be better long run, as you could then SLI two 580's later down the road and extend your computer life timeframe that much more.
    Indeed. I too considered SLI, but if I gotta get a new PSU anyways then it's simply easier to just buy a new graphics card at the same time, it'll be expensive enough of a package to net a small price cut. I doubt I'll be needing a new CPU for a good while and I've got 8 gigabytes of RAM, too, so I'm all set in that department for now. The only thing I could think of getting then is an SSD and slap GW2 there for really short loading-times.

More OT: I know the guildwars dev's and others involved in the production of the game have said they want the game to be able to run on older computers. I'm assuming that they are, to an extent, following one of WoW's examples of opening the game to lots of variations of specs. I would highly suspect that anything i5/i7 and graphics wise 230+/4xxx series will be fine. It may not be on Ultra settings, but who cares about that.
    RAM is probably the only thing older machines may struggle with as GW2 simply is so chock full of stuff. I assume 2 gigabytes will be more-or-less the minimum.

If that dosnt run it on high, then not many computer will run it at all

Think you will be fine

BTW there is a thread about this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...emands-for-GW2
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

10+ Year Old Account
    I am gonna buy a gaming computer soon when I get enough money, so I am posting this here It is the computer I am saving for.
    The PC is a desktop and is called Mighty Shark Sandybridge Edition.
    I am gonna make sure that I can run GW2 and other games on best quality! And I am HOPELESS in the computer business.
    MB: Some of the words are in danish, because it's from a danish site.

2 x Geforce GTX 560 (SLI)

Intel i7-2600 (SANDYBRIDGE)
    4 x 3.40Ghz (3.80Ghz Turbo!), 8 MB L2.

8 GB VENGEANCE/HYPERX DDR3 1866 MHz
    DUAL CHANNEL, Ultra fast RAM!

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer kabinet

Corsair TX 850 W PSU

MSI P67A-GD65 bundkort

Samsung 1000 GB Harddisk
    7200 rpm

Samsung DVD-Brænder
    DVD-RW 22x

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    i used to think i had an awesome computer until i saw this thread..