Saving the True Community

@Mods and the rest of the community.

When I first visited MMO Champion, I found it a wonderful source of information with a thriving friendly community. I would go and click some of the forum topics each day and read some of the best ones. I enjoyed reading about all kinds of stuff, not just WoW related. It entertained me.

However, as the days progress, people stop playing WoW and they start complaining about change in the game.
    Nowadays, when I visit the homepage, click on the topics, every day I am faced with the same topics complaining about stuff that hasn't even been released yet and people saying "Oh! This MMO is going to be better!", "WoW is boring and childish!", "<this mmo> is gonna kill WoW", etc. You all know what I mean… we've all seen it hundreds of times here…

Problem with this is:
    People start to think that everyone is opposed to something in WoW -> They start complaining about stuff they complained about (even it it doesn't affect them much) -> Recent Forum Posts gets filled with hate -> more people hate -> the cycle continues… and there becomes more and more of it!

To be honest, I think the majority still play WoW on the forum and I find it unfair for people who actually enjoy the game and want to participate in one of the biggest WoW communities out there, to be faced with this repetitive amount of complaint about pretty much everything. It has pretty much has already torn the community apart. When I visit the site now… most of what I read is people complaining, which doesn't particularly entertain me or make anyone feel good. Most of the stuff that people say on the site, is also echoed through trade chat on my server… and I am constantly faced with this hate I do not wish to hear. I want to hear good stuff!

If people keep being told something is bad, they start to believe it is bad (even if it isn't that bad) - psychology for ya all.

Now you may be thinking… yea, but what can we do about it?

@Community - I urge you all to try post something constructive and please be nice to people… I can't believe how some people talk to each other when they have the opposite opinion.
    Stop posting threads and stop repeating "<this mmo> is going to kill WoW", all this crap about Blizzard annual sub and showing that WoW is desperate (because it is not) and even if you do post it, this "WoW Community" I'm sure, would not like to hear it. It is not dying, because it is still within around the top 10% of subscribers it has ever had, no way near dying and is it even worth talking about whether it is going to die? You can't tell anyway until something happens!
    Also about the new expansion, why so much complaint over it being childish because a panda is in it… you serious? It's just an animal, like a Worgen, but with white stripes as well (but not like a Zebra!). There is no need to even discuss this… please, leave it, we've all read it over 1000 times and been told it in game like 300 times!

@Admins+Mods - Any chance that these kind of threads can get deleted or hidden from the homepage or be stopped completely? ( <-- this prob unlikely) Or if you got some better idea? Otherwise the only way I think will work is by urging the community itself. Might start to make people feel a bit better about WoW and make people be a bit more positive.

I hope people understand the point I am trying to make. I don't believe I am that good at explaining it, but I will try to get a community back on track with a positive attitude, no matter what! I hope people get together and try do something good!

15+ Year Old Account
    I know it can get a little tiring to read that sort of thing, but realistically, the forum is here to discuss all aspects of the game, not just the happy ones.

If there are topics which can't provoke any sort of nice discussion (just pure flaming/whining with no discussion value), report it and we'll take care of it. The same goes if there's flaming or game vs. game threads.

We do our best to keep the forum an open forum for constructive discussion on all sides while still avoiding the massive QQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I know it can get a little tiring to read that sort of thing, but realistically, the forum is here to discuss all aspects of the game, not just the happy ones.

If there are topics which can't provoke any sort of nice discussion (just pure flaming/whining with no discussion value), report it and we'll take care of it. The same goes if there's flaming or game vs. game threads.

We do our best to keep the forum an open forum for constructive discussion on all sides while still avoiding the massive QQ.
    Ok thanks for quick reply.

I understand how hard it is for you to moderate such large forums. I also understand some stuff I said above is almost completely one sided, I do agree that some negative things should be discussed, but not when it cannot end in a result or progress any further.

What can I report in these kind of situations? As in, can I report threads which basically talk about the same topic (such as "WoW is dying")? If there are loads of them for instance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam552 View Post
    What can I report in these kind of situations? As in, can I report threads which basically talk about the same topic (such as "WoW is dying")? If there are loads of them for instance.
    Duplicate threads are certainly something you can report. Also look out for people flaming, trolling or baiting people into fights etc. Basically, report anything that you think crosses the line. Just don't report people for having a different opinion than you.

For a complete list check out the Forum FAQ: http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Duplicate threads are certainly something you can report. Also look out for people flaming, trolling or baiting people into fights etc. Basically, report anything that you think crosses the line. Just don't report people for having a different opinion than you.

For a complete list check out the Forum FAQ: http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php
    Thanks ^^.
    Yeh I would obviously not report people for having a different opinion Would take forever xD

I see some threads which basically are talking about the same thing:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-is-successful...
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1007597-SWTOR-/-WoW

Pretty much same thing, but in different contexts - both about how WoW loses subs. Does that count as a duplicate?
    This is the kind of thing that dominates the Recent Forum Posts part, because people post the same thing but in different ways (use above as example).

15+ Year Old Account
    Those particular ones are different because they're in different forums and therefore approaching the discussion from a different angle. If those were in the same forum, it might be a case of duplicate; it depends on exact situation.

You're always welcome to report if you think it's possibly a duplicate; just say that in the report and a mod will make a decision on how to handle it.