Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Guild wars 2 or TERA online?

Okay so I'm excited about both Tera online and Guild Wars 2. However, I don't think I wish to play both at once. I was curious about people's thoughts on both games.
    Please don't get hateful or whatever, I just want to see what other think about both.
    Raaaa!

Deleted
    gw2 is the clearly winner. everything looks soooo sweet!

I do LOVE the graphics, both are gorgeous though. ;P
    Raaaa!

Deleted
    Something about Tera gives me a dry taste in my mouth; it just doesn't do it for me. It may be the fact that they have that little girl-looking race, which runs around with weapons as if they were made out of foam, and turns gear into, well, bathing suits. Very revealing ones at that.
    Also, from what I've heard, it'll *focus* on grinding experience and other things (grinding as in killing mobs for long periods of time), and that doesn't seem too appealing to me.

I've been trying to tell myself that GW2 is going to suck, but the only thing I can focus on is that the races are a little too uninteresting, while not really bad or lame in any way. That and the fact that abilities and attacks cleave (attack more targets) if enemies are within range, which I think will cause some issues.

I'll try GW2, I won't try Tera.

Guild Wars 2, guild wars 1 was just too good :P

Try to ask this question on Tera forums. The answer will be Tera.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibly View Post
    Guild Wars 2, guild wars 1 was just too good :P
    I did not like GW1, I'm going to try GW2 because of what I've seen from the game, coupled with the fact that ArenaNet are experienced MMO developers.
    GW1 was not a good MMO in my eyes (or a good game) but I know others will disagree with me, and that's cool, I won't use my opinions as facts and act like a dick about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    Something about Tera gives me a dry taste in my mouth; it just doesn't do it for me. It may be the fact that they have that little girl-looking race, which runs around with weapons as if they were made out of foam, and turns gear into, well, bathing suits. Very revealing ones at that.
    I know those kinds of things tend to attract males, but even though I'm into girls myself too I just find those kinds of things really annoying; a sizzling hot babe with huge bouncy boobs killing supervillains/3-story high monsters/etc. while wearing chainmail g-strings just doesn't quite get along well with my taste..

In other words atleast I will stay away from Tera.

Deleted
    i will buy gw2 as its not subscription based i can always go back to it if i please.
    but i'll go for tera

Deleted
    well ...

Tera Online:
    Typically Asian style MMO. Races sometimes look fluffy (like from an anime or mange) and they carry weapons, even a D3 Barbarian couldn't handle but that's the japanese style ...
    In Tera Online there is no "click a creature to target it" ... so also no Hit rating (or similar). You have to center your screen to the enemy creature and cast / act your spells and attacks. if your character (in melee) stands in front of the enemy and the weapon swing "hits" the creatures model, it will hit and deal dmg ...
    similar it is with casts: if you center correctly, your cast will hit the enemy, but it also might miss the creature if you don't focus good enough.
    that way the makers of Tera want to put more focus on skill than on stats (equipment).
    All in all Tera Online looks great. Landscapes, Monsters and so on are done lovingly. Well the Races might not be everyones taste, so will the concept style.
    The fighting system clearly is different to most MMOs making it a game worth trying, just to see if the innovation was a good one.

Guild Wars 2:
    it's predecessor Guild Wars already was kind of a success. From Guild Wars 2 you might expect even more.
    Here the graphics are much reality based, trying to give you a more "this is real" feeling than e.g. Tera Online would.
    Guild Wars 2 focuses alot on the war between factions (so not much big bosses aso).
    What i've read so far about the game (and it wasn't much) you will be able to conquer (by doing quests e.g.) other villages and thus making it a base for your faction ... then you have to do quests to prevent another faction from taking the village from you.
    All in all GW2 sounds like a lot of actionfilled fun. it might not be as fast paced as Tera seems to be but i think it is more suitable for the European Market (concerning concept and style).

In the end it's hard to say which game is better ... depends alot on what you prefer.

Another game you might want to take a look at:

Arche Age: http://archeage-online.com/

Hope this helps a little

lg
    Tobi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I know those kinds of things tend to attract males, but even though I'm into girls myself too I just find those kinds of things really annoying; a sizzling hot babe with huge bouncy boobs killing supervillains/3-story high monsters/etc. while wearing chainmail g-strings just doesn't quite get along well with my taste..

I'm a dude myself, and I only find that kind of thing repulsing, seeing as the characters the race offers are basically kids, by the looks of it, sporting huge tits and clothes fitting for an erotic dancer.

Forgive me for stating my opinion, but I think the only males attracted by that are either young, or.. well.. borderline pedophiles.

Deleted
    Between the two, GW2 is the clearcut winner in my eyes.

I just hope that the new rolesystem will ACTUALLY work.

Thanks a lot Tobi, that really helped, and I'll be sure to look at that other game.
    Raaaa!

This is a very simple answer, we have no idea.You see tera was released in asia a few months ago but not here, why? they are revamping the hole game for the western market so really till beta we dont no what tera will be like we just dont have the info and if we did , the forums and youtube vids are packed with the asia verision of which this one could be and hopefully will be so much different.

But tbh i dont think therell be a clear winner, teras combat looks better, guild wars 2 questing and events is unparralled, really itll be up to you

Deleted
    Have you seen the female running animations in TERA? Bwahaha! Yeah, really bad.

I've seen short videos of TERA's combat and character creation. While it seems quite dynamic and interesting, it is a bit too over the top for my taste. Yeah, i know Guild Wars 2 has some over-the-top spell animations aswell, but it's not as much as in Tera.
    Saw an archer charge-up attack that flashes to brightly, that half your screen goes white.
    This is by no means bad, don't get me wrong. Some people love such effects, and there's nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand Guild Wars as a universe has an established storyline, that - might i say - is bloody brilliant! I don't know anything about Tera's story so i'm not too hyped about it. /"0mg such l0lrpnerd"/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post

Lol I may be one of the only straight guys out there that shares your opinion on that xD

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 08:34 AM ----------

Idk why, but Tera just kinda looked a bit meh to me, it may have just been the artwork though cause te combat looked entertaining to say the least...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    well ...

Tera Online:
    Typically Asian style MMO. Races sometimes look fluffy (like from an anime or mange) and they carry weapons, even a D3 Barbarian couldn't handle but that's the japanese style ...
    In Tera Online there is no "click a creature to target it" ... so also no Hit rating (or similar). You have to center your screen to the enemy creature and cast / act your spells and attacks. if your character (in melee) stands in front of the enemy and the weapon swing "hits" the creatures model, it will hit and deal dmg ...
    similar it is with casts: if you center correctly, your cast will hit the enemy, but it also might miss the creature if you don't focus good enough.
    that way the makers of Tera want to put more focus on skill than on stats (equipment).
    All in all Tera Online looks great. Landscapes, Monsters and so on are done lovingly. Well the Races might not be everyones taste, so will the concept style.
    The fighting system clearly is different to most MMOs making it a game worth trying, just to see if the innovation was a good one.
    After watching some videos of Tera, it reminds me a LOT of Vindictus.. except with a hotbar instead of just click to attack. The graphics look nice, and the enemies definitely have attacks that are clear about where they are going to attack so you can attempt to dodge. I haven't done any real research other than looking at the main website for it, as well as the videos on YouTube and Betacake.. but I'm not totally sold that Tera will be as fun as GW2. At least for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to center your screen to the enemy creature and cast/act your spells and attacks.
    I'm not trying Tera.

I visited Tera's site and went to their FAQ about them: http://www.tera-online.com/content/faq

When I did I was curious about their company Bluehole Studio. They list in text the site to click is www.bluehole.net but ironically the link takes you to www.bluehole.com which is a domain name up for sale. You'd think they'd not make that sort of mistake :P.

Its a Korean company(which makes sense when you see the details on the game).

Overall, Im not really impressed and will give it a miss.