Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Minecraft free to play?

Its so popular , which baffles me cause I think the graphics are bad, but I'm willing to try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowismyhobby View Post
    Its so popular , which baffles me cause I think the graphics are bad, but I'm willing to try it out.
    Not really sure what the point of this post is.

-Minecraft is not free to play.

-Video games don't need good graphics to be good, you play WoW, you should know that. :]

Because something is popular means it should go Free to Play? If Minecraft did for some reason, how would it make money? Also, did you just say you don't understand how a game is popular when the graphics are bad?

All you have to do is buy the game (21 USD I think) and then you don't have to pay anything else.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you hate the default graphics, get a HD texture pack.

Deleted
    i think the very old classic is available to play through www.minecraft.net but i not sure if they took that down or not but u can only do it singleplayer in "creative" mode so you get none of the exploration and only the original blocks so no nether etc.

The OP confuses me, but I think he's asking if he can try out Minecraft somewhere...
    If that's the case, OP, you can go to www.Minecraft.net and play a very old version of Minecraft. It's version 0.30 Alpha, while the current version is 1.8.1 Beta (if you don't count the 1.9 Pre-Release 4 version).
    Minecraft has improved incredibly much since the 0.30 Alpha version.

Also, did you just say a game with bad graphics must be bad? o.O
    Minecraft's graphics is part of its charm... I wouldn't want it any other way, because then it wouldn't really be Minecraft.
    When you've bought the game, you can easily get new graphics (Still in the same style... Kinda).. You just find a texture pack online, download it and place it in your Minecraft folder. It's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

The minecraft free alpha is a good way to get the feel of the controls. If you enjoy the building aspect of that, I'm sure you'll find the full game worth it.

remember, buying the game now is cheaper, a one off payment, AND you get all the future additions to the game free (next patch is dragons, alchemy, and enchanting!). that's not even counting player-made content like custom maps and mods. I've always liked those, and people are always making more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowismyhobby View Post
    graphics mean nothing... my god this generation of gamers is disgusting, basing their purchases just on graphics....

im sure all the games you think have good graphics pale in comparison gameplay wise to many older games
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2011-10-28 at 12:41 AM.

try the classic free to play one on their website.

otherwise it's cheap enough and it's a one time cost

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    honestly i don't find the graphics bad it's just everythng is square but besides that with the right texture packs you can get a really clean and sharp look
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    you get all the future additions to the game free.
    Actually, this isn't in the agreement anymore, as of when it went into Beta (from Alpha).

Quote Originally Posted by Pythagoreant View Post
    Actually, this isn't in the agreement anymore, as of when it went into Beta (from Alpha).
    well I didn't have to pay for the last several patches of new stuff he added since I bought the game(i think i bought it 1.6ish and it's 1.8.1 now?), all I heard was he *might* charge for expansions if he decides to make new content in that design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    tbh my minecraft looks better than my wow does, its all about making the look you want really.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    well I didn't have to pay for the last several patches of new stuff he added since I bought the game(i think i bought it 1.6ish and it's 1.8.1 now?), all I heard was he *might* charge for expansions if he decides to make new content in that design.
    After Minecraft is live and Notch releases a huge expansion pack, you won't get that for free but I will because I bought it during alpha.

That's what it means to get future updates for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythagoreant View Post
    I bought minecraft at 1.8.1 release (newbie) and I was met with this phrase on payment, I believe it is still active.

It took a bit to dig it up but I found a quote from Notch's blog (2010)

"We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
    Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free."

I bought mine May 28, 2011 so I'm SOL, but I was sure I read something about free updates when I bought it.
    I found the line that many, including me, read/remember wrong.
    "First and foremost you get access to the full game as well as every future version until the release."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShetiPhian View Post

"We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
    Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free."

I bought mine May 28, 2011 so I'm SOL, but I was sure I read something about free updates when I bought it.
    "First and foremost you get access to the full game as well as every future version until the release."
    I doubt Notch will make us pay for updates to the game like 4.3 is to WoW, but they have confirmed that we will pay for expansions. Let's hope these expansions don't come out every month.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShetiPhian View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wolfbane View Post
    I doubt Notch will make us pay for updates to the game like 4.3 is to WoW, but they have confirmed that we will pay for expansions. Let's hope these expansions don't come out every month.

why do people misquote him? it clearly says you will get everything but content patches bug patches will always be free
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    why do people misquote him? it clearly says you will get everything but content patches bug patches will always be free
    It could mean a lot of things, a lot of different money making schemes, or a whole lot of nothing, until he actually starts charging for anything more than the actual game.