Poll: Butter, or Spread?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Country Crock is pretty tasty, though it's neither butter or margarine.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinsteiger View Post
    fat food?
    Everything in moderation.

Butter is better.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossmantle View Post
    Butter is better.
    A man after my own heart.

And no processed cheese, either. It's real or nothing at all.

Deleted
    Butter, always, everywhere, forever.
    =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Baked potato + real butter.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

All spread is fat. Oil is fat, just unsaturated fat.

Butter does have more saturated fat, but it is not the same kind of saturated fat you find in stuff like beef or pork. The saturated fat has short fatty acid chains, which make it easier for your body to break down. That is why the fat in butter does NOT cause HDL cholesterol, which is the "bad" cholesterol (unless in high amounts, which is true of everything). In addition, butter has significant amounts of protein and vitamin A. Butter is among the top 5 best sources of vitamin A, which includes things like liver.

Compared to butter flavored spreads, butter is extremely healthy. Most spreads are just vegetable oil turned solid. The way they do this is through a process called hydrolysis, basically adding hydrogen to the fat so that the fatty acid chains straighten out, and stay solid at room temperature. This makes unsaturated fat spreadable just like saturated fat, but since it comes from a healthy source, it must be better for you right? Completely wrong. Trans fat (yup, margarine is literally a tub of trans fat) is very bad for you. The simple explanation is that our bodies were designed to process natural things like butter, and not the unnatural stuff like "vegetable spreads".

Some spreads don't technically contain trans fats anymore. This makes me really suspicious. I mean, what kind of chemistry wizardry did they have to concoct to create this stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely despise any type of butter unless it is on toast or something warm, such as crumpets (how stereotypical) and has melted. The texture of non melted, cold butter makes me feel sick lol. But, Real Butter > Spread
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-10-27 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont use butter or spread at all
    - be3f

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    I absolutely despise any type of butter unless it is on toast or something warm, such as crumpets (how stereotypical) and has melted. The texture of non melted, cold butter makes me feel sick lol. But, Real Butter > Spread
    Well nobody really sits there and eats cold, hard butter anyway. But fresh, soft, warm creamy butter spread on crackers is to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    And no processed cheese, either. It's real or nothing at all.
    On the fence about the butter versus spread issue, but I'm definitely with you on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    organic butter from happy cows in maine....yup i like my food happy before i eat it

edit: well i know no one dies in the process of getting butter but ...you know what i mean ...right?
    Last edited by Osyrus; 2011-10-28 at 01:05 AM.

I can't understand how anyone can eat spread on anything. It tastes so strange.
    I've been addicted to Lurpak for years. I can tell the difference, even if it's used for cooking.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Butter, son.

Vegan smart balance!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I eat butter, even though I'm dieting. I just watch how much I use. I don't know if its a food "urban myth" or real fact but several years ago, my mother in law sent me one of those forwarded emails about margarine pretty much being plastic. Plastic or no, I've never liked the flavor and have always preferred butter.

Real butter for the win! (Real cheese, too!) There's a huge difference in taste, in my opinion.

I use spreadable butter for things like toast/bagels and stick butter for baking/cooking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Well nobody really sits there and eats cold, hard butter anyway. But fresh, soft, warm creamy butter spread on crackers is to die for.
    Well i kinda meant on Sandwiches and stuff, that is cold butter, or more like non melted and it is on solid form. The bold text also repulses me. I like the flavour and only the flavour of Butter, it has to be near liquid for me to even contemplate eating it on/with anything.
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-10-28 at 01:50 AM.

Don't really know what you mean =/

I just know that the butter that comes in tubs is usually much worse than the butter that comes in wrapping