Does Anyone Here Play Runes Of Magic?

If so whats your thoughts about the game?

Ive been playing it off and on for over a year now. I hate it when it comes to end game but the features keep me coming back. The duel class system, you can edit the look of your gear (color your gear and mounts). I mean it has its pros and cons certainly but for it to be F2P, its the only other F2P game I play other than APB. So if you play runes of magic, why do you play. If you stopped playing why? Or if you heard about it and haven't tried it why the wait?

http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/downloads,client,us.html

Discuss :3

I've been playing it for some time, got my main character to lvl 67/60. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    - you can initially play without any money investment. Until you reach lvl 55, there is no point in using item store as everything you need is given as quest rewards and in gift bags. After lvl55 this is entirely different story,
    - dual (triple) class system is nice if you don't want to level alts just to switch from tank/healer/dps role to another (to some extent only, different classes use different gear so if you want to be good at two roles you usually need two sets of gear)
    - recently added feature to buy diamonds in game (limited amount per day) gives you small chance of playing purely free but it generally applies to players who do not tackle the hardest content (HM instances)
    - cosmetics are great, you can customize your look in many ways and this is what I want in WoW (well we'll be given that in 4.3 I heard).
    - housing system is nice too. I miss that very very much in WoW (too bad Blizz doesn't want to implement it).

Cons:
    - game is extremely buggy, everyday I play, I experience several crashes. Also new content is usually a bug-fest (especially festival events)
    - game is extremely gear oriented and upgrading gear = you have to buy items in item shop. A lot of items: refinement jewels, fusion stones, armor drillers. If you don't want to spend RL money, you will become stuck very fast.
    - after reaching level cap there is not much to do for players who are not interested in running group content. There are no reputations to get, crafting is poorly designed, players usually go and farm gold in lower level instances but this is boring as hell.
    - no public test server means that players are usually surprised by ninja nerfs/content changes/buggy content
    - GOLDSELLERS spamfest,
    - GOLDSELLERS spamfest,
    - GOLDSELLERS spamfest

I stopped playing mainly because I was bored to death. I can't run instances due to RL activities so there is not much for me to do after reaching level cap. In addition, in-game economy went mad due to goldsellers who are spamming all channels. They probably know some kind of exploit to dupe gold and are flooding the game with it. This causes AH prices to go mad and casual players who value their carefully hoarded gold cannot even buy gear upgrades on AH. And bugs in the game are horrific. Recent festival was so buggy that many ppl quit after it (they had to invest many item shop items to get certain achievement but game bug prevented them from getting it, game publishers refused to compensate).

In short: unless you are REALLY out of money and DESPERATELY need to play a "free to play" mmo, stay away from RoM. It is not worth the effort. If you can spent a little on the game and like microtransaction model, you could always try LoTRO. Much better game imo.

Deleted
    I disagree about that gear building part because my own experience as free-to-play Runes of Magic player for over 3 years is that I was stucked only as long as I really didn't know what to wear at start or how to mod (I don't count the simplest possible modding style because that's also the most expensive one)

You can play up to 70-level and do most of instances that people do there anyway without any kind of money investment. I have played it from beta version without stops now probably 3 years, and even before shell gear and memento systems I was able to reach second highest instance without any problems after I just found out how to do it.

By the way, if someone is interested to test it and needs temporary guild, check out: uglygoblin.blogspot.fi

I think main reason why Runes of Magic is kept as "pay to play game" what becomes to gear, is that it's just very different in gear issues and most of people coming there judge it straight away after their first rush to reach level cap and do lot of noobish supposes about how things are without really knowing it. For example even now when level cap is 70 beginners tend to ignore all gear below level cap even if:

- 55-level ring is still best for all DPS and one of the best even for priests
    - There is 55-level set dropping from 55-level instance that is still good and strong set for 70-level. It is nothing compared to 70-level sets, but in fact many people use/used it without any problems even in 65-level 12-man instances
    - Also level 60-set that is wearable same time, is still very popular on 70-level characters that deal great DPS

For this reason gearing up in Runes of Magic requires lot of knowledge as free to play but it is still possible and doesn't even necessarily require that much grinding. In Runes of Magic you should instead of hurrying to 70-level fastest possible way develop your gear AND your level same time after 55-level or else you waste double time to both. When looking even our top guilds gears some months ago many were wearing all kind of stuff 55+ in 15 levels higher instances and it worked. Most of people whining about gear ignore totally everything below 70-level and believe me: that's big mistake.

Also modding system is actually very complicated, but this also offers more options for everyone to built different kind of gear with different costs.

For example modding one temporary gear piece without finding out how to do it costs at least 1,2 kk gold, but if you know what to do and place little less stats to same item, you can craft whole gear of 15 pieces with same 1,2kk gold and still have 80% of same stats. Most of people whining around how you "have to" pay to play haven't even figured out how to do this - I have seen many sad examples about that.

Some time ago there have also been added many new features to make it easier for free-to-plays and all new players. For example great accessory sets and weapons that all are usable in top instances. Only thing costing in them is to get those refined to +16 - but for that you have all the time and efforts usable if you just know how to set things to right importance order.

As exception to all said in this topic I would like to add that tanking as primary class tank (= knight that is useless for DPS) costs a lot except if you are willing to use hours per day grinding, because takes long time before you will be able to hold enough aggro to get any parties (because you have to hold aggro of all kind of pay-to-plays too). So if you are willing to play free-to-play tank, you probably start easier and tank faster (in IRL-time) in some of slightly tanking weighted DPS combinations like Warrior/Knight, Rogue/Knight or Warden/Warrior (first one is primary and second one secondary class because all combinations here are unique).

I love Runes of Magic because I see this all interesting and I enjoy learning new about game every day - and I have always had fun in instances, in 55-level ones, in 60-ones and in 70-ones: that are all made daily by people of different levels which is great too because too harsh separating based on level only would be boring

And only time I ever needed other diamonds that those that can be bought from NPC for ingame gold, was when I decided to built own guild castle... As free to play you can decorate less, you need more patience, more planning and less big ego, but yes you can do your way to gear that top instances require - if you aren't unskilled. (My blog Uglygoblin.blogspot.fi tells more about ways to play it as free to play and collects links needed for that. It's still under process though.)
    Last edited by mmocea8bd37acf; 2012-06-08 at 03:39 PM.