Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dragonwrath quest in Nexus

I'm currently having a heck of a time with the last boss. Mainly because my pet bugs out and wont dispel. I've read websites and am currently using a survival affliction spec to keep my health up. When my pet bugs out he wont dispel. I've moved him, kept him on passive, made a macro but he just wont work with me.

Have any warlocks been able to just dps through his healing buff? If so.. what spec and pet did you use?

~Desperate & frustrated lock.

I did the quest a few weeks ago. After several hours of working on it in multiple specs I took a few days break from trying it. I ended up using my raid demo spec however a few tips I could give is:

1- don't let your pet attack thy. (this keeps him from bugging out)
    2- have a pet attack macro for the adds
    3- pre-pop all cd's
    4- keep curse of tongues up 100 percent of the time.
    5- DONT run down the ramp like a lot of people suggest. What I finally realized was he dropped aggro off of me and killed my dg. Just run along the outside of the platform using felflame.
    6- Dont give up. Its hard but you feel pretty good afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you!
    I really appreciate that. I'll go try that now.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty accurate post by papadots. go straight up pve demo and blow all cds off the bat. having shadowflame glyphed helps a lot as you can slow the boss when he flies to the other side of the platform. fel pup on passive helps. i tried this as affliction and had similar problems. tried as destro, with a pvp destro spec for conflag snares, but when i went pve demo i 1 shot this guy, while i wiped repeatedly using other various specs.

Agree with all above + keep Shadow protection on CD use soulburn with Healthstone.
    Use spell lock and i think you can devour a magic as well.
    I simply used my PVP specc but it took a while before i killed him

Deleted
    I used Aff spec for it. CoTongues, Spell Lock pretty much on cooldown to interrupt his bolts and especially Devour Magic any of his health regens.
    These days I'd probably just Demon burn him as well.

The boss is very doable as either affliction or demonology. Nuking with all cooldowns as demo is the quickest way to kill him. I was first in line to get the staff and I did this quest a few months ago as affliction with a pretty low item level. The trick as affliction is to keep your pet on passive and control him fully with macros and such. I put my pet on passive and had him attack the adds as they came up the ramp while I just focused on dodging his flame. When the time comes to dispel his shield bring your pet over and soulswap onto the add. It took a lot of pet micro management and a bit of time, but in the end it's worth it. Just wait til you get to your smouldering essence grind...

Quote Originally Posted by papadots View Post
    I did the quest a few weeks ago. After several hours of working on it in multiple specs I took a few days break from trying it. I ended up using my raid demo spec however a few tips I could give is:

1- don't let your pet attack thy. (this keeps him from bugging out)
    2- have a pet attack macro for the adds
    3- pre-pop all cd's
    4- keep curse of tongues up 100 percent of the time.
    5- DONT run down the ramp like a lot of people suggest. What I finally realized was he dropped aggro off of me and killed my dg. Just run along the outside of the platform using felflame.
    6- Dont give up. Its hard but you feel pretty good afterwards.
    Pretty much this , kudos to papadots fpr keeping it simple.
    Took me quite a few tries but what papadots stated is how i did it second attempt. Dont let pet attack , i made a macro for the adds but i didnt bother doing a macro for the dispell thing so thats up to you i guess.

Sorted.

I used felhunter to dispel his healing buff every time he used it and to disrupt a spell cast occasionally.

If you have BIG probs, use soulstone... glyph it. Be affliction, reforge for a lower hit cap... all the above suggestions are good. Although I had better luck going down and up the bridge.. use deathcoil on the adds and send your felhunter to attack. Drain life is your friend, use shadow ward on cd...

There's a lot of methods to do it, I personally went PVE affliction, put a portal up on the platform and would run halfway down the ramp before porting back up for the breath - the breath never hit me once. Even when my felhunter died, I just popped soulburn and instant summoned another one, it's not that big of a problem. But yeah, keep your felhunter on passive or he'll bug out, macro devour magic and try to position your felhunter yourself instead of relying on the terribad pet AI. Glyph of Healthstone can be a life-saver for this fight, don't forget to use soul swap for the adds. Nuke the adds down fast, fire nova hurts and counterspell can end up with you dying quickly. Once you get him over the 25% HP threshold (or 800k HP or something, I can't remember the exact number) you pretty much have him beaten.

If you spell lock it at the get go, it lands for a while so your pet can attack it D: I'm not sure if they changed it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rivvy View Post
    If you spell lock it at the get go, it lands for a while so your pet can attack it D: I'm not sure if they changed it or not.
    Nope still works, just did it last night. Full pve demo, popped all cool downs, was super easy.

Deleted
    papadots advice is good. Also, always keep an eye on your pet - if it looks like it is bugged again (stands in the fire, stands somewhere else doing nothing and not reacting), be prepared to (instant) summon it again (preferable at the end of the platform, where the dragon will stop flying around and buff himself). You'll loose a soulshard or casting time doing so, but it is much better than missing a dispell!

i tried with my PvE affliction spec like 7 times till i got mad and respecced to Demo and just nuked it down.

still was using the felpup to dispell/interupt, but it went well.

i 1 shot it after that.

gl !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTtDPlgrGOI

It isn't a guide, but after searching through a lot of pages, this was the only thing that helped me.
    Last edited by Garretdejiko; 2011-10-29 at 01:21 PM.

Deleted
    took me several hours of trial and error, although a lot of that was down to the pet bug.
    ie pet standing in fire after being sent to attack mobs, (set to passive) and refusing to obey move to commands or attack anything except the fire.
    I went my standard affliction build and used a power aura warning for the healing debuff to be interrupted.

papadots pretty much nailed it on the head with there description. After speaking to a couple of guildies (a mage and a shaman) who have both done the quest it would seem locks have the hardest time doing this part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not have fire between your pet and the dragon when you're trying to dispell. Once I moved around this inconvenience, the boss was dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used a survival affliction spec and had to reglyph. I left my pet in the middle set on passive. It only dispels the boss and attacks the adds. Keep CoT on the boss and DoT him up and drain life. To deal with the adds, for me, they died with just pet attack and with me putting corruption and/or BoA. I forgot, its been a while lol. Anyways, it'll take a few attempts as it comes down to luck as well... you know, as the pet bugs on you or not hehe.