Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Regard's to Tanks/PvP

Hello Guys,

I am sure I read somewhere that there will be some sort of system/feature that makes tanks viable in PvP? I am really curious if anybody could elaborate on this (NDA exclusive ofc)?

Reason I ask is because I really want to focus on PvP but PvE wise I love to tank, and as there is not Dual Spec at launch I have to choose. Go Tank or find a PvP Spec!

(EDIT)

Strickly speaking this is coming from a Sith Jugg point of view (if it helps)

Thanks,
    Kieran

Without breaking the NDA I can tell you yes tanks are viable in PvP!

Abilities like "Taunt" can be used on opposing players. Here is a great article for you to take a look at.

http://torwars.com/2011/09/19/soakin...E2%80%99s-pvp/

enjoy!

Guard and Taunt:

Guard basically is like Spirit Link where you put the buff on a player and you take 50% of the damage done to your link. 5% damage reduction on the targeted player as well

Taunt is a damage debuff to one player, and I think your AoE taunt does the same thing
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Without breaking the NDA I can tell you yes tanks are viable in PvP!

Abilities like "Taunt" can be used on opposing players. Here is a great article for you to take a look at.

http://torwars.com/2011/09/19/soakin...E2%80%99s-pvp/

enjoy!
    That is absolutely amazing. You have just decided my class for me, thankyou very much!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am hoping they make it so that healers are not as powerful as they are in WoW and somewhat depend on a mate for defense. I am also really looking forward to this difference and eventually the GW2 take on roles.

All in all, MMOs will never be the same come the new year. Each will pick and choose other strong points from other games and it will be a glorious time for gamers.
    I like sandwiches

Arguably tanks should have no place in PvP. Their function is to mitigate aggro, and the only aggro present in PvP comes from pets.
    Last edited by MrWolly; 2011-10-27 at 10:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Arguably tanks should have no place in PVP. Their function is to mitigate aggro, and the only aggro present in PvP comes from pets.
    Glad that you are not designing these games. I think not having tank types in pvp is nonsense.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Glad that you are not designing these games. I think not having tank types in pvp is nonsense.
    Eh, I'm a story writer, not a gameplay manager.

What kind of damage output do tanks in SW:ToR have?

More specifically, Vanguard. Is this NDA breaking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post

I really think it's hard to give a specific number as there is no "Damage Meter" at this time, and yes mate, NDA <3's You!

And no tanks in pvp? then lets say no healers in pvp either. Im glad a game is incorperating all roles into pvp other than, grab a flag run around and hit cooldowns..

Tanks make great flag carriers and of course you need a tank for the "end boss" in both Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. The only real drawback to tanks is that they have low dps against targets with a great deal of resilience (in most cases anyway). You might never die and you might not kill anyone else either. If it is a random BG then go for it. If you are working with an arena team then I'd talk it over with them first before your next match.

Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post

They're okay - not sure how they really match up to others, but tanks also do have some nice CC abilities - of course, so does everyone really, but with Guard and Taunt working in PvP, I can see tanks certainly being a good support player in PvP, defending squishier allies, and CCing more deadly enemies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barpig View Post
    Tanks make great flag carriers and of course you need a tank for the "end boss" in both Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. The only real drawback to tanks is that they have low dps against targets with a great deal of resilience (in most cases anyway). You might never die and you might not kill anyone else either. If it is a random BG then go for it. If you are working with an arena team then I'd talk it over with them first before your next match.
    Think you might be confused as to what game you're posting about.

OT: From what I've heard from people and seen from videos in conventions tanks will be quite useful, since their Taunts and Guard abilities are tweaked to actually work in a PvP situation. I might be going that route in PvP since I'm leveling a Sith Juggernaut (specced Vengeance for PvE purposes), might prove useful to be a tank when they implement Rated Warzones (they've stated this is a feature they definitely want to add after launch) so I can help my guild.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Barpig View Post
    Yeah sorry wrong game bro, this is SW:ToR forum thread, but i say tanks dont do great dmg at all BUT they will not be in there for that, they will be there to save others with taunt and guard and to take a beating to slow the enemies down and to help carry the ball in Huttball(man its hard but fun)

Arguably tanks should have no place in PvP. Their function is to mitigate aggro, and the only aggro present in PvP comes from pets.
    To be fair, allowing tanks to have a function in PvP increases peoples' reasoning for rolling one
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I would argue that they are also there to soak up the dmg no one else can with stand. As such, they are GREAT for PVP with the guard and taunt abilities... But opinions are subjective and all that.

I love the fact that some of WAR's programmers are on the SW:TOR dev team. I HATE WoW pvp, but LOVED WAR's, and it's looking like SW:TOR will be fun to me as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the way tanks are in PvP.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    This may give me a reason to make a tank and pvp in SWTOR
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm a story writer, not a gameplay manager.
    An HR office somewhere actually made a smart decision for once.

Glad to see that nobody else feels that tanks should not be in pvp.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    To be fair, allowing tanks to have a function in PvP increases peoples' reasoning for rolling one
    Indeed. It seems stupid that just because you enjoy a certain role, you are excluded from certain aspects of the game, in fact, it's absolutely retarded. As such, I am extremely happy about Bioware's efforts to make Tanks viable and useful in PvP.