Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Plasma tv and computer

I have a 42 inch Plasma tv from panasonic with 2x HDMI. My question is; Can i use my tv to connect my rig or do i need a
    monitor?

Trying to see if i can save money by not buying a monitor for now!

Thanks

I think you should be able to, i do that with a projector. but idk, you can do what i did, try it and find out! =P you will probably have to mess with the settings to get it to look right though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    Run around in circles till u see a big number (20k+) and in yellow flash on ur screen. Then stop running
    Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    Sorry people but you need to accept DPS is about as stressful as making a bowl of cereal.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks!

I'm building my first rig and i was hoping to invest more in GPU and MB, instead of having to buy a Monitor!

Deleted
    You'll need a good card for high resolutions on such a big screen but yes, you can do it using hdmi ports if you have a hdmi capable GPU

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please be extremely cautious using a plasma tv as your monitor. Plasma tv's are EXTREMELY prone to burn-in, and even the television's white wash feature may not correct the problem.

If you still want to use it as your display, most plasma televisions have VGA capabilities (the blue monitor cable) If you're unfamiliar with this, feel free to post your TV's model #, along with your video card model # in your computer, and I'm sure people will be glad to help.

Bad idea. Picture can 'burn in' to plasma screen if it stays constant for hours, like for example desktop wallpaper or toolbars.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully os's still have screensavers
    and honestly its just as much risk to watching tv for burnin on a plasma as most of the channels have those stupid logo watermarks that stay on constantly.

Tv's make bad monitors... that's really all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by potentmage View Post
    You'll need a good card for high resolutions on such a big screen but yes, you can do it using hdmi ports if you have a hdmi capable GPU
    Even a 60" plasma will still only have 1080p resolution... same as my 21.5" monitor.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Thankfully os's still have screensavers
    Using screensaver during WoW raid to prevent UI from burning in... Yeah, still bad idea.

and honestly its just as much risk to watching tv for burnin on a plasma as most of the channels have those stupid logo watermarks that stay on constantly.
    Most of the people I know sometimes changes the channel :P
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    same as my 21.5" monitor.
    Or the same as a decent 15'' Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by blastoma View Post
    If you still want to use it as your display, most plasma televisions have VGA capabilities (the blue monitor cable) If you're unfamiliar with this, feel free to post your TV's model #, along with your video card model # in your computer, and I'm sure people will be glad to help.
    Better idea to route it through HDMI. Almost all GPUs have that, and if not - a DVI to HDMI will work fine. Using VGA is not recommended.

TVs usually don't stay on for as long, use pixel shifting, many watermarks (here at least) are transparent or at least still tend to shift about every now and then (particularly with advertisements).
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-28 at 11:07 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the input! I won't risk my plasma being burn!